Up Plating this N&B Arto possible? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Hi all,
Looking at the axle weights in the photo, am I right in thinking that this could be up plated to 4.5t?

If the axles can already take the weights shown, what other changes might need to be made? Brakes, tyres, wife ?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Screenshot_20240801_211348_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch~2.jpg

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
You're coming from the dark side so are you already aware that for over 3.5 tonnes you'll need C1 category on your licence....................:unsure:
I'm so old (and my wife!) that we have C1.

Always amusing to see the classes we have compared with our son or daughter!

Mind you, my (late) father had almost every class!

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There ar
Whilst we can't easily do such long trips due to our Shengen limitations we'd quite happily live in our Carthago full-time without a problem if we had to ... We did 2 months earlier this year, then another month and are currently in Scotland planning on doing another month ... then when our Shengen allowance kicks in again ... who knows! :giggle:
There are lots of interesting places that aren't in Schengen :giggle:

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm so old (and my wife!) that we have C1.
I only mentioned it one as never knows the background to new posters.
Many, many years ago I bought a VHS player from Comet and it wasn't til I got home and opened the box that I realised that a T.V. was needed and I didn't have a T.V. :doh:
Mind you, my (late) father had almost every class!
My late father, born in 1898 never even had to take a driving test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I only mentioned it one never knows the background to new posters.
Many, many years ago I bought a VHS player from Comet and it wasn't til I got home and opened the box that I realised that a T.V. was needed and I didn't have a T.V. :doh:

I forgot to say thanks for mentioning that, sorry.

You're quite right of course, and it's impossible to determine where noobs have got to in their discovery process!

My dad was the same (1932), never did a test, just give a licence when they were introduced.

I remember stories of peeps rushing out to buy Windows 95, without realising they needed a computer.

The power of marketing!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are lots of interesting places that aren't in Schengen :giggle:
I know but they're (non-UK ones) are not that easy/quick to get to, or back from, and having lost hubby's step-Mum in law this year and hubby's step dad having dementia going for a long, long time isn't ideal, there's also my 99 year old Mum too although she's in a care home, so long time travelling isn't really an option at present otherwise we'd be off. We're happy enough doing Scotland for a month (midges permitting! :eek:) as we've used up our Schengen allowance until next month when we will start to get a couple of months 'back', but won't go again probably until mid/late November for 2 months, maybe 3 if we decide to change the house insurance to allow it to be left longer than the 60 days we have at present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My late Boss, a very well known academic, said at the start of his speech at his retirement do that there were the genuine, the fake and the failed. He said his qualification was fake.

Lots of sharp intakes of breath as there had been a widely reported case of fake qualifications at the same university. He then said being Irish he learned to drive before tests came in so was just granted his full licence after stating he'd been driving for a certain length of time.

He also told us when the Irish equivalent of the MOT was introduced there were very few places to take a vehicle to be tested. He drove 50 miles to get his car tested and when he got to the testing station was asked how far he had come. "That's a long way, it must be a good car." Then he was given the pass certificate with no further tests!!

Such a nice person, full of stories of his childhood in rural Ireland but he didn't stand incompetence twice!!

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2015
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since 2010
Just up plated our 2014 Arto after a visit to a weigh bridge. With our usual stuff, bikes, bit of food, beer, and full tank of water we were almost at the limit, 2400 rear and 2040 front! It was plated at 4500 from the factory.
The max we could go to is 4800kg, 2700 rear and 2100 (unchanged) front. It cost an arm and a leg as we needed air assist on the rear axle (Alko so ÂŁ2k), new wheels and new tyres. It needed new tyres anyway, and I prefer the new wheels.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Its 6 tonne but could go to 6950 I believe
You are correct Tam, however, a previous competitor to SVTech (RIP John Ruffles), advised me that by taking the Flair right up to 6950Kgs, it may struggle to pass a rolling brake test when fully loaded, and better to compromise at 6850Kgs, so that's what I went for back in 2020. I did wonder why just 100Kgs might make the difference between a pass and a fail, but then, who am I to question the qualified and experienced motor industry engineering expert?
We usually run at 5850kgs when in full holiday mode with E-Bikes, and with all tanks full (except waste obviously), so we have a tonne payload spare. That's a lot of beer and wine. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Deleted.
JockandRita
Jock, thanks for adding the link below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Please provide the evidence of your assertion. Otherwise you comment just damages a small business.

nicholsong
Jon Stewart

VanWeightEngineering@gmail.com
Dee is the business owner +44 7568 981882
Here you go Martin, ie, all explained in detail below, with Dee's authority. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back