Trip to Isle of Wight, done. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello all.
Our trip to IOW.
Don't want to waffle on but some preamble, sometimes truncated.
MWB 2016 Ducato campervan, self build, 300w solar through Victron mppt into 170A AGM batts.
Upgraded coil springs, double leaf springs but "oversprung" so reduced to 1 leaf each side; then added semi-air.
KYB gas shocks all round.
Ride is now good for a van and ride height up by 80mm.
Autoterm diesel heater and Webasto diesel hob.
Inlander Montpelier 12v fridge/freezer, with lockable chrome basis fitted by me.
75l on-board fresh water tank, 90l underslung grey tank.
Fixed bed at back.
Shower cubicle with cassette toilet, the one with ceramic inlay.
Drop down washbasin but no hot water yet, boil the kettle.
CCC members so we use their showers and some cs sites also have showers.....we also have oversize body wipes and spritz them with ttree bodywash where necessary, and we help each other; good fun.
From last year, love camping.
Both seventy +, only me driving: gone are the days when I can drive 800 miles in one day.
If 100+ m to drive, then rest stop needed; never in a hurry.
So, members NT and EH this year.
Will be taking photos/vids with my phone but I don't have mfun on it.
I have to send it from my gmail account to my bt e-mail on my Fire 8 tablet which has got mfun on it. Yes I can have it in my phone but don't want to.
Will be doing the post on a daily basis as though on the actual trip, and sometimes as in this first post will split it up into 2 instalments; it's already getting a bit long.

Now to the trip:-
Left out hometown Sunderland at 0630, pit stop is Bolsover castle; already checked in Google maps for car park.
Main one has just 25 spaces but "additional" parking has 60, and is only 60 yards past the main one.
Reckoned that would be best bet.
Headed down the A19 a good one, joined A1M just past Thirsk.
BUT, we took over an hour to do 4 miles past Darrington on the A1M a few weeks ago when heading to Norfolk. We got stung same way last year for bridge repairs in same area. Thought it would be finished by now, how wrong can you be; now it's major roadworks!
SO, joined M62 headed West but left after 2 miles at Pontifract.
Went past racecourse then at roundabout headed down A639 then the A628 to Akworth then A638 and rejoined A1M well south of the congestion. Staying in the A639 all the way is shorter but joins too near the congestion for comfort.
Smugly thought I'd pulled a fast one but not long after the road works for extra emergency pull ins started. 20 miles worth of cones, more than you can shake a stick at !!!
How come you see hardly any workers and they even have signs saying "We also work nights"
Perhaps they also work hard at being invisible?
Next joined M18 then M1 just past Doncaster.
Left at Junction 29A, just 3 miles to Holdover castle.
The spell corrector does my head in, is there any way to switch it off, will it be settings in my Fire 8 or settings in m/home fun?
Arrived at 0940, main car park looked full so drive round to additional one. Gates locked but EH guy came and unlocked after couple minutes. Got parked up next to castle walls and walked the short distance to the castle entrance.
Very few EH volunteers in the castle itself but plenty info boards, we were happy to wander around. Castle is mostly intact but most rooms have very little furniture etc.
Had an enjoyable 90 minutes there, did it's job gave our legs a stretch. Didn't take many photos, did take one vid which showed the castle ramparts but the background noise was attrocious. Deleted it thinking it was no good. This is my first smartphone, I am a latecomer. Didn't find out until we got home by playing around how to mute sound before it or even after a vid is done. Yes it's simple, kicking myself now as the vid was good and even had a glimpse of my van in the distance over the top of the walls.
Photo's and vids more numerous later on.
Left about 1130, destination campsite for first day Little Stryne cs at Borrowash; Derby; just 30 miles further.
Rejoined M1, no congestion then left at J25 into A52 West and just a few miles to Borrowash.
Post now long enough, arrival and the rest of our day in next instalment.
Happy Jack.

IMG_20240625_110539876_HDR.jpgIMG_20240625_112717068.jpgIMG_20240625_105716504_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240625_113446856_HDR.jpgIMG_20240625_103946869_HDR.jpg IMG_20240625_110445111-2.jpg

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Arrived at Little Stryne cs Borrowash Derby approx 1230, total 174 miles, day 1.
Site is all grass, reasonably level, surrounded by river and stream on 3 sides.
Closes early each year in October, it floods!!!
Fresh water, cdp, grey water disposal all available.
Toilets useable but dated, no showers.
Gates locked but Brenda who runs it gives out the combo.
She is a gem. And the cost, £10 A night.
We dont need hook up, the site does have it; don't know price.
15 minute walk gets you to Alveston park and country house.
Parkland and formal garden worth a walk round but house only has tearooms on ground floor. No entry to rest of house.
We didnt visit it this time. Lovely hot day so chilled out sitting in the sunshine, had a few beers.
IMG_20240712_084556221_HDR.jpgIMG_20230604_113506996.jpgIMG_20240712_092649496_HDR.jpg. Sat out until late, we don't have TV yet but have Netflix and BBC I player stuff downloaded onto the chromebook, also our tp link portable router works well.
Wifi reception good here.
Altogether a stress free first day, chilled out nicely at the site.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Day 2.
Left before 9. Only 76 miles to Waveley ccc club site but we can't turn up before 1300, so Boscabel house EH is our next port of call, 51mikes.
Straightforward route down the A38, sat nav avoids rolls but this meant a minor hatchback into non toll section of M6 then back off into A5 then back on again.
A good 3 hours at the house. EH volunteers were really good and lots of good info, King Charles second hid there from the roundheads (Still just a Prince at the time).
Also had a walk down to white ladies priory, a ruin now but worth the walk in the lovely sunshine.IMG_20240626_122242554.jpgIMG_20240626_110124088_HDR.jpgIMG_20240626_102021963_HDR.jpg Left at 1300 I think, just 25 miles to Waveley.
3 days booked, details on next episode.
Happy Jack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Arrived at Waverley ccc club site at 2, total miles day 2; 261.
Booked for 3 days, members + age conversion + grass uk 40 discount got it for £35.80. Minor downside is that it must be booked minimum 14 days in advance, for a minimum of 3 days and only for non EHU grass pitches. Not all sites have them and a grass pitch with a EHU cannot be used as grass only.
Wardens very friendly, we were shown to our pitch and got set up nice and quickly.
Quick cuppa then had a 2 hour walk along the canal towpath.
chilled out sitting outside, lovely sunny day again.
next day we were going to pop over to Black Country Living Museum, visited twice last year and our passes still valid.
But, had enough of outside museums for now, anyway our local one Beamish museum is better; and we've been their 3 times this year.
So, we visited Wightwick manor, first house to be gifted to NT back in 1937....glad we did. Really good half day out, volunteers usual high standard and made our visit interesting.IMG_20240628_112601233_HDR.jpgIMG_20240628_115652952_HDR.jpgIMG_20240628_113414912_HDR.jpgIMG_20240628_121330840_HDR.jpg
Same day also visited Kniver rock houses, well worth an hour or 2.
IMG_20240628_145412875_HDR.jpgIMG_20240628_145110677_HDR.jpgIMG_20240628_150048674_HDR.jpg
Distance from site to both places and back to site 34 miles.
3rd day just enjoyed the still good weather at the site.
Long journey to Southampton area next day.
Happy Jack.

IMG_20240628_115955059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240628_145412875_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Struggling a bit with inserting photos, sometimes a bit disjointed, will spend a bit time looking at it, and would like to insert captions. Anyone know how?
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Left Wolveley by 0800, thinking it was 89 miles to our intermediate destination of Avebury stone circle and manor house EH then another 50 miles to the Southampton area cs we were staying at for the night before boarding the ferry. How wrong can you be!!!!!
Headed down the M5 then supposed to go on the A417 past Cirencester but road closed both directions for major work.
Detour took us East along the A40 to northeast then down the A429 and eventually on to Avebury.
After our visit the route was supposed to be down the A346 then continue South on the A338 to head past Salisbury but that one was closed for major works!!!!
Detour took us East past Stonehenge before heading South again to head past Salisbury.
What made it worse was the congestion past Stonehenge.
Drivers seemed to think it was good to go slow so that they could get a good look at it !!!!!
Total milage but the time we got to Southampton was 480 when it should have been 435!
Anyway, Avebury was worth the visit, another sunny day and we enjoyed walking about Avebury house gardens and the general area. Just a couple of photos.Didnt think stone's were worth it, although it is the biggest free standing circle in the world a lot of them have gone missing over the years.
IMG_20240629_114350551_HDR.jpgIMG_20240629_114530078_HDR.jpg
Our stop for the night was Marchwood Tanglewood cs, just 13 miles to Lymington ferry terminal the next day.
In the end we got there a little late so unfortunately didnt take any photos, was a little stressed out.
Our pitch was on a lovely flat field although there are 6 hardstanding pitches with EHU. Fresh water, cdp, showers, toilets, lovely quiet site. All you need. But, £25 A night.
Picked for short drive to ferry and we had a 9 am crossing.
Couple pubs nearby but the lane from the site has no footpath and the 15 minute walk would be a little scary.
Just stayed on site. Sunny yet again.
Next instalment ferry and IOW.
Total miles 480.
Happy Jack.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
There isn't really an option for photo captions.

I know Jane and Roger put them on their latest trip, but I think that is just by adjusting the font under the photo.

Anyway, love reading about your trip, keep going!

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking

I know Jane and Roger put them on their latest trip, but I think that is just by adjusting the font under the photo.

Thanks, a ill get on asap. But, have got Bells Palsy.
Left face frozen, eye not blinking and site because of it. Got a patch on now.
phoned docs, they said might be stroke even though I said I'd had same 20 years ago, go to A&E.
Got there, told reception and the "Navigation" nurse sitting next to get took one look and said Bells. But will check you anyway. Saw assessment nurse, blood pressure etc, Belks; but go to urgent care across the c orridor. Saw doc there, she did more checks, Bel ls; here's script for

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks, a ill get on asap. But, have got Bells Palsy.
Left face frozen, eye not blinking and site because of it. Got a patch on now.
phoned docs, they said might be stroke even though I said I'd had same 20 years ago, go to A&E.
Got there, told reception and the "Navigation" nurse sitting next to get took one look and said Bells. But will check you anyway. Saw assessment nurse, blood pressure etc, Belks; but go to urgent care across the c orridor. Saw doc there, she did more checks, Bel ls; here's script for
Sirry, posted before finished. Script for steroids.
Now starting to improve but hand/eye coordination poor, that's
How I accidentally posted too soon.
And, getting fed up with autospell corrector, which seems to change words willy nilly.
Hapoy jack.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
motorhoming 1979 ---- 2024
Hi Happy Jack , the Island is my birth place & lived there 73 years , ( moved to cornwall 5 years ago) beautiful island , hope you enjoy it , if I can be of help with anything just P.M. me . Terry

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi Happy Jack , the Island is my birth place & lived there 73 years , ( moved to cornwall 5 years ago) beautiful island , hope you enjoy it , if I can be of help with anything just P.M. me . Terry
Hi Fidgit
Have been and now back home. Just didnt have time to do a live blog. Must admit it would have been better.
Did enjoy 10 days on the island and got around by bus.
More when I get to that part of the blog.
Happy Jack.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Struggling a bit with inserting photos, sometimes a bit disjointed, will spend a bit time looking at it, and would like to insert captions. Anyone know how?
Happy Jack.
Just insert the photos full sized, not as thumbnails and add your "caption" either above it or underneath. I think it is better above as readers will be scrolling down the page so they see the caption before the image.

Click on the "Attach files" button.

Screenshot_20240720-112646~2.jpg

After finding your photo (or photos as you can upload more than one at a time) a thumbnail will appear, click on "Insert".

Screenshot_20240720-112522~2.jpg

Then click on "Full image" and it will be inserted full size.

Screenshot_20240720-112532~2.jpg

Full sized images work better for me, I tend not to look at images inserted as thumbnails if I'm feeling too lazy to click on them. :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip.
Nice One Thumbs Up GIF by MIA GLADSTONE

I even manage to read it all before i ate my supper.
parents place GIF

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Just insert the photos full sized, not as thumbnails and add your "caption" either above it or underneath. I think it is better above as readers will be scrolling down the page so they see the caption before the image.

Click on the "Attach files" button.

View attachment 925544

After finding your photo (or photos as you can upload more than one at a time) a thumbnail will appear, click on "Insert".

View attachment 925545

Then click on "Full image" and it will be inserted full size.

View attachment 925546

Full sized images work better for me, I tend not to look at images inserted as thumbnails if I'm feeling too lazy to click on them. :)
Thanks DBK, will try that.
Happy Jack.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Up bright and early Sunday 30th June to catch ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth. That route suited us as we were originally going to stay at Heathfield farm campsite at Freshwater. But at approx £28 A night we thought better of it. We have mostly our own facilities so simple can work.
Got to Lymington at 0810 for our 0900 ferry but they bumped us into to one just about to leave(think it was 0800? but late).
Might have been able to stay at Devizes ccc club site for 3 nights (can't leave club sites until 0700) and got a later although more costly ferry, may have ended up slightly more pricy but would have had 3 nights at Devizes instead of 1 night in Marchwood.
Went up to lounge, was wet up on top deck had been raining.
Bought a tub of Tom & Jerries, believe it or not first time ever....and last; not so much the outrageous cost which didnt realise until came to payment but to us simply bland.
Was a quick smooth crossing, and on arrival roads were quiet with it being Sunday.
Our chosen campsite? Dairymans Daughter Cottage a bit South East of Newport. It's next to the main road from Newport to Sandown at Hale common right next to Leslies Suzuki car dealer.
Arrived at about 0945, turned off road and stopped just inside entrance where the owners cottage was. The name sounds pleasant enough but the outlook initially looked different. The field was half full of new Suzuki cars (guess he rents space out)and an old Ambulance well overgrown by vegetation and 2 static caravans in need of TLC but could be nice.
Owner had spotted us , came out to greet us. Very friendly and he told us where the CDP, toilet and freshwater was. Also directed us to the inner field which allayed our worries.
Big mostly level field with plenty of EHU although if course we don't need it. Surrounded on all sides apart from the drive in gap and a gap into another even larger field which he told us is used for local DA rallies. Didnt ask what the DA stands for
It was an altogether more pleasant outlook.
Quickly got set up, wound out the canopy, set up the windbreaker and got out the chairs.
Was sunny by now, still early but simply had a nice relaxing day.
Oh and until later in the day we were the only campers there!
Cost, £70 for 10 days.
Did 2 vids of the site but no still photos. Regret that now.
Sent the vids from my phone to my Fire tablet but although the e mail seems to have arrived the vid doesn't seem to be attached?
Will have to set up M/home fun on my phone, might be able to include vids?
Later on, 2 Motorhomes arrived together and set up.
Didnt take them long to take 2 big bags of rubbish down to the bins !!!!! They only stayed 2 nights.
More coming up including our first venture out and about.
Photos below are frames from vid of the site.
Tried attaching the vid but file too big, I even reduced it from 33 seconds to 17 and still too big!!!!
Now have m/ home on my phone, it is more convenient, but still can't attach vids. I took quite a few, would love to put them on. Will message Jim for advice.
Happy Jack.
VID_20240706_144935577_exported_46095.jpgVID_20240706_144935577_exported_55387.jpg
VID_20240706_144935577_exported_39401.jpg
VID_20240706_144935577_exported_20583.jpg

VID_20240706_144935577_exported_55387.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Up bright and early Sunday 30th June to catch ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth. That route suited us as we were originally going to stay at Heathfield farm campsite at Freshwater. But at approx £28 A night we thought better of it. We have mostly our own facilities so simple can work.
Got to Lymington at 0810 for our 0900 ferry but they bumped us into to one just about to leave(think it was 0800? but late).
Might have been able to stay at Devizes ccc club site for 3 nights (can't leave club sites until 0700) and got a later although more costly ferry, may have ended up slightly more pricy but would have had 3 nights at Devizes instead of 1 night in Marchwood.
Went up to lounge, was wet up on top deck had been raining.
Bought a tub of Tom & Jerries, believe it or not first time ever....and last; not so much the outrageous cost which didnt realise until came to payment but to us simply bland.
Was a quick smooth crossing, and on arrival roads were quiet with it being Sunday.
Our chosen campsite? Dairymans Daughter Cottage a bit South East of Newport. It's next to the main road from Newport to Sandown at Hale common right next to Leslies Suzuki car dealer.
Arrived at about 0945, turned off road and stopped just inside entrance where the owners cottage was. The name sounds pleasant enough but the outlook initially looked different. The field was half full of new Suzuki cars (guess he rents space out)and an old Ambulance well overgrown by vegetation and 2 static caravans in need of TLC but could be nice.
Owner had spotted us , came out to greet us. Very friendly and he told us where the CDP, toilet and freshwater was. Also directed us to the inner field which allayed our worries.
Big mostly level field with plenty of EHU although if course we don't need it. Surrounded on all sides apart from the drive in gap and a gap into another even larger field which he told us is used for local DA rallies. Didnt ask what the DA stands for
It was an altogether more pleasant outlook.
Quickly got set up, wound out the canopy, set up the windbreaker and got out the chairs.
Was sunny by now, still early but simply had a nice relaxing day.
Oh and until later in the day we were the only campers there!
Cost, £70 for 10 days.
Did 2 vids of the site but no still photos. Regret that now.
Sent the vids from my phone to my Fire tablet but although the e mail seems to have arrived the vid doesn't seem to be attached?
Will have to set up M/home fun on my phone, might be able to include vids?
Later on, 2 Motorhomes arrived together and set up.
Didnt take them long to take 2 big bags of rubbish down to the bins !!!!! They only stayed 2 nights.
More coming up including our first venture out and about.
Photos below are frames from vid of the site.
Tried attaching the vid but file too big, I even reduced it from 33 seconds to 17 and still too big!!!!
Now have m/ home on my phone, it is more convenient, but still can't attach vids. I took quite a few, would love to put them on. Will message Jim for advice.
Happy Jack.
View attachment 925915View attachment 925922View attachment 925920View attachment 925921

View attachment 925914
You have to upload the video to YouTube then insert a link to it in your post.

I can try and talk you through the process if you want but you will need to set up a YouTube account first. :)

If you look at post #173 (dated 24 Sep 2023) in this thread you will see a video inserted this way. There are also still images inserted full size. The post number is shown in the top right of each post entry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking

I can try and talk you through the process if you want but you will need to set up a YouTube account first. :)

If you look at post #173 (dated 24 Sep 2023) in this thread you will see a video inserted this way. There are also still images inserted full size. The post number is shown in the top right of each post entry.

Thanks DBK will have a look. Hardly ever on you tube but did accidentally create an account when I wanted to leave a comment. Have seen that option on my phone so will have a go.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking

Just seen post 173, If I did it that way, would it mean I would have stuff on you tube that anyone could view? Not against it but never thought of it before.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just seen post 173, If I did it that way, would it mean I would have stuff on you tube that anyone could view? Not against it but never thought of it before.
No, you can set a video to private so no one else can see it unless you post a link to it. Then of course those reading the thread can see it but people won't find it by accident on YouTube, although I don't think there is anything to worry about. All my videos are set to public and I've never had any issues.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
No, you can set a video to private so no one else can see it unless you post a link to it. Then of course those reading the thread can see it but people won't find it by accident on YouTube, although I don't think there is anything to worry about. All my videos are set to public and I've never had any issues.
Thanks DBK, will try it.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi DBK. Checked You Tube, still had an account off about 3 years ago !!!
Uploaded a video. Now how do I insert a link to it?
Happy Jack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back