Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Good Afternoon all.
Having read some of the comments regarding the costs of enjoying our motor homing likes and dislikes in this, our country, I thought my particular gripe being electric hook-up should be aired.
I was interested in visiting the Norfolk Motor home and Campervan show on the outskirts of Norwich this month.
Correct if I am wrong, but please have a look at the week-end pricing for non electric, and with it. This is taken from their web-site quoted for FOUR nights.

Click HERE to enjoy our highlights video

Camping (Pre-Booked):

Thursday – Monday = £82.00

Thursday – Monday (EHU) = £142.00

Friday – Monday = £77.00

Friday – Monday (EHU) = £137.00

Click HERE to reserve your pitch

Day Visitor:

SHOW OPENING TIMES
Friday 9:30am-5:00pm
Saturday 9:30am-5:00pm
Sunday 9:30am-4:30pm

Pre-booked: £7.00

Non-booked: £10.00

EHU at £15 pn seems excessive. At least one has the option.

Jan 29, 2020
Sawley Marina, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Lakia Kreos 5010
Exp
Try the Hull crossing. More expensive, but shorter journey and so much easier on returning to the uk. When we lived in greater Manchester and were travelling to Europe it was our crossing of choice. Didn’t need to leave home until the afternoon, leisurely drive to hull and on return home before lunch. We felt the holiday started as soon as boarding the ferry rather than a very long journey down south.
Been saying this for ages!! We use Hull-Rotterdam…from Benidorm to Calais is 17 1/2 hours Rotterdam is 18 1/2…no Paris , no London, No M25…what’s not to love, oh and it cost us £200 last November 2 adults, 2 dogs and a cabin…😁😁

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When we were in full time work being self employed and working Saturdays a motorhome was a great way of getting in holidays in the unusual times we had off we would probably have had to take different time off paying others to sit there not doing much if we booked packages or days when there were flights locally. For us a motorhome wasn't cheap but at least we could go when we liked given work constraints.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Camping (Pre-Booked):

Friday – Monday = £77.00
What do you expect as Paul says they have to hire expensive generators.
We rarely ever use EHU I don't see the point of it with a Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Yes, I work full time with limited holidays and the 2 week and 10 day trips across the water mean everything to us, I hate driving/touring in the U.K./rip off Britain.
Yes I can’t viably get to Spain so I always turn left in France (technically it’s right but you know what I mean) and head towards Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Roll on retirement when I only will have 90 days or so in the U.K.👍👍👍
Hence why I drive a LHD motorhome👍
At least you help the pitch vacancies in the UK 🤣🤣

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I love being abroad too. On the other hand, we had a fantastic 3 week break in Scotland last year, in August, no bookings, and there was only one night where we couldn't stay where we wanted. Never felt unwelcome either.
spent 4 weeks in Scotland 4 weeks in Ireland and this year spent 4 weeks in the Isle of Man
this has meant we loved the last 3-4 years in English speaking countries with the same culture
The French hate us for leaving the EU
And if some of the posters on here love Europe so much why not move out there
and save the ferry crossings

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
spent 4 weeks in Scotland 4 weeks in Ireland and this year spent 4 weeks in the Isle of Man
this has meant we loved the last 3-4 years in English speaking countries with the same culture
Why would loving another country mean you don't love this one? Some are broadminded enough to see the good and bad in both.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve never seen any evidence of that. They can’t understand why we did it, in common with many other EU countries.
That’s a completely different scenario. We spend 180 days away from the UK in the MH. Total ferry costs £800 which I recoup in total by purchases at The Calais Wine Warehouse!!🤣🤣🤣

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
We tend to forget that minimum wage in UK is £11.44 per hour, in Spain it's about £7.65, using €1.16 per £, as salary costs are a big proportion of companies spend, it must reflect in pitch costs, I don't think bit needs to be as high as C&mh club

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Got a super expensive quote for 7 nights in August 840+ euros. Bit excessive I think? Maybe you get a butler ::bigsmile:
Hi Peter is that for a pitch or a static/lodge been there and it's a really good site .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We tend to forget that minimum wage in UK is £11.44 per hour, in Spain it's about £7.65, using €1.16 per £, as salary costs are a big proportion of companies spend, it must reflect in pitch costs, I don't think bit needs to be as high as C&mh club
It's also land costs if it could be used for something more profitable it would be

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We do somewhere in Europe each year and while we used to love touring the UK we find it an absolute pain nowadays. We've never booked ahead as we like the spontaneity. You can't do this in the UK in any month where the wether is suitable. Exceptions we have found where touring without booking is possible: Scotland, Ireland and Wales, although our last tour of Wales was during covid so that may not count.
Living in the North East we prefer splashing out on a ferry from either Newcastle or Hull to avoid the long haul through the UK.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Good Afternoon all.
Having read some of the comments regarding the costs of enjoying our motor homing likes and dislikes in this, our country, I thought my particular gripe being electric hook-up should be aired.
I was interested in visiting the Norfolk Motor home and Campervan show on the outskirts of Norwich this month.
Correct if I am wrong, but please have a look at the week-end pricing for non electric, and with it. This is taken from their web-site quoted for FOUR nights.

Click HERE to enjoy our highlights video

Camping (Pre-Booked):

Friday – Monday = £77.00

Friday – Monday (EHU) = £137.00

Click HERE to reserve your pitch

Day Visitor:

SHOW OPENING TIMES
Friday 9:30am-5:00pm
Saturday 9:30am-5:00pm
Sunday 9:30am-4:30pm

Pre-booked: £7.00

Non-booked: £10.00
So, about £35 per night with ehu.
What were you thinking would be a reasonable price for such an event and ehu?

Jan 30, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2010
So here's a question what with the ever increasing price of crossing the channel. And France not being the cheapest place in terms food ect

also ferries to Spain costing a arm and a leg who just tours in the UK these days after all there's some wonderful places in n the UK to see

And for those who work with limited holidays is the continent really viable in a motorhome. Might as well get a cheap flight.

No wonder motorhome sales are stagnent
Aires in France are a fraction of the cost of uk campsites and CL's, I spent 6 weeks in France and spent £65 on sites a few years ago now but still much cheaper today. I do tour the UK though

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Absolute nonsense, the majority of french don't hate us at all, they view us with a sort of bemusement that we should have done something quite so bonkers, but actually, all those that I have spoken to over the years since the referendum have been incredibly measured and grown up about it, unlike much of our population , fired up by some of our more bigoted and unintelligent sectors of the media.
As for your suggestion re moving out to the EU, sadly that recourse is now very difficult for many who would love to do so, because of the restriction on freedom of movement which now apply to us as a third party nation and the subsequent loss of our rights to live, work or retire in 27 countries with very little trouble or bureaucracy .I take it that you already knew that but thanks nevertheless for your helpful suggestion..

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
And nobody’s mentioned the “Sun”.

It tooks us about 5hrs to drive to Newhaven and £209 for a return crossing but once you get off that ferry it’s a totally different experience. If we had to stay in the uk I would definitely stick with a caravan because a Motorhome is totally wasted there. We only get 2wks but the trip is 100% worth it.

We’re down in the South of France on a very expensive site (Le Brasilia) which is just a bit more expensive than a CMC site but with a massive swimming complex, shops, restaurants, bars, entertainment, plenty of shower blocks the list goes on. Not everyone’s cup of tea but works for us. Oh, forget to mention the golden sands and the Med about 75mtrs from our pitch.

We got new neighbours yesterday, a retired German couple in a newish N&B Motorhome. They were telling us they come back to the same pitch every year and stay for 8wks at a time. Honestly, I can understand why.
They have not been home since October.

I could go on and on but I’m going for a quick dip in the Med then a lounge by the pool “in the sun” 😉😉
Dieppe is fabulous there’s an aire on the seafront

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Aires in France are a fraction of the cost of uk campsites and CL's, I spent 6 weeks in France and spent £65 on sites a few years ago now but still much cheaper today. I do tour the UK though
Yeah I also use the Aires network some are better than others. Just been for 8 weeks so that's like 4 years worth of holidays to some. So the price of crossing doesn't seem so bad I suppose where people are in the country effects how much it costs them to get abroad and back in there van

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It was not the total price I was concerned about. Its the price of the EHU
Similar question what's reasonable if it costs a lot to provide should the pitch cost be higher so everyone subsidises those wanting ehu or should it be a floating amount with the cost shared between those wanting ehu or a high cost declared upfront like they have done?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Absolute nonsense, the majority of french don't hate us at all, they view us with a sort of bemusement that we should have done something quite so bonkers, but actually, all those that I have spoken to over the years since the referendum have been incredibly measured and grown up about it, unlike much of our population , fired up by some of our more bigoted and unintelligent sectors of the media.
As for your suggestion re moving out to the EU, sadly that recourse is now very difficult for many who would love to do so, because of the restriction on freedom of movement which now apply to us as a third party nation and the subsequent loss of our rights to live, work or retire in 27 countries with very little trouble or bureaucracy .I take it that you already knew that but thanks nevertheless for your helpful suggestion..
The Germans think we were when we were in Spain, I don't in fact I told them you can pay our share, 90 days is plenty for us, then I like to come home to decent real beer and decent restaurant food not a bit of meat with salad chucked on the plate

Jun 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
So here's a question what with the ever increasing price of crossing the channel. And France not being the cheapest place in terms food ect

also ferries to Spain costing a arm and a leg who just tours in the UK these days after all there's some wonderful places in n the UK to see

And for those who work with limited holidays is the continent really viable in a motorhome. Might as well get a cheap flight.

No wonder motorhome sales are stagnent
2021 took forced early retirement. Crossed the channel Newhaven to Deppe. Travelled the long way down through wonderful France (no paid motorways) and down through Spain into Portugal. Our aim was a three week holiday and visit

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
2021 took forced early retirement. Crossed the channel Newhaven to Deppe. Travelled the long way down through wonderful France (no paid motorways) and down through Spain into Portugal. Our aim was a three week holiday and visit
Don't keep us in suspenders. How long did it actually take?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back