Urgent advice required - Non Starter (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Is there a fob that goes with the vanbitz installed meta track non starter? I thought it was just controlled by the app?

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I had similar symptoms over a couple of years. I was suspicious of the non-start and contacted Ash VanBitz about disabling the device. He gave excellent advice over the phone ( I was in Denmark at the time) so it was no longer connected to the system…..,Problem continued.
What appeared to fix it was changing the starter motor. Non starter was reconnected and continues to work well.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Genuinely if anyone needs to know about their system it’s best to call Van Bitz direct and ask.

I started calling the “No Start” system the “Non Starter” back in the noughties.

It was an SMS controlled GPS remote immobiliser.

Loads of changes and improvements since then. Add to the mix people buying used vans, that had the Non Starter by the original owner, who made their choice from a range of options, which being a security product subsequent owners may not even be aware of, it’s difficult to ascertain “what” a Non Starter system should have.

At Van Bitz HQ look up the original installation file (Every Van Bitz installation has been carefully documented since the early Nineties) and every aspect of the installation is written down in black and white

Last edited:

AshVanBitz

Funster
Aug 7, 2018
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Hi all,

Just catching up on this thread so wanted to send a very quick message. The Non Starter has had multiple variations over the years and some of the later models can be remotely modified to bring them to the latest specification.

If anyone feels that there system isn't performing to its fullest potential and/or you are interested to see if your current setup can be changed, please give the office a call on 01823321992 and speak to either myself or one of my colleagues. We can then access your records and see if there are any options available.

Kindest regards

Ash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The reason I don't have a smartphone is because I don't want apps. I don't have a tablet, either.
I'm 75 and been in technology since I was a kid (amature radio). That being so both my sons are in high level technology jobs.
We all (wife included) know to suspect and distrust many aspects if the modern connected world but conversely know that it can be a boon to modern living.
Example, as I type this sat on a French aire my wife wanted to know where the nearest supermarket was - enter Google maps on her smart phone, found the supermarket and the route to it.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I'm 75 and been in technology since I was a kid (amature radio). That being so both my sons are in high level technology jobs.
We all (wife included) know to suspect and distrust many aspects if the modern connected world but conversely know that it can be a boon to modern living.
Example, as I type this sat on a French aire my wife wanted to know where the nearest supermarket was - enter Google maps on her smart phone, found the supermarket and the route to it.

I still don't want a smartphone :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Unless I was pretty ancient or unlikely to want to leave the confines of Sherborne within the next few years I think it will be almost impossible to live in the modern world without a smartphone and the ability to use apps. Currently alternatives have to be offered but they are aimed at the elderly, that may be ageist but it’s true eg BT and their going digital.

One of our group at the gym is in her 70’s and is very fit and active but has never embraced technology. Fortunately there are lots of us who have who can help her. However we see 1st hand how she is very becoming a 2nd class citizen. She needs regular blood tests because of her medication plus GP and hospital appointments. She does get them but they require hours of phone calls whereas her friend at the same surgery can do most of it online.

I’m not criticising HKF I hasten to add but I don’t think she’s old and she does like to travel. This will become increasingly complex. Might be worth reconsidering. A basic smartphone can be a useful tool.

Feb 15, 2022
Crieff, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2014
I had a similar experience. I was driving a Nissan Elgrand with keyless ignition and a warning came up on the dash indicating the key was not 'seen'. Next stop and the car would not restart. It turned out that my own car key (Vauxhall Ampera) which is also keyless, was in my jacket pocket and it was swamping the Nissan receiver. I put my jacket in the back of the Elgrand and all was fine.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Unless I was pretty ancient or unlikely to want to leave the confines of Sherborne within the next few years I think it will be almost impossible to live in the modern world without a smartphone and the ability to use apps. Currently alternatives have to be offered but they are aimed at the elderly, that may be ageist but it’s true eg BT and their going digital.

One of our group at the gym is in her 70’s and is very fit and active but has never embraced technology. Fortunately there are lots of us who have who can help her. However we see 1st hand how she is very becoming a 2nd class citizen. She needs regular blood tests because of her medication plus GP and hospital appointments. She does get them but they require hours of phone calls whereas her friend at the same surgery can do most of it online.

I’m not criticising HKF I hasten to add but I don’t think she’s old and she does like to travel. This will become increasingly complex. Might be worth reconsidering. A basic smartphone can be a useful tool.

You're right, I'm not old.....well, not TOO old....and I do travel a lot. I also own two successful global businesses. I manage exceptionally well on my laptop and have no need or desire for a smartphone :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
As I started this post I would like to add that we have been very happy with the growler and non starter in our van for almost the last 4 years. I would put the same system in again tomorrow.
Still not sure why we had the blip might not of been non starter related (seemed like it) but luckily after giving it a rest we got it going and haven’t had any further issues. Vanbitz are always super helpful when I’ve called in the past. AshVanBitz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back