Upgrading 12V system - equipment choices and compromises

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I like it but I'll stick with app and my wine bottle to check for tilt. We have a voltronic display for quick access to solar and battery status if we didn't that display would be perfect.

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I'm thinking of trying to link the devices with the Renogy COM port networking gadget, though only the Core One and the B2B/MPPT controller have ports, the Shunt does not. Also though annoyingly they show an inverter very similar to mine also connected, from what I have gleaned online the current generation of inverters only support the remote control panel plug, not a data plug. It looks like there are new ones coming with a data port but I think only available in the US at the moment. Not sure if there would be any benefit if only 2 out of 4 devices can use this.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with this.

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
An update on the noisy 50A Fogstar mains charger:

I replaced the 60mm fan in the unit with one linked below. It has a marginally lower flow rate of 17 cfm v 19 cfm, which I don't think is an issue, but it is so much quieter that I can now only hear it if I put my ear close to the dinette base where it is installed. Huge improvement. Should I ever experience overheating I could even fit a second fan and still have nowhere near the noise of the original.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (60mm, Brown) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LEKGGE?tag=mhf04-21

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
An update on the noisy 50A Fogstar mains charger:

I replaced the 60mm fan in the unit with one linked below. It has a marginally lower flow rate of 17 cfm v 19 cfm, which I don't think is an issue, but it is so much quieter that I can now only hear it if I put my ear close to the dinette base where it is installed. Huge improvement. Should I ever experience overheating I could even fit a second fan and still have nowhere near the noise of the original.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (60mm, Brown) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LEKGGE?tag=mhf04-21
Noctua fans are great - have them in the last two PC's, very quiet and long lasting.

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
An update on the Renogy COM port networking device:

I found one for sale at only £20 or so, so decided to give it a go as it was fairly easy to run a couple of network cables to the Core One display and the B2B/MPPT controller, and I was quite keen to reduce reliance on Bluetooth as it can be a bit iffy, though to be fair it has all worked well on the Renogy kit.

I was concerned that as the Renogy shunt has no COM port and only has its built in Bluetooth that the system would not handle a mix of BT and COM connections. However after unpairing everything and then connecting up it all worked completely transparently. The Core One display now acts as the communications hub for the phone app and the BT-2 transmitter I had been using with the B2B is now redundant.

I get all the info I want on both the wall mounted display and the phone app, but might consider upgrading to a newer generation inverter which has a COM port at some point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I have now reconsidered the location of the B2B/MPPT controller. I originally had it inside the dinette seat base but it was extremely tricky to fit it in there and once in it was very inaccessible should I ever need to get at the connections and it was almost impossible to see the indicator lights on the front.

Although it was near to the Truma heater, the controller would not be running in B2B mode while parked, so would not be getting heat from that, which seems very well insulated anyway. However I noticed that when delivering the full 50A from the alternator its internal temp went up quite quickly as reported in the app. This made me wonder if despite its large heatsink it might overheat in the confined space under the seat due to limited airflow.

I decided to move it to the location under the back of the passenger seat vacated by the original Schaudt B2B, where it just fitted. The recablng was easier than I had feared and actually resulted in the high current runs (alternator input and output to leisure battery) being shorter, and the low current cables from the isolation switch I had fitted in the solar panel wiring being longer, so worth the effort.

Picture below. The voltage displays on the seat back lower panel, red for starter battery and green for the leisure battery, are a bit redundant now that I have that information in the Renogy app, but I quite like them so will be keeping them connected!

20241024_144045.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
I have now reconsidered the location of the B2B/MPPT controller. I originally had it inside the dinette seat base but it was extremely tricky to fit it in there and once in it was very inaccessible should I ever need to get at the connections and it was almost impossible to see the indicator lights on the front.

Although it was near to the Truma heater, the controller would not be running in B2B mode while parked, so would not be getting heat from that, which seems very well insulated anyway. However I noticed that when delivering the full 50A from the alternator its internal temp went up quite quickly as reported in the app. This made me wonder if despite its large heatsink it might overheat in the confined space under the seat due to limited airflow.

I decided to move it to the location under the back of the passenger seat vacated by the original Schaudt B2B, where it just fitted. The recablng was easier than I had feared and actually resulted in the high current runs (alternator input and output to leisure battery) being shorter, and the low current cables from the isolation switch I had fitted in the solar panel wiring being longer, so worth the effort.

Picture below. The voltage displays on the seat back lower panel, red for starter battery and green for the leisure battery, are a bit redundant now that I have that information in the Renogy app, but I quite like them so will be keeping them connected!

View attachment 969760
I have fitted the 30a Renogy b2b but I haven't noticed any heat. I will now monitor it to feel if it gets warm. Good info on your installation.

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I have fitted the 30a Renogy b2b but I haven't noticed any heat. I will now monitor it to feel if it gets warm. Good info on your installation.
Glad to hear it might have been useful info!

I moved it as much for better accessibility as for better airflow, but I think heat might only be an issue if on a long drive with a fairly depleted battery. In that scenario it would potentially be pumping out 50A for several hours. I have fitted a switch in the D+ feed so I can disable the B2B function if I get any problems.

It should be less of an issue with the 30A model.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That's what I have on my b2b, an inline switch from the life signal. There are many times and scenarios where the b2b does not need to come on; specially at the peak of the summer when solar can re charge before noon. Or when you depart a campsite and been on ehu. Whats the point of having the b2b on? I have a switch in the cab with a led, to tell me if is on.

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
That's what I have on my b2b, an inline switch from the life signal. There are many times and scenarios where the b2b does not need to come on; specially at the peak of the summer when solar can re charge before noon. Or when you depart a campsite and been on ehu. Whats the point of having the b2b on? I have a switch in the cab with a led, to tell me if is on.
Yes, I think it was your earlier post that inspired me to do this. I just have a standard switch at the moment, located behind the opening door on the side of the dinette bench along with all the other switches. I thought about an LED in the cab so will maybe change to an illuminated switch in the cab.

On a different topic I have been using my newly installed kit to monitor power usage with a view to making sure that nothing not required is draining the leisure battery when the van is not being used. With everything switched off including the main 12V switch, it is down to less than 500mA which I think is probably acceptable though I would like to see it at zero!

However, today I was surprised to find that it had jumped up to 1.75 Amps. After some experimentation I found that with the EHU connected and the master mains switch on I got this extra load on the leisure battery which disappeared when the mains was switched off. By unplugging the 3000W invertor and making sure my Fogstar charger was switched off, I found that these weren't the culprits, so it is down to the EBL31. If I switch power to the EBL off via the RCD which powers it, the extra load disappears.

I find it very puzzling why connecting mains to the EBL should cause any extra load on the 12V supply from the leisure battery, so any thoughts on this would be welcome!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Does the EBL need a small amount of power to work?

OP
OP
fred_jb
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Does the EBL need a small amount of power to work?
Yes I'm sure it does, but what I don't understand is why the current used becomes much greater when mains is connected to the EBL as it doesn't need a mains connection to work and works perfectly well when not on an EHU.

As far as I know it only uses mains, when available, for powering its internal battery charger. It will use the mains power to trickle charger the starter battery and provide about 20A to the leisure battery, though in my case I have removed the 20A fuse as I have an alternative lithium friendly charger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back