UK to Portugal (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2021
Penrith, Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer t568sl
Thinking of going to Portugal either later this year or early next year. We have got a hymer euro 5 2014 lhd.
Live in Cumbria have not been to Europe for years. Been touring around the for the past 5 years or so. I think it might be about time we broadened my horizons.
What are the best possible routes and what problems might I encounter along the way emissions zones etc .
Last owner spent a lot of time abroad and there is a faded yellow french emission sticker in the windscreen . If we travel through France this will need replacing.
Other wise it could be Santander or the Bilbao crossing . Just wondering if any one has done it in an older van and if so a few pointers would be great fully appreciate.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Firstly you don’t have an older van…😉 the sicker will suffice unless you wanted to get a shiny new one as they are only a fiver£, do you have a sat-nav or google maps on your phone..? If I was going to Lisbon for example I put that in the nav from Calais and I don’t use toll roads so it takes time and time is plentiful for me and I see all the lovely places on the way instead of a boring motorway…

You have a LHD as well so it’ll be easy, driving France and Spain is a lot easier then uk as it’s not so busy..

Download searchforsites and park4night and you’ll have thousands of Aires and campsites at your fingertips practically within 5-10 miles of where you’ve stopped to look.

Take it easy and enjoy…🍻☀️😎

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly you don’t have an older van…😉 the sicker will suffice unless you wanted to get a shiny new one as they are only a fiver£, do you have a sat-nav or google maps on your phone..? If I was going to Lisbon for example I put that in the nav from Calais and I don’t use toll roads so it takes time and time is plentiful for me and I see all the lovely places on the way instead of a boring motorway…

You have a LHD as well so it’ll be easy, driving France and Spain is a lot easier then uk as it’s not so busy..

Download searchforsites and park4night and you’ll have thousands of Aires and campsites at your fingertips practically within 5-10 miles of where you’ve stopped to look.

Take it easy and enjoy…🍻☀️😎
I couldn't have put is better Just smiffy, although we must not Camping-Car Park for aires in France.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Drove to Porto last year from Scotland 2014 possl 2 win (Citroen relay lhd)
Drove toll roads all the way down.
No toll roads set on my Sat nav on the way back! In my opinion not worth paying the tolls 😐
No alterations needed on van stickers or otherwise👍😁😎

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Get a Michelin road atlas for France and Spain and just go for it!

If your budget an stretch to it consider the Plymouth or Portsmouth ferry to Santander. Otherwise, meander through France. We've done both and enjoyed both approaches. Last year we did Plymouth to Santander in our 2013 'van.

Don't worry about emission zones unless you plan to drive into the centre of a few major cities - which isn't something you would want to do anyway in a MH. :)

We have tags for the motorways in France and Spain which are very convenient. The French motorways are a joy to drive on but it isn't cheap, a trip across France might cost you close to £100. Spain is much cheaper.

I would suggest (if you are going to drive through France) joining the Camping-Car Parks organisation before you leave although you can join at any of their aires with the exception of a few sites which don't have a card machine. You don't have to use their sites but it's worth having this option if you need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Costing to Portugal ferries and non toll roads. Put Sagres as furthest point in Portugal

Sailing 3 November, 7.5 mtr van 24 mpg.

Santander to Sagres 700 miles

132 litres £232 ferry £682 £914

Roscoff to Sagres 1300 miles

246 litres £430 ferry £303 £733

Cherbourg to Sagres 1300

246 litres £430 ferry £222 £652

Calais to Sagres 1450

274 litres £480 ferry £107 £587

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Have a look at my travel threads links in my signature.
did not know you had taken that trip Lenny HB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We do Portsmouth to north Spain And wonder down to the Algarve And we go down in a 1990 elddis . And do it nearly every year . Do not worry lots of us there to help out. We are going early September untill late October .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back