Tread Patterns (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any advice on tyre tread patterns for better grip in a front wheel drive Autotrail 4005kg Apache . Ours doesn't like hills with loose road covering , especially when pulling away .

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Or in the wet I expect . . . . .

Winter tyres will give you better grip but at a cost of increased wear.
Overall probably the best option.

I doubt off road tyres would help much and may perform worse, but I've no experience of them, others will be a long to advise.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Winter tyres helped our old coach-built.
But it still got very slippery on soggy ground.

Had amazing performance on our RV (7500Kg) at a very wet Peterborough show last year - twin rear wheel drive etc ....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Spread your load, too much stuff over the back axle will lighten the front and give poor grip…
Very good point on load spreading ,whilst I'm aware of this I'll definitely take another look at the amount of stuff I'm lugging around in the rear lockers . Having the fresh water tank behind the rear axle doesn't help .I have the comfortmatic gearbox , I'm going to try setting of on a loose surface hill using the manual gear mode . Although the gears shouldn't be any different in either mode its worth a try . Would lower tyre pressure make a difference to the grip do you think ?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Very good point on load spreading ,whilst I'm aware of this I'll definitely take another look at the amount of stuff I'm lugging around in the rear lockers . Having the fresh water tank behind the rear axle doesn't help .I have the comfortmatic gearbox , I'm going to try setting of on a loose surface hill using the manual gear mode . Although the gears shouldn't be any different in either mode its worth a try . Would lower tyre pressure make a difference to the grip do you think ?
Don't you have traction control on it, makes a big difference if you have.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Tyre pressure will make a difference, depending on what pressures you have…

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Don't you have traction control on it, makes a big difference if you have.
Agreed. But I think it's on by default. Traction+ is great on stuff like wet grass, but only works at low speeds. Normal traction control cuts power when the wheels spin. Traction+ I think it actively brakes the spinning wheel.
They don't wear as quickly as they used to. And they don't suffer from bad summer performance like they used to. Most motorhomes age expire the tyres before they run out of tread. So I agree that winter tyres can be a good option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Or in the wet I expect . . . . .

Overall probably the best option.

I doubt off road tyres would help much and may perform worse, but I've no experience of them, others will be a long to advise.
Does not need to be winter tyres or off road tyres..
A very good compromise is to fit All Season tyres...

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I've just fit a complete set of Continental 4 season tyres - about to give them a test across Europe starting tomorrow. They're not cheap at about ÂŁ190 a corner. Michelins are more expensive and my trusted local tyre place couldn't get any.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back