Unexpected water dump despite pre-heat van. Any tips? (2 Viewers)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Adria twin 2018 (new to us)
-1 at home so heated van(electric on 240v via Truma) to 15c before filling internal tank, and Truma 4e boiler, with 100L. I’d assumed that using the heater would help the boiler stay warm, so used this rather than an external fan heater etc. All seemed fine, water stayed in.
Drove 90mins on Mway, (still sub zero temps) with can heating on.
Arrived at wild site, no water and Truma drain frost protection had pinged open (presumably on the m74 somewhere…)
Other than heating the van for longer I can’t think of any way to prevent this?
Fortunately have a container as backup, so disaster averted, but it would be good to know if there are any other tips to help prevent this.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
back in the day we used to use pegs to keep the valve. Nowaday though its usually a push button and switch which can be taped or propped. Dont froget it though and let it freeze unless you want to pay some truma repair bills

1701448179972.png
1701448266531.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Like many others before me I used a peg to stop it doing that when I had a van with the automatic dump. I fitted a manual one on my conversion which you could also fit on yours if you wanted to.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Truma sell a heater for the dump valve about £35.
I take the valve is towards the outside of the van in a poorly insulated area, you could move the valve to a more central position in the van.
It’s in a cupboard in the garage, but it’s a pretty close to heater and a vent. Is the sensor in the blue valve/button bit?
Will explore the heater option. I was felling pretty smug when it filled up ok, less smug 100 miles later..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes the Black valve with a blue knob on top and button at the bottom as the photo in post #5.
It dumps at 3° and needs to be at 7° to be able to reset it.

They have gone up a bit in price now 50 quid.

Have a look at this thread.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Thanks for all the ideas - heated van more today, and filled, and left heating going for a while too. Heated some water too. Opened the wee door in internal garage to access pump to promote some warm air in their. So far, still full..
There is a heater vent above 6 inches away, so might get some hose to help divert some heat into it.

Aug 3, 2010
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694SL
Maybe this is a stupid thought but, would decent bubble wrap or other kind of insulation material be a method of keeping the valve warm while travelling and then remove when stationary with heating on?

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Maybe this is a stupid thought but, would decent bubble wrap or other kind of insulation material be a method of keeping the valve warm while travelling and then remove when stationary with heating on?
Good idea - Might use my bobble hat next time we move tomorrow! Better a cool head than nae water!

Reevsie

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a cheap pet blanket off Amazon (£15) works vis usb. Then wrapped it around thew valve and had a battery bank to charge it up and keep it warm. You could wire it up to a permanent power source though.

Sep 6, 2023
France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ever since late 2023
If I am reading this correctly I will have a problem in a couple of days.
Everything is drained down and opened and I am about to refill for a short trip BUT it will be too cold for the auto-dump to be re-set.

Do I put a fan heater under the vehicle and try to warm the dump valve or give up and wait until spring ?

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
This seems to be a common problem with Adria Twins. Lots of folk on the Adria Twin Facebook group have have the same thing happen. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the valve is situated quite close to the outer wall of the van? Some folk swap the automatic dump valve for a normal one. Just have to remember to open it when the time comes. Our last PVC did not have an auto dump valve.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
the valve is situated quite close to the outer wall of the van?
Valve is in the middle more or les.
I find the system ok, to prevent damage when you are not in the van.
It worked for me, when in week storage.
Next time I will dump It myself, if frost is expected, as we never stop using the van, almost every weekend, all year around (well, except some weekends during the summer, when it's umbereable).
The thing is here's not that cold in winter, so this problem is not so expected, but could happen sometimes.
IMG_20231204_181120.jpg

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Valve is in the middle more or les.
I find the system ok, to prevent damage when you are not in the van.
It worked for me, when in week storage.
Next time I will dump It myself, if frost is expected, as we never stop using the van, almost every weekend, all year around (well, except some weekends during the summer, when it's umbereable).
The thing is here's not that cold in winter, so this problem is not so expected, but could happen sometimes.
View attachment 840932
In our last van we found that heating the water up to 60 before we went to bed would keep the dump valve warm enough, but the boiler and the dump valve were next to each other. Not sure if that is the case for you. Before we found that worked, we stuck a hot water bottle next to the valve!

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
In the 2019 albums, valve is in the back of van between gas bottles and heater cupboards. Today had the van heated up in the morning, but as we drove, put a remote thermometer next to frost protection valve.
Can temp was 16-20 (not in sun) but cupboard with FPV, was 10c cooler at the back. Even with door open to try and allow van heat in.
I think that’s what happened before, during 70 mph sub zero drive, van cooled and dumped water despite pre heat.
Options seem to be;
1) If diesel heater - run this while driving
2) use gas heater while driving (if trust crash protection..?)
3) use usb per blanket heater or hot water bottle next to FPV. Use bobble hat/bubble wrap etc.
4) tape/zip tie valve open - and accept risk of boiler damage if you misjudge the temps and leave water in that freezes.
5) really preheat the van very warm before setting off, including after filling with water to help the water temperature rise as well. Heat the water in the boiler too.
6) when stopping- even for an hour, put the heating on.

I presume some Scandinavian campers can help more, but that’s my learning from this so far.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Blocking the drain pipe so that even if it trips to drain the water stays in is another reported option…at the risk of leaving frozen water damage to tank. Might be a short term solution though such as for a cold drive.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Blocking the drain pipe so that even if it trips to drain the water stays in is another reported option…at the risk of leaving frozen water damage to tank. Might be a short term solution though such as for a cold drive.
But potentially very expensive if you forget or it gets frozen solid on the drive
There is a reason why most boilers have the low temp valve.

Put a hot water bottle in the locker before you leave and replace the water every time you stop if needed.
A hot water bottle in a case retains the heat for a surprisingly long time

Sep 24, 2023
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer FreeTEC 708
Exp
My Truma 6002 frost valve also opens if the voltage drops below 11.5v or if the fuse is pulled. I lost all my water while off grid in private woods with a tall tree canopy that blocked the ligh to my solar panel hence my batteries went down. Truma have 2 none electric valves that can replace this one with, an auto thermostat release and one manual one that you need to remember to drain down in the winter.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Thanks - think mine is the mechanical blue button one. Seems like no easy solution!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If the valve is positioned on an un insulated floor the chill factor of driving along in cold or wet conditions might quickly suck the heat out of the valve. I think Lenny HB had the solution at #8.

Oct 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Haven’t found it yet
On my 2022 Twin, there is a heater duct with small cuts so the valve stays warm when the heater is on.
Maybe you could do something similar to avoid this?

View attachment 839793
We are camper van newbies and have a 2022 Hymer Free S 600 with a very similar setup to your Adria Twin with a heater duct running close to the valve, are the small cuts in the duct specifically "designed" to warm the valve that way??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back