Up plating questions from a newbie (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I have a Citroen Relay L3 H2 panel van which I'm about to camper convert (sort of started, but also not really)

Having previously had a T1N Sprinter front line ambulance as my first 'camper' project (it never got camperised due to being best part of 5 tonnes and having the aerodynamics of a cube and the fuel efficiency of a luxury cruise liner...), I learned how nice air suspension is on a heavier vehicle.

So, I got a Martech 5 tonne air suspension kit, partly for the ride and partly for the ability to do some rudimentary levelling.

However, this has sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole in terms of Up Plating....

There seems to be limited and sketchy information about this and I'd really like to hear from people who've been through the process.

From what I can tell at the moment SV Tech are the only people who can 'sign off' on the work (I'm open to being corrected)

However, what I'm not really clear on is quite how much work is required and it sounds like you have to do the work first and then submit it for approval?

Reading around the topic it sounds like double leaf springs at the back will also improve the ride and won't hurt the application - but what about other mods?

Do I need to put alloy wheels on (I'd rather not) - I'm pretty sure tyre choice will become important, but do I need to do anything to the brakes or front suspension?

Also, I'm basing all of this 'need' on the rumour that a PHGV attracts lower road tax. But how has it affected people's insurance (if at all)?

Again, if I've read it correctly, a PHGV classification means you're no longer a 'camper' and are restricted to 60 in a 70 etc (which actually doesn't bother me) but how does it affect MOT?

I do have a C1 licence entitlement so that bit's not a problem.

I have no idea what my final weight will be as I've not converted the van yet.

Should I just wait until that's done to make my decision, or is it worth planning for it now - and is it worth doing if I end up under weight?

So many questions, so little information!

I'll see what SV Tech say too, but wanted to hear opinions from people whose job it isn't to sell me on the idea!

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
PHGV shouldn't affect insurance.

Speed limits will be car based as long as you have finished the conversion (it meets the definition of a motor caravan) and 'unladen weight', basically the bare vehicle, is under 3.05t.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I have a Citroen Relay L3 H2 panel van which I'm about to camper convert (sort of started, but also not really)

Having previously had a T1N Sprinter front line ambulance as my first 'camper' project (it never got camperised due to being best part of 5 tonnes and having the aerodynamics of a cube and the fuel efficiency of a luxury cruise liner...), I learned how nice air suspension is on a heavier vehicle.

So, I got a Martech 5 tonne air suspension kit, partly for the ride and partly for the ability to do some rudimentary levelling.

However, this has sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole in terms of Up Plating....

There seems to be limited and sketchy information about this and I'd really like to hear from people who've been through the process.

From what I can tell at the moment SV Tech are the only people who can 'sign off' on the work (I'm open to being corrected)

However, what I'm not really clear on is quite how much work is required and it sounds like you have to do the work first and then submit it for approval?

Reading around the topic it sounds like double leaf springs at the back will also improve the ride and won't hurt the application - but what about other mods?

Do I need to put alloy wheels on (I'd rather not) - I'm pretty sure tyre choice will become important, but do I need to do anything to the brakes or front suspension?

Also, I'm basing all of this 'need' on the rumour that a PHGV attracts lower road tax. But how has it affected people's insurance (if at all)?

Again, if I've read it correctly, a PHGV classification means you're no longer a 'camper' and are restricted to 60 in a 70 etc (which actually doesn't bother me) but how does it affect MOT?

I do have a C1 licence entitlement so that bit's not a problem.

I have no idea what my final weight will be as I've not converted the van yet.

Should I just wait until that's done to make my decision, or is it worth planning for it now - and is it worth doing if I end up under weight?

So many questions, so little information!

I'll see what SV Tech say too, but wanted to hear opinions from people whose job it isn't to sell me on the idea!
How about start by taking your empty van to the weighbridge to see where your start point is on weight? Note your chassis type by reading the Axle weight plates. I don't think changing brakes etc will do anything to change your original Type approval axle weights as documented in the V5. The gross design weight is the addition of the plate axle weights and SV tech may not be able to plate above the max value. Ask them? FYI. The 'heavy chassis' version of the Sevel vans is the best and a very good chassis at 4.5T design rating (2.1T front, 2.4T rear) even the Americans do not use the same chassis at more than 4.5T.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back