Tv cuts out in my recently purchased Bentley. Im using a firestick with ehu. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Im not sure what's wrong but the question id ask your forum is:

With the motorhome plugged into a domestic 240v supply I'm having electrical issues causing my 12v TV to turn off. The motorhome monitoring system says the leisure battery charging symbol is on but it's voltage has dropped to only 10v and doesn't seem to be accepting any charging current. The low voltage is clearly the reason the TV is playing up vut what is the root cause. My gut feel is that this is because of a dead leisure battery. Are there any other explanations or ways to identify the issue conclusively?

If the battery is dead should this have been picked up on a habitation test?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sound like it's the battery, check it's not getting hot when on charge if it is turn the charger off immediately, faulty batteries can give hydrogen sulphide which is poisonous & highly explosive.
If you get a rotten egg smell or the CO alarm goes off disconnect the battery and remove from the van ASAP.

If they did test the battery on a hab check it would be a CCA test which is really a starter battery test and doesn't mean a lot on a hab battery, to do a proper hab battery test takes a long time.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
If you unplug your 12v tv, but leave the 240v ehu connected and your charger on, does the leisure battery charging indicator still show 10v?
If so, I would suggest that your leisure battery is either incapable of accepting a higher charge as it may have been allowed to get to a very low uncharged state and is incapable of ' recovering ' and getting to a usable voltage level due to possible unrecoverable damage.......
OR
Your charger may not be performing correctly and incapable of delivering a sufficient charge capacity.
I speak of this only with some limited knowledge of Lead Acid Batteries and not from any more advanced type such as AGM, Gel or Lithium batteries.
Also, as an aside, do you run your fridge on pure 240v or is it a 12v compressor fridge and running at the same time as your TV?
It maybe possible that again your 12v usage with 12vTV and 12v compressor fridge is outstripping the batteries capacity to do both even though you are hooked upto 240v as your charger is not able to keep up with demand of power needed from the 240v supply to go through to the charger to provide a 12v supply.
Just my thoughts to help, but I am no expert.
I take it your 12v lights and water pump are still working?
As to the Habitation check I have no idea whether the Leisure battery and it's functionality is covered.... but leisure batteries don't last forever and can quickly go from good to bad if not maintained or used correctly.
Think your problem though is easily sorted and not a major issue, but might mean a new leisure battery at worst.
Hope this helps, but had another thought...... is your firestick running on 240v plug in and the TV on 12v?
There might also be a conflicting issue.
Try running the TV and Firestick on 240v directly together at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My thought is the charger would provide enough power to run everything even with a duff battery

I don’t think it is charging , either charger not working or set to charge starter battery not habitation battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
just-looking
I had a habitation service a few months back and he discovered one of the lead acid leisure batteries was empty of distilled water and at some point had overheated as the casing was distorted. He disconnected and removed said battery. According to the paperwork the motorhome had a habitation service every year so i do wonder how long that battery had been faulty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back