Truma combi 4 issue (2 Viewers)

Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
Hi there,

The boiler on my 2009 motorhome has stopped working.

It's a Truma combi 4 - gas only.

No LED's come on the control panel when turning the dial for hot water or heating, no red,orange or green.. just nothing.

I've tested with multimeter and the boiler is getting 12v power fine.

Whilst dark I've looked for any LED sequence from the PCB main board on the boiler indicating any problems it might have but there arn't any flashing led's on it all, completly dead doesnt even attempt to fire up.

I have a new Truma data cable on route to rule out any breakages in the cable between the control panel and boiler, Is there any way to test the actual control panel? to rule it out, mine looks like this:

truma-control-panel-cp-classic.jpg

If it turns out there is no issue with the data cable, would I be right to assume the main boiler PCB is dead and consider sending to arelectronics.co.uk for a test?

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
Forgot to add, I've checked the fuse on the main PCB and the fuse for the boiler in the moho electrics and they both fine, have continuity.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not seen the back of those rotary controls, but it's possible it's dirty switch contacts. Give them a good squirt with contact cleaner (Not WD40 or the like) switch it back and forth through all positions a few times with no power, then retry. You can get proper contact cleaner from Toolstation or Screwfix.

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
Not seen the back of those rotary controls, but it's possible it's dirty switch contacts. Give them a good squirt with contact cleaner (Not WD40 or the like) switch it back and forth through all positions a few times with no power, then retry. You can get proper contact cleaner from Toolstation or Screwfix.
Thanks for the help

I gave it a go, unfortunately it didn't work.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm having boiler issues at the moment but it has been diagnosed as a the combustion fan and control board assembly failing - it's a Truma C and 17 years old. It's still working but I've been warned not for much longer. The bad news is that parts are no longer available for many of the older Truma units and are unrepairable. We looked at replacing with a Combi 4 but they're no longer available, neither are the parts, so I've bitten the bullet and my servicing outfit are going to fit a new Combi 6 when they can get the MH into the workshop - they're currently overrun with vans coming out of storage with "problems"!

(Just a note - you should update your Profile as you are shown still as "looking" for a van.)

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
Is there a 12v supply getting to the rotary control , through the data cable , from the Combi ?

There is 6 pins, I assume 2 for power the rest are data? any idea's which pins are power?

Thanks

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
I'm having boiler issues at the moment but it has been diagnosed as a the combustion fan and control board assembly failing - it's a Truma C and 17 years old. It's still working but I've been warned not for much longer. The bad news is that parts are no longer available for many of the older Truma units and are unrepairable. We looked at replacing with a Combi 4 but they're no longer available, neither are the parts, so I've bitten the bullet and my servicing outfit are going to fit a new Combi 6 when they can get the MH into the workshop - they're currently overrun with vans coming out of storage with "problems"!

(Just a note - you should update your Profile as you are shown still as "looking" for a van.)

Thanks for the info, yeah I've called a few workshops for various work and they're all booking for july-aug now, super busy it seems.

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
The short 20cm Truma data cable showed up and it worked! It turns out there must be a break in the data cable between the control panel and the boiler.
I've ordered a new 8 meter lead, just have to route it.. Should be fun lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Sorry I do not have that information , but , Truma technical support 01283 587960 or A + R Electronics 01543 579302 may be able help .
+1 for A+R electronics. Lovely guy and knows exactly what he is doing.
If you take it to him you can watch him repair it with a running commentary.
Based in Cannock

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back