DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One step forward then another pace or two back. We arrived at the garage this morning but they weren't expecting us. After a few phone calls we are now back at the campsite.

It seems the French organisation SAVE which the CMC use for breakdowns in France thought all we needed was a new battery, perhaps because the man driving the breakdown truck saw a battery symbol on the dashboard. Where they sent us this morning could have replaced the battery but they were not a repair garage who could tackle anything more complicated.

So now we are waiting for SAVE to find somewhere else.

All very annoying but things could be worse. :)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
One step forward then another pace or two back. We arrived at the garage this morning but they weren't expecting us. After a few phone calls we are now back at the campsite.

It seems the French organisation SAVE which the CMC use for breakdowns in France thought all we needed was a new battery, perhaps because the man driving the breakdown truck saw a battery symbol on the dashboard. Where they sent us this morning could have replaced the battery but they were not a repair garage who could tackle anything more complicated.

How annoying 😑

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years

I find these things more annoying the shorter your planned trip. Back my working days, even a minor interruption to a 2 week holiday (my only long one of the year) was a big deal. With a couple of months away, we were able to put up with a few days' worth of repairs with equanimity.

Fingers crossed for a speedy fix.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It looks like we are going to be on this site for some time. The CMC have told me their French "partners" SAVE Assistance can't find anywhere which can take us in a reasonable time frame. However, a French speaker at CMC has found a Fiat Professional garage which will take us but we won't find out until tomorrow afternoon when this might be as the garage has asked to be rung back then for the answer.

Meanwhile, I've discovered the fault is a failed alternator drive belt. There is a cover across the bottom of the engine compartment and I've managed to photograph it lying down there.
PXL_20240917_120234634.RAW-01.COVER~2.jpg

All my fault of course as I don't think this belt has been changed when it should have been. I use a local garage for servicing but I don't remember this ever being done. With 65,000 miles done I suspect it should been changed.

I didn't think it was the belt as everything else is working fine but I discovered there are two belts, one drives the A/C, steering pump and I think the water pump. The other belt only drives the alternator. The problem is neither belt has been changed so the other one is also probably on its last legs.

I have looked at doing the job myself but the problem is the lack of space underneath. It might be possible with ramps or parking it on a high curb but given the other belt, which is trickier to change, is also likely to fail my preferred route is to get someone to replace both and the tensioner at the same time. Only the alternator belt has a tensioner, the other one is stretched into place.

I'll know better this time tomorrow how long the wait is going to be which may influence me to look again at the DIY option.

Alternatively, we'll rent a car for a week or so and do day trips from here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It looks like we are going to be on this site for some time. The CMC have told me their French "partners" SAVE Assistance can't find anywhere which can take us in a reasonable time frame. However, a French speaker at CMC has found a Fiat Professional garage which will take us but we won't find out until tomorrow afternoon when this might be as the garage has asked to be rung back then for the answer.

Meanwhile, I've discovered the fault is a failed alternator drive belt. There is a cover across the bottom of the engine compartment and I've managed to photograph it lying down there. View attachment 951228

All my fault of course as I don't think this belt has been changed when it should have been. I use a local garage for servicing but I don't remember this ever being done. With 65,000 miles done I suspect it should been changed.

I didn't think it was the belt as everything else is working fine but I discovered there are two belts, one drives the A/C, steering pump and I think the water pump. The other belt only drives the alternator. The problem is neither belt has been changed so the other one is also probably on its last legs.

I have looked at doing the job myself but the problem is the lack of space underneath. It might be possible with ramps or parking it on a high curb but given the other belt, which is trickier to change, is also likely to fail my preferred route is to get someone to replace both and the tensioner at the same time. Only the alternator belt has a tensioner, the other one is stretched into place.

I'll know better this time tomorrow how long the wait is going to be which may influence me to look again at the DIY option.

Alternatively, we'll rent a car for a week or so and do day trips from here.
Is there the equivalent of a Halford or even tyre and exhaust places should be able to do this simple job?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is there the equivalent of a Halford or even tyre and exhaust places should be able to do this simple job?
I haven't looked at that yet, I did think a mobile mechanic could do it using ramps. I'll put off any more thinking until we have a confirmed date. There's a lot to see in Toulouse including the aerospace museum and by hiring a car we should get to see Carcassonne which was the reason we were in this part of France. There's a hire car place close by which has Fiat 500s for €49 a day which sounds a fun option. It's the hanging around which is the pain, if we can get out exploring things will be much better.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
No chance of rigging up a Heath-Robinson hamster wheel type contraption so Charlie can get the alternator spinning? :unsure:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Fitting the alternator belt will be simple, the A/C drive belt is a pain, being a stretch belt, but doable, and possibly you could just leave it off if not hot over there. If you are changing Alt belt, then don’t reuse the A/C stretch belt, replace that too. Normally you would have new belts when cambelt is done.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fitting the alternator belt will be simple, the A/C drive belt is a pain, being a stretch belt, but doable, and possibly you could just leave it off if not hot over there. If you are changing Alt belt, then don’t reuse the A/C stretch belt, replace that too. Normally you would have new belts when cambelt is done.
Do you know if the stretchy belt also runs the water pump? I understand it runs the A/C and steering pump which I could probably get away without - but obviously not the water pump. It's a 3.0 from 2013.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is an easy job but finding a garage is the problem. At least we are not an A Class which I suspect would make it an engine out job.
All our belts were done at the 4 years service, no drama ;) we are North South engine if that makes a difference though.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to learn of the cock-up with the garage and work needing to be done. Hope it all resolves soon and at minimum cost. Impressed with your attitude of turning a problem into an opportunity to sight see in Toulouse. Not sure I’d be as sanguine but at the end of the day, what else can you do? Getting angry and/or frustrated isn’t constructive and alters nothing.
Fingers’ crossed all is well.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Many thanks, the 3.0 has a chain cam so I suspect the stretchy belt must do the water pump on this engine.
Looking into this it looks like your water pump is driven on the alternator belt. The stretch belt is only A/C (like the 2.3) possibly due to it being an optional extra, not a basic requirement. But to change the alternator belt possibly involves supporting your engine and removing the engine mount to get access.

IMG_0761.jpeg

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I haven't looked at that yet, I did think a mobile mechanic could do it using ramps. I'll put off any more thinking until we have a confirmed date. There's a lot to see in Toulouse including the aerospace museum and by hiring a car we should get to see Carcassonne which was the reason we were in this part of France. There's a hire car place close by which has Fiat 500s for €49 a day which sounds a fun option. It's the hanging around which is the pain, if we can get out exploring things will be much better.
Toulouse is great city to walk around & explore for a couple of days. Some very interesting churches, my favourite being La Daurade with a black Madonna, St Sernin, les Jacobins…. Lots of galleries and nice cafes in the various squares & also by the Garonne. Gardens and parks also…
Carcasonne is very pleasant too for a couple of days.. Good luck!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As Landy Andy shows aircon belt is only for the ac the other belt is fairly easy to do as long as it’s on a ramp and lift..😎

But it shouldn’t be too many €’s …. A lot less then a new alternator and I’d try to get them to do the ac belt too while there at it…👍🏼

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking into this it looks like your water pump is driven on the alternator belt. The stretch belt is only A/C (like the 2.3) possibly due to it being an optional extra, not a basic requirement. But to change the alternator belt possibly involves supporting your engine and removing the engine mount to get access.

View attachment 951335

That's curious as the temp gauge has been steady while driving. I would have expected it to overheat quickly if the water pump wasn't working.
Post #8 on this thread shows a diagram for the 3.0l but it still doesn't show the water pump unless it is the item marked G but I think it's just an idler.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t think it’s a big job, Dave Newell changed our auxiliary belts when he did the cam belt on ours earlier in the year. I think it only took him about 4 hours for the lot, just a drive belt shouldn’t be that long.

He even gave me the old belts and advised to keep them in the van. Should I ever lose one, he said the AA could just lob the old one on to get me going. It can’t be that difficult if they can do it at the roadside.

The above was for a 2.3l A class.

Good luck and hope it’s sorted quickly. My experience over there when I have had issues is that they understand it’s a motorhome and you need it sort g quickly.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That's curious as the temp gauge has been steady while driving. I would have expected it to overheat quickly if the water pump wasn't working.
Post #8 on this thread shows a diagram for the 3.0l but it still doesn't show the water pump unless it is the item marked G but I think it's just an idler.
I once threw a water pump and alternator belt on a van at work. It overheated in about 2 minutes so I suspect you are right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back