Troubleshooting electrical issue - Windscreen Wipers - 2022 Fiat Carthago (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I hadn’t driven the van for about eight weeks until yesterday whereupon I noticed my wipers weren’t working.

The van is under warranty so I will book it in somewhere to get it looked at but ….

I have obsessive need to know how stuff works so my preferred option would be to find and fix the problem myself.

So far I have checked the dashboard fuse number 43. This is fine, if I pull it the washers stop working so I know it fuse is OK.

I have downloaded an electrical circuits diagram for the Ducato which explains and locates all the of wiring connectors, along with the various fuseboxes and electronic modules.

Looking at the under-bonnet fuseboard the wiper 30Amp fuse is no. T20 along with a relay No. T19.

If I pull the electrical connector at the wiper motor and check the voyage across the pins I am getting readings around 9V. ignition off - 0 Volts. So something is getting there.

I have manually moved the wiper arms in case the motor had seized but all seems free enough. Obvs I gave the motor a light tap with hammer in an oldschool mechanic approach.

I will try the under-bonnet wiper fuse T20 next but my question is … if the relay, no. T19, has failed are they a specific Fiat part or a generic relay?

The relay is listed a 30Amp Micro on the electric diagram.

If they are a generic part should I be carrying a spare relay in my general toolkit?

IMG_2969.JPG

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Pretty sure there isn't a box of bits on this one - the wiring from the motor follows back to the various Ducato control modules. The motor has a Fiat part number on it also.

The windscreen on the 138 A Class is as big as a full fat Carthago A Class so I think the Fiat motor shoudl be fine for it.

I'll have another look at it toorrow....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Well ....

Turns out the heater fans were not working as well. Very strange!

But I have fixed it.

The 5amp fuse in position F31 had blown. This fuse is listed as 5A Interior light relay.

I had piggy backed off this fuse to run my dashcam when it's in parking mode and it has been working fine for the last 6 months or so.

Swapped the fuse and both the heater fans and the wipers fired up again perfectly.

I can't work out why fuse F31 would effect the wipers and heater though.

So in short - a 1 minute fix but ... I spent hours trying to figure it out. However I have learnt a lot about the electrical system and where the key components are located and how they mesh together.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have downloaded an electrical circuits diagram for the Ducato which explains and locates all the of wiring connectors, along with the various fuseboxes and electronic modules.
Where did you get the info? was it
or somewhere else. If so where or what?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Maybe as well you didn’t get as far as a workshop, it sounds like they could easily have blamed it on you, odd as it seems 🤔

Nice to sort it quickly though 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Bugxxx was hoping it was a new source. When i got these not quite what i needed but glad someones got the use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back