Upgrade to eco-worthy Lifepo4 battery (2 Viewers)

Brummie64

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2024
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 590
I’ve recently bought a 2017 Burstner IXEO 590, it came with a standard 100ah lead acid battery and all the 12v electrics and charging the leisure battery is done by an EBL99.

I want to install Lifepo4 so I can go a few days off grid, so I have invested in a 280ah battery, 20amp mains charger, and a 40amp B2B, from eco-worthy.

Basically I’m assuming that if I pull the fuse for charging on the EBL99, I can then connect the B2B between the 2 batteries, via 50amp fuses, and connect the mains charger to a suitable source to top up when on EHU.
I sure this has been asked before, just wondering if this is the easiest way to do this, and still retain the functionality of the EBL99 for the 12v stuff.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes that will work but you also need to disconnect the starter battery input to the EBL to disable the split charge relay.
If you pull the 50 amp blade fuse by the starter battery that will do it.
For you B2B fit midi fuses they are more reliable than maxi blade fuses.

OP
OP
Brummie64

Brummie64

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2024
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 590
Yes that will work but you also need to disconnect the starter battery input to the EBL to disable the split charge relay.
If you pull the 50 amp blade fuse by the starter battery that will do it.
For you B2B fit midi fuses they are more reliable than maxi blade fuses.
Thanks Lenny, I was also thinking I could disconnect the starter battery feed that goes into the back of the EBL and connect it to the B2B instead. That would save another cable run.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny, I was also thinking I could disconnect the starter battery feed that goes into the back of the EBL and connect it to the B2B instead. That would save another cable run.
Yes providing the cable is man enough it will probable 16 mm² but do swap the 50 amp maxi blade fuse for a midi fuse.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have recently done something similar on my Burstner elegance that has the EBL220.
In my case i fitted 2 x 100amp ecoworthy ( only because i got them at the right price (y) ).
Advise from Lenny HB , autorouter and reading the many threads it's in and working so far but waiting on a full test at the Swaffam meet.

I pulled the fuse near the cab battery that feeds the EBL and split charge relay, ran a new cable to the B2B as this was an easier option for me.
Ref mains charging : Checking with Schaudt they advised the EBL 220 charger could be used but in reality i will pull the fuse during the summer in we are ever on hookup but that is very rare. In winter i will use a seperate mains lithium chrarger just for top up when the van is not in use and solar may be weak.
"You can usually charge lithium batteries with the setting lead-gel as long as the battery has a BMS."

A
s my batteries dont have any bluetooth i have fitted a smart shunt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have recently done something similar on my Burstner elegance that has the EBL220.
In my case i fitted 2 x 100amp ecoworthy ( only because i got them at the right price (y) ).
Advise from Lenny HB , autorouter and reading the many threads it's in and working so far but waiting on a full test at the Swaffam meet.

I pulled the fuse near the cab battery that feeds the EBL and split charge relay, ran a new cable to the B2B as this was an easier option for me.
Ref mains charging : Checking with Schaudt they advised the EBL 220 charger could be used but in reality i will pull the fuse during the summer in we are ever on hookup but that is very rare. In winter i will use a seperate mains lithium chrarger just for top up when the van is not in use and solar may be weak.
"You can usually charge lithium batteries with the setting lead-gel as long as the battery has a BMS."

A
s my batteries dont have any bluetooth i have fitted a smart shunt.
What make is the smart shunt Steve.?

OP
OP
Brummie64

Brummie64

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2024
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 590
Just about enough space!
280ah battery, B2B, mains charger, 2kw inverter, and distribution board that I fabricated to handle all the connections.
IMG_1335.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back