Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I kind of see what you are saying

However. You have to remember bottled water has a sell by date. It is also dechlorinated before bottling (usually by carbon filtration) and treated with UV light to disinfect it. Yes its true that if its left for a long time it will start to go green. That's because the tiny algae spores can get through the filters and it will start to multiply after a while. Its harmless but doesn't look good.

Saying that though I would put more faith in bottled water being safe to drink and make a decent cuppa that I would in water that's in a plastic tank and contains chlorine. Whilst chlorine is a massive contributor to public health, its downside is that it imparts taste into the water on exposure and if it gets warm. Some people cannot taste it, but many can. Including me. I cannot drink tea that is made with water that has been standing and contains chlorine.

The exposure to chlorine forms compounds like trihalomethanes. These bi products ae referred to as Chlorination biproducts in the industry and are regulated

So maybe your tank water is not quite so healthy as you thought. That's from a chartered chemist with 42 years Industry experience

PS. We never buy bottled water at home. However on the road we use it exclusively for drinking. Never from the on board tank.

It's only chlorine, just don't get it anywhere near stainless steel particularly the boiler.
I guess I'm asking for using it in the clean water tank only?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Hymer (from new) and the manual states quite clearly don’t travel with more than 20% full of fresh water.
That's only so they can fudge the payload figure. Over the last 16 years had 3 Hymers always travelled with a full tank. Our Carthago say the same, we still travel with a full tank.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It's only chlorine, just don't get it anywhere near stainless steel particularly the boiler.

Its only harmful to the boiler/SS if its in concentrated and long exposure. The amounts in drinking water won't harm stainless. I reckon anything that is over a 100* dilution of Milton wont either. Milton is already diluted when you buy it (2%) but is corrosive to metals at that concentration. I would never use it neat and it does need to be used with caution.

I guess I'm asking for using it in the clean water tank only?

Chlorine is good in the tank for purposes of disinfection. 4mls for a 100l tank and overnight soak. Then empty and refill. No need to rince.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
That's only so they can fudge the payload figure. Over the last 16 years had 3 Hymers always travelled with a full tank. Our Carthago say the same, we still travel with a full tank.
I would have no qualms about running with a full tank. We don't because

1. It eats into our payload unnecessarily
2. We always head somewhere with water
3. We never drink from the tank
4. I rather take more other stuff

I think I already posted the hymer advice in the manual. It doesn't say don't - it just gives the option to use the part drain tap "for travelling", which as you say is to up their quoted payload and reduce the MIRO figure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have one 10ltr and one 5 ltr bottle we fill to use for drinking and then we normally have half a tank of water for the loo, washing up and a shower each. We keep that topped up, as and when, and only fill full if we know we're staying for three or four days in any one place with no water supply. That's not our normal way of motorhoming though.

We've never struggled to get water when needed.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Its only harmful to the boiler/SS if its in concentrated and long exposure. The amounts in drinking water won't harm stainless. I reckon anything that is over a 100* dilution of Milton wont either. Milton is already diluted when you buy it (2%) but is corrosive to metals at that concentration. I would never use it neat and it does need to be used with caution.

Chlorine is good in the tank for purposes of disinfection. 4mls for a 100l tank and overnight soak. Then empty and refill. No need to rince.
Hi Gpat, you say only 4mls in a tank of 100lts but didn't you post a while back on cleaning the fresh tank that you could put a milton solution in of about 250mils or was it it 25mils or have I got it wrong please enlighten me .

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Hi Gpat, you say only 4mls in a tank of 100lts but didn't you post a while back on cleaning the fresh tank that you could put a milton solution in of about 250mils or was it it 25mils or have I got it wrong please enlighten me .
It might have been up to 10 mls but no way 250mls

To disinfect a tank you need about between 2 and 5 mg/l so that's 200mg for a 100litre tank

Milton is 2% chlorine so that means that 1 gram of it contains 0.02g of chlorine which is 20mg so that would be 10mls to get 2mg/l
If you want to disinfect the tank but its been in regular use you can reduce the dose

If the tank was very dirty you would use a higher dose (maybe up to 20mg/l to remove slime or bad tastes) but that would need to be flushed

Hope that makes sense

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I promise I did a search for this but couldn't find anything (which as I write this, makes me think the wording of my search criteria might be poor).

We don't have our Moho yet but I'm trying to cover as many learnings as we can do it's possible to just set off when we do get it. We have had caravans in the past so I'm aware of correct loading, but I like the idea off for a 'short ish' journey with some clean water on board, so do people do this?

The Moho we are getting will be a bare minimum of 3500 kg.

Thanks again from the Edwards crew of two.
I always travel with full water.

Some manufacturers seem to recommend travelling with no more than 20 litres, I think mainly as part of the payload sleight of hand, but I won't be using their vans...

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
However. You have to remember bottled water has a sell by date. It is also dechlorinated before bottling (usually by carbon filtration) and treated with UV light to disinfect it. Yes its true that if its left for a long time it will start to go green. That's because the tiny algae spores can get through the filters and it will start to multiply after a while. Its harmless but doesn't look good.

Next time you’re near a corner shop normally run by Asians have a look around the back if you can.

I’ve seen plenty of small and large bottles stored outside in full sunlight.

Sell by dates mean nothing if not stored correctly.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Next time you’re near a corner shop normally run by Asians have a look around the back if you can.

I’ve seen plenty of small and large bottles stored outside in full sunlight.

Sell by dates mean nothing if not stored correctly.
That's a very strange comment. Just normally Asians that leave water outside or normally Asians that run corner shops or both?

So, if I stick to Tesco, and a Tesco that's 'not run by Asians' we will be OK?

Do you live in the 1950's

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
In Winter particularly it's better to have water on board as most taps on Aires will be switched off....

Edit - and campsites closed until you get to Spain
When emptying the WC casette don’t waste your fresh water flushing out the WC casette, use your grey water! (As has been pointed out sometimes water isn’t available en route)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
When emptying the WC casette don’t waste your fresh water flushing out the WC casette, use your grey water! (As has been pointed out sometimes water isn’t available en route)
The grey water smells almost as bad as the contents of your cassette.....
If no water just leave it until you can

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
The grey water smells almost as bad as the contents of your cassette.....
If no water just leave it until you can
There are times when you need to flush out the solids when emptying your casette and you only have grey water to hand - especially “out of season” motorhoming. . Don’t waste precious fresh water on this! After all, you are putting it into a fairly “niffy” casette and then just tipping it out down the sewer, which you were going to do anyway!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I wont be emptying any cassette. Did once when i went away by myself. Only wee though, no chance if the other stuff was in there. I would wait till i got home and let my good lady do it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That's a very strange comment. Just normally Asians that leave water outside or normally Asians that run corner shops or both?

Asians that run corner shops, unless you’ve a liken to stealing bottled water from Asian households.

I’ve no idea what you get up to 🤷‍♂️

ps nothing strange about my post it’s just being observant.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So, if I stick to Tesco, and a Tesco that's 'not run by Asians' we will be OK?

You tell me, I don’t know how it’s been stored prior to it getting to the the shop.

Have you any idea how the distribution system works and how many miles products travel unnecessarily?

Ohh and as far as I know there isn’t any a Tesco in the UK owned by Asians 🤷‍♂️

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Depends where i am going? If a site that i have paid for the services, then fill up on arrival…

Water bill at home needs some relief!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are times when you need to flush out the solids when emptying your casette and you only have grey water to hand - especially “out of season” motorhoming. . Don’t waste precious fresh water on this! After all, you are putting it into a fairly “niffy” casette and then just tipping it out down the sewer, which you were going to do anyway!
We have a 3 litre bottle with fresh water in that 'lives' in our washroom and is used for rinsing the toilet cassette if there's no way to do it otherwise, although we don't rinse it all the time if there's not a specific cassette water tap as there's not a need to do so. Also if I need to rinse my kayak the water can be used for that too but only if we know we can get water again to top it up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never ever changed a nappy on our two boys.
It's not pleasant but far worse is having to do it for another person such as an elderly parent, I sincerely hope you never have to as even those who have done it for their kids would find it 'difficult'. 😐

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I promise I did a search for this but couldn't find anything (which as I write this, makes me think the wording of my search criteria might be poor).

We don't have our Moho yet but I'm trying to cover as many learnings as we can do it's possible to just set off when we do get it. We have had caravans in the past so I'm aware of correct loading, but I like the idea off for a 'short ish' journey with some clean water on board, so do people do this?

Always travelled with at least half a tank of fresh water.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Interesting point about bottled water being left out in the sun by shops and transport organisations. I’ve not thought about it before.

For the life of me I can’t work out what their race has to do with it though. Why even mention it.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
How much we set out with varies depending on where we are going and for how long. We tend to go with between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank if it's a short break, sometimes more if we don't know where we will be staying. I don't know why but it always seems more faff to fill up when we get somewhere unless it is a pitch with water. For no good reason that seems less faff!

If we are touring we usually try to leave with a fairly full tank if our stopover has facilities. We always try to dump the grey water if we can before leaving.

Like Rich, we usually return with just enough to do the cleaning.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Always run full if I leave from home
If I'm running home dint always bother to top up unless there's a chance of a another night or so out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back