UK canoe & kayaking YouTube recommendations (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Hi folks, are there any decent UK based YouTube channels for Kayaking? It’s one of our favourite hobbies but surprised by the lack of content for UK enthusiasts. Had a good old search, but thought I’d ask the Funsters!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi folks, are there any decent UK based YouTube channels for Kayaking? It’s one of our favourite hobbies but surprised by the lack of content for UK enthusiasts. Had a good old search, but thought I’d ask the Funsters!
Tonns of videos out there but what are you looking for?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not youtube, but there is a forum called song of the paddle.
It's a bit clunky, but does have some useful info.
Most of the youtube videos are I've seen are testesterone fueled white water rapids type videos.
I like a gentle paddle on a lake or calm sea if there's no danger of needing the coastguard.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Most of the youtube videos are I've seen are testesterone fueled white water rapids type videos.
I like a gentle paddle on a lake or calm sea if there's no danger of needing the coastguard.
Lochore Meadows in Fife 👍 There is a (pay for) Aire type facility there and you can hire equipment and take lessons.

Also lots of walks and cycle rides.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Lochore Meadows in Fife 👍 There is a (pay for) Aire type facility there and you can hire equipment and take lessons.

Also lots of walks and cycle rides.
Looks like there's motorhome parking on the lake too. Edit - sorry, loch
I'll bear it in mind, thanks

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

TheMachMan

Try the paddle points places to paddle website it gives a lot of information on rivers all over the country

Don’t forget you need a licence for many rivers and there is an increase in the number of harbour authorities now wanting to charge for the use of estuaries etc or places wanting launch fees

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We do refer to websites mentioned. But some are quite dated, but as per my post title was looking for some viewing content. Plenty on Campervans etc so was hoping there might be similar out there, but looks like that is not the case.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thanks, yes we‘re familiar with the licence requirements. Go Canoe YouTube channel is a good example of poor content.
Again it depends upon what you are seeking but the paddle points site is great for finding places to paddle and rather than watching videos Clubs etc can be a great way of getting out there doing rather than watching and who knows you may be able to create the great content you are seeking.

This is probably one of the best videos I have seen on why people paddle and what it means to them, it's not American but Canadian and has 5 short stories

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son and DIL are kayaking fanatics and arrived in New Zealand this week for a 3 month hol, taking their own inflatable kayak, paddles and buoyancy aids with them. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Try 'Simon, a bloke in the woods' on utube, loads of canoe trips to watch mainly around Norfolk and some abroad along with lots of other stuff like bushcraft etc, he has a beautiful canoe that he built himself...

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Maybe it’s an opportunity for some kayakers out there to start their own channel! If you’re thinking about it, or know someone who might, a straightforward way to get started is by recording outings. A great tool for capturing these adventures is https://www.movavi.com/screen-recorder/. It’s quite handy for recording from digital sources or even editing those recordings to highlight the best moments before sharing.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
There are loads of individual videos on YouTube dependant on your interests. Although I participate in a range of different kayaking activities like river, surf and sea - my passion is for sea kayaking. There are a number of great videos created by a group of kayakers who call themselves Neptune’s Rangers. The link below is to just one of them but lots more if you enjoy it. They are not instructional videos just a group of folk having a great time! Hope you enjoy!

A great resource for kayaking is a website called ukriversguidebook.co.uk. It has threads covering a multitude of topics!

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
This is me and my paddling mates back in the day:

Timely given the Olympics slalom was on over the past few days. The opening C1 is Martyn 'Bush' Hedges who was too young to compete at the 1972 Munich Olympics in the ice canal at Augsburg. He was selected for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, but was killed in a car crash just weeks before. Also Tony Legg the 'owner' of the nylon gag, again now no longer with us.

It was fantastic watching the daughter, Jess, of 5 time world slalom champion Richard Fox and his wife Myriam Jerusalmi both Olympic canoeists earlier this week in Paris winning the K1 & C1 slalom.

A fantastic sport that can take you anywhere. My paddling days culminated on the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon in 1997. This is me in Lava Falls rapids:

1722496924419.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was paddling around the same time as Bushy and Foxy, I was in C2 Hansell/Agar and paddles team at Serpents tail with Smith/Smith and Jamieson and Williams, so the big question "do I know you"?

Great footage by the way, love the C1's surfing ;)

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I was paddling around the same time as Bushy and Foxy, I was in C2 Hansell/Agar and paddles team at Serpents tail with Smith/Smith and Jamieson and Williams, so the big question "do I know you"?

Great footage by the way, love the C1's surfing ;)
I'm a bit before your time. I paddled WWR in the late 70's, I met Bush on the Usk WWR in '76, then slalom before Foxy came on the scene. Albert Kerr / Nicky Wain / Pete Nardelli (Porsche 911)/ Pete Keane (Firenza Droop Snoot) time in slalom. I was Bush's nemesis making him bridge jump in his C1, roll under the gates at Boulters and Marlow weirs and the mad stuff, cos he had to or he'd be a wuss!! Brilliant memories.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm a bit before your time. I paddled WWR in the late 70's, I met Bush on the Usk WWR in '76, then slalom before Foxy came on the scene. Albert Kerr / Nicky Wain / Pete Nardelli (Porsche 911)/ Pete Keane (Firenza Droop Snoot) time in slalom. I was Bush's nemesis making him bridge jump in his C1, roll under the gates at Boulters and Marlow weirs and the mad stuff, cos he had to or he'd be a wuss!! Brilliant memories.
I remember 3 names there, I never got into wacky racers but as a club we would do the Tees racecourse after the racing, sounds like you were a bit further South than us ;)

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I lived in the Marlow area, on the Thames. Chalfont Park CC based at Hambleden weir was my club, hence a lot of weir bashing; I was Chair at one point. CPCC ran the Usk WWR.

Rivers in spate as no restrictions for access when in spate. Would call the river gillies to check conditions the go.

Did lots of slaloms, selection events at Grandtully at Easter each year, Bala. Llangollen town for end of season International. Serpents tail. Early days at Holme pier point.

Did a lot of alpine rivers in Austria/Switzerland. I had one of the first plastic pigs (Dancer), then a playboat (Hurricane).

Will always remember after doing the Grade VI above the wood yard on the Inn, hitching back to get the car in just my smelly hellies and a van pulled up, passenger asked where I was going so I told them and had just done that section. They didn't believe me until the side door opened with 2 GB team C2 paddlers (Tony Ambridge / Carl Rouch) seeing me and telling everyone else that only 2 paddlers they knew would even attempt that section, me and my best mate Romeo.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Thanks, yes we‘re familiar with the licence requirements. Go Canoe YouTube channel is a good example of poor content.
BCU membership comes with waterways licences. It might be the cheaper option. also has 3rd party ins. I believe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back