Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
The Germans think we were when we were in Spain, I don't in fact I told them you can pay our share, 90 days is plenty for us, then I like to come home to decent real beer and decent restaurant food not a bit of meat with salad chucked on the plate
Then best you stay in Clacton, perhaps....

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Yes, I work full time with limited holidays and the 2 week and 10 day trips across the water mean everything to us, I hate driving/touring in the U.K./rip off Britain.
Yes I can’t viably get to Spain so I always turn left in France (technically it’s right but you know what I mean) and head towards Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Roll on retirement when I only will have 90 days or so in the U.K.👍👍👍
Hence why I drive a LHD motorhome👍

And nobody’s mentioned the “Sun”.

It tooks us about 5hrs to drive to Newhaven and £209 for a return crossing but once you get off that ferry it’s a totally different experience. If we had to stay in the uk I would definitely stick with a caravan because a Motorhome is totally wasted there. We only get 2wks but the trip is 100% worth it.

We’re down in the South of France on a very expensive site (Le Brasilia) which is just a bit more expensive than a CMC site but with a massive swimming complex, shops, restaurants, bars, entertainment, plenty of shower blocks the list goes on. Not everyone’s cup of tea but works for us. Oh, forget to mention the golden sands and the Med about 75mtrs from our pitch.

We got new neighbours yesterday, a retired German couple in a newish N&B Motorhome. They were telling us they come back to the same pitch every year and stay for 8wks at a time. Honestly, I can understand why.
They have not been home since October.

I could go on and on but I’m going for a quick dip in the Med then a lounge by the pool “in the sun” 😉😉
Please can I ask is the site wheelchair accessible??

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We do all. Uk and continental Europe. We do prefer to cross the water but we still have some places to visit in the uk.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I not much of an Anglophile, so the UK for the best part doesn’t apeal to me.

I’ve just crossed with Irish ferries, booked 9M motorhome , 4 people . £80

Didn’t like the drag of the ferry, which was delayed on not the vessel I chose.

Tunnel on the way back.

But currently in Brugge, €30 a night. Moving to stelplatz tomorrow at €10.

Chester CAMC site pushing £48 a night.

We are also lucky we have a house in Spain and can be flexible with flights. They have risen in price, but we still manage £25 flights.

Sadly, virtually every flight we take is bursting with loud, drunken vile brits. Because it’s the Alicante Benidorm Booze bus. In-fact, the last 4 flights were horrendous. People arrested on landing and close to landing in France due to passengers (animals) fighting with crew.

So for me, I head out of the UK when ever I can. The costs can be saved by staying on ACSI Sites/aires or stelplatz.

When we met Trev n Lil ( bigtree ) in the south if France late august / early September. We were paying €14 a night, by the river, swimming pool, bar etc.
An example being , charged £16 to stay on motorway stop i London. Had to argue we were a motorhome not HGV. Charged £16.

Calais £12.50

EHU
Water
Grey waste dump
Black Waste

Knuckle dragger

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2018
Shepperton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
30 years toodling around the UK
So here's a question what with the ever increasing price of crossing the channel. And France not being the cheapest place in terms food ect

also ferries to Spain costing a arm and a leg who just tours in the UK these days after all there's some wonderful places in n the UK to see

And for those who work with limited holidays is the continent really viable in a motorhome. Might as well get a cheap flight.

No wonder motorhome sales are stagnent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Knuckle dragger

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2018
Shepperton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
30 years toodling around the UK
When you’re still working it’s not all about cost, it’s about going somewhere you enjoy and can relax away from work. Saying that we still find it cheaper going to Germany or France for our holidays than touring the U.K., in Scotland we probably have more flexibility with wild camping but it’s normally not near much. Some of the free or cheap Aires and Stelplatz we’ve used have been amazing and in great locations, we also don’t mind paying for site and normally find them half the price of U.K. .

We are currently thinking about our first retirement trip this September, I put thinking rather than planning as we’re just going to go with the flow and chase the sun.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Given the restrictions with travel time in the EU we still love to visit places in the UK, often it’s very handy to get away for a week and be able to quickly return home for appointments etc. Folk that live in the south are at a huge advantage as we have almost a days trip for us getting to Dover.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Given the restrictions with travel time in the EU we still love to visit places in the UK, often it’s very handy to get away for a week and be able to quickly return home for appointments etc. Folk that live in the south are at a huge advantage as we have almost a days trip for us getting to Dover.
True but would you really want to live in the south of England?:LOL:

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
It’s certainly worth it for a fortnight. But agree not for anything less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I thought Shropshire was in the south:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back