Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
A quick question.
I am intending to fit a bracket onto wall of wardrobe in the PVC for our Avtex 24” tv.
What screws or nuts and bolts are recommended?
Reason for asking is that I hope to leave TV on bracket permanently and don’t want it to fall.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
ok!
It’s a sandwich.

Bolt head, bracket, wall, penny washer, dome nut!

You won’t see the bracket, it’s behind the tv but the bolts in the wardrobe don’t want to be sharp.

Tony

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Can you fashion a plate, that doubles up as a wall hook? I did this for ours, that was on a bathroom/lounge area wall, so another wall hook was handy in the bathroom.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Assuming it's a wood finish inside the wardrobe your best (most pleasing finish) would be snap off screws, eg https://www.toolstation.com/phillips-snap-off-screw/p82301 which will tone in with the wood finish with a large head to spread the weight.

On the other side and through the wall and countersunk holes on the bracket use countersunk barrel nuts of appropriate diameter and length. The smooth outside finish on these don't "cut into" the timber.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As it will be a hollow wall you really need a spreader plate on the inside of the wardrobe otherwise you could end up squishing the panels. A piece of ply against the inside wall would do the trick with washers before the nuts.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Be aware that TV fittings are not standard.

We had a (heavy) 27" branded Hymer TV in our van.
It was fine, except when using a DVD everything was green, which didn't matter as long as the only film you watched was Shrek.

I replaced the TV with the modern identical branded Avtex TV.
Although it was 4 years newer, the model number was almost the same, it had all the same features etc.
I was assured it was the new replacement model for the old one.

It took me over a day to install it!

The new TV, although also a 27" screen, was wider and shorter than the original.
It also weighed half the amount.
The cable positions were different.
But biggest of all was the location of the rear plate screws, not even similar, so I had to dismantle the arm, line up the new holes and then drill them.
Then reassemble, when you have to try to fit screws blind in a 2" gap.

To be honest, had I known how difficult it was and how long it would take, I would have paid a professional installer to do it.
But then I would have questioned why they charged me about £300 to install a TV!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Not sure if my fitting is like yours but...

My bracket is attached to the bottom of a locker, so I didn't want the weight of the TV pulling the bottom of the locker out and wanted to be safety proof when I was reaching into it looking for something I'd kept bbecause it would be useful one day!

So cut a square of chipboard 4cms wider and deeper than the TV Bracket. Loosely glued into place within the locker.

Drilled holes for the bracket up through the locker bottom, through the bottom of the locker and my square of strengthening material.

Mounted the fitting bolts in reverse to that suggested, the head of the bolt in the locker and fitted some plastic protection caps;

plastic-cap-for-bolts-minimum-order-amount-10.jpg

To protect anything in the locker or to protect my fingers when 'blindly' searching in the locker.

Before that, now that I knew the precise length of bolt needed, I replaced the supplied bolts with standard M6 bolts of the correct length, junked the supplied locking washer and plain nut and replace with nylock nuts.

As these slightly larger and more unsightly items still took the plastic covers I fitted some more of them, but as they are pretty well hidded behinf the TV and bracket they're not really required.

A good few thousand miles on the road, nothing has moved.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have just fitted a new wall bracket and fitted a 27" Samsung smart monitor, the partion that it's screwed too has a solid wood core where the bracket fits so I used one of the existing screw holes and drilled a new one for the new bracket as it didn't line up with the old one and used 45mm wood screws, the tv only weighs about 5kgs and it hasn't moved at all, and i've driven over some rough roads since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OttovanKamper
Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Thanks for the good tips.
I had thought of using bits of steel pipe slightly larger diameter than the bolts to go into the wardrobe panel to reduce vibration when traveling.
I will put a board inside the wardrobe to spread the load.
Now to go search for plastic caps for bolts.

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Ours is on a slide on bracket so we put the tv in the bed when ravelling
The wall is very thin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun