Urgent advice required - Non Starter (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi
We are stuck in the Eurotunnel car park and the non-starter won’t work! We have the round fob and have rang the emergency line but they can’t help.

Had anyone else had this issue and know what we can do?

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not by any chance near any overhead power lines or are they working on site using big generator. Just wondering if it's jammed due to interfearance.

Jan 9, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1998
Hi
We are stuck in the Eurotunnel car park and the non-starter won’t work! We have the round fob and have rang the emergency line but they can’t help.

Thanks
The batteries in the fob may be flat?

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks we have managed to get it started. Not sure what went wrong or but after a rather long phone call to MetaTrak who could help. We called the breakdown out but the Eurotunnel sent someone and they just started it first time! Honestly what a nightmare missed our crossing so waiting for the next now! Hope it restarts when it’s time to board!

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We had a non start issue but it wasn’t related to the Non-starter. We changed the starter motor and it never happened again (so far!)
Have you checked the electrics, could it be a loose lead?
UPDATE
Pleased to see you’ve started, sounds similar to ours but I don’t think the non starter was the issue. Our problem occurred when the engine got very hot.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Thanks we have managed to get it started. Not sure what went wrong or but after a rather long phone call to MetaTrak who could help. We called the breakdown out but the Eurotunnel sent someone and they just started it first time! Honestly what a nightmare missed our crossing so waiting for the next now! Hope it restarts when it’s time to board!
Exact same happened to us last year in St Malo. Pulled up at campsite & switched off. Wouldnt start again when I returned to the van. After 20 mins it did start so we drove to the pitch turned the van off and it wouldnt start again. All light were on but it wouldnt turn over. Tried disconnecting battery, enabled and disabled the non start, but still nothing. Called Nationwide and a french recovery vehicle turned up and it started first turn of the key. OBD scanner didnt find anything. It was fine after that until March this year when the same happened again. It did eventually start after 10 minutes or so.
Meta trak reckoned it was because I had not given enough time for the non start to turn off fully which I still cant work out. I used to use the non start all the time, but am very carefull where I use it now as I dont want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used to use the non start all the time,

I only use the non-starter when my van and keys are in the same place and I'm not there. Such as when the van is at home, the keys are in the house and I'm away.

Its primary design is to stop theft with your own keys, so why set it, when the keys are in your pocket?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I only use the non-starter when my van and keys are in the same place and I'm not there. Such as when the van is at home, the keys are in the house and I'm away.

Its primary design is to stop theft with your own keys, so why set it, when the keys are in your pocket?

So, if a thief has your keys, they can still start the engine? Is that correct, please? We're looking at having this system fitted (as well as a Growler) but, after your comment above, I'm not sure I understand totally how it works :unsure:

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
So, if a thief has your keys, they can still start the engine? Is that correct, please? We're looking at having this system fitted (as well as a Growler) but, after your comment above, I'm not sure I understand totally how it works :unsure:
The non starter is armed/disarmed using your mobile phone( I believe the newest versions use Bluetooth, but I'm not sure) Even if a potential thief has your keys they cannot start the engine.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Meta trak reckoned it was because I had not given enough time for the non start to turn off fully which I still cant work out.
I have a Sprinter based van with a Vanbitz Metatrak non starter, occasionally I turn the key and nothing happens, I turn it off wait a few seconds and it starts okay but it doesn't happen very often.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Not by any chance near any overhead power lines or are they working on site using big generator. Just wondering if it's jammed due to interfearance.
Hi.
Had this at " Kingsmill Hospital " i was parked near the X'ray/power unit... DON'T LAUGH.... BUT I was told to move it along pushing it away a bit from the area and it then started.
A mate had taken his girlfriend in the dark of the night up to Black Rocks W/worth.......... When they came to leave,his motor would not start, he rolled it forward a little much and it started........ " Black Rocks..PLUS TV booster 1...-... Mates car 0 " Idea...Worth a punt...
Tea Bag

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Sprinter based van with a Vanbitz Metatrak non starter, occasionally I turn the key and nothing happens, I turn it off wait a few seconds and it starts okay but it doesn't happen very often.
I have a Crafter (Sprinter in disguise) without any sort of non-starter and this happens to me as well sometimes, I wasn't sure if it was the van not picking up the chip in the keyfob?

Funny sidenote, years ago I replaced a keyfob case for the misses car not realising that there was the little black chip in the old case, promptly through the old one away:whistle:.
Wife was not best pleased the following morning when her car wouldn't start, I was already at work, and she was less pleased when I told her she needed to rummage through the bin to retrieve the old fob:oops:

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
It's ok, Lyrick answered above. I didn't realise it worked on an app. It's probably not for us, in that case.
Have a look at a system like a Ghost 2. Immobilises the vehicle until you enter a (user settable) PIN code using buttons on the steering wheel and/or dash. No app needed.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Have a look at a system like a Ghost 2. Immobilises the vehicle until you enter a (user settable) PIN code using buttons on the steering wheel and/or dash. No app needed.

Great! Thank you so much :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I have a Crafter (Sprinter in disguise) without any sort of non-starter and this happens to me as well sometimes, I wasn't sure if it was the van not picking up the chip in the keyfob?

Funny sidenote, years ago I replaced a keyfob case for the misses car not realising that there was the little black chip in the old case, promptly through the old one away:whistle:.
Wife was not best pleased the following morning when her car wouldn't start, I was already at work, and she was less pleased when I told her she needed to rummage through the bin to retrieve the old fob:oops:
Did the same with my son's Iveco 🫣

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The app is simple to use, I wouldn't discount it until you've seen someone demonstrate how it works, it's probably the best security system available.

It's not the ease of use. I don't have a smartphone :)

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
to clarify our van is 4 years old. The non starter has been great. We had a similar issue last year I Italy that was quickly resolved on the phone and the engine started after 15 mins or so. Last night nothing was happening despite the restarts. Yes the electrical issues of being near train lines could have caused a temporary interference issue we will probably never know. We will be checking the battery etc on return to England as we also have had the airbag issue (2020 van ).

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Hi

Thanks
We had a similar problem. Was the battery in immobiliser fob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back