Travel insurance with cancer diagnosis (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But that is what insurance is for, isn't it? To cover the unexpected and unplanned. It does suck, but then I'm in the same situation re blood pressure needs plus.

My issue is due to my cancer being mid treatment and still awaiting the radio therapy , so they won’t cover the prostate or cancer which I get

But they also and only because the cancer treatment is incomplete have a blanket ban on cover for anything pre-existing , well controlled BP in my case, but they will cover me for both risks post RT, so I don’t understand the no cover for the totally unrelated BP issues

But it’s their game, their rules, I have to decide go uninsured for most risks or stay at home till cancer treatment complete , I picked the latter

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I got a “high PSA” letter I rang UK Insurance (Nationwide FlexPlus account) and was told that it didn’t affect any holidays planned and booked prior to the letter. However it might affect any new bookings so I would need to update them as information becomes available.

Gordon

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
I'm over 70, have ITP, a smouldering Myeloma, mitral valve regurgitation in the heart and mild cirrhosis.
I have an annual policy with Travel Insurance 4 Medical, multi-trip, each up to 60 days, whole world except Americas,
cost £1300. Includes healthy wife. Reasonable IMO.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Had a similar experience to Rapido925M , Nationwide (uki) covered existing booked holidays pre and post treatment at no cost, for new holidays I payed an excess of about £70 for full cover. That was with radiation treatment, brachytherapy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
For our current 4 month trip to Morocco, I spent a lot of time looking for travel insurance. I have had Head and Neck cancer over 5 years ago and currently suffer low grade prostate cancer and skin cancer. I declared all of these and in the end, after about 25 quotes and non quotes, Comfort Insurance came out best for my wife and I.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
For our current 4 month trip to Morocco, I spent a lot of time looking for travel insurance. I have had Head and Neck cancer over 5 years ago and currently suffer low grade prostate cancer and skin cancer. I declared all of these and in the end, after about 25 quotes and non quotes, Comfort Insurance came out best for my wife and I.

But as I understand it, Comfort do not provide insurance cover for Morocco, at least they definitely stopped providing Motorhome insurance for Maroc quite a few years ago.....just saying.

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
But as I understand it, Comfort do not provide insurance cover for Morocco, at least they definitely stopped providing Motorhome insurance for Maroc quite a few years ago.....just saying.
Hmm..no..see my redacted insurance cert attached

Screenshot_20240522-151217.png

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Insurancewith Logo
have just insured me for a 2 week holiday to Greece- single trip only as I am just off chemo and [oh joy] it gave me blood clots which I am still taking tablets for .. Very comprehensive form to fill in - slightly confusing as it lists each condition then asks specifics about that , had to remove answers re clots from the 'cancer' heading then re enter 'blood clots' as seperate. But good cover- less than half price of other sites I had tried, tho didn't see some of the others mentioned on here .
Also as a bonus [after cancelling Staysure as they were atrocious ! Charged us x 2 wouldn't refund but that's another story] Now have skiing included in single person annual insurance for Sarah, previously always had couples annual with Staysure included ski for me tho I dont ski ..] saved £100 on this even taking into consideration my £inflated solo trip in July .

Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
Insurancewith Logo
have just insured me for a 2 week holiday to Greece- single trip only as I am just off chemo and [oh joy] it gave me blood clots which I am still taking tablets for .. Very comprehensive form to fill in - slightly confusing as it lists each condition then asks specifics about that , had to remove answers re clots from the 'cancer' heading then re enter 'blood clots' as seperate. But good cover- less than half price of other sites I had tried, tho didn't see some of the others mentioned on here .
Also as a bonus [after cancelling Staysure as they were atrocious ! Charged us x 2 wouldn't refund but that's another story] Now have skiing included in single person annual insurance for Sarah, previously always had couples annual with Staysure included ski for me tho I dont ski ..] saved £100 on this even taking into consideration my £inflated solo trip in July .
I have bowel cancer and just undergoing chemo currently and asked this question on a bowel cancer forum and InsuranceWith was recommended by all! we don’t get our Motorhome till 22nd July - cannot wait - but once chemo is finished In Oct/Nov I will be looking to use this company. Very positive feedback on them. Wishing you all the best with your treatment and happy travels !!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That’s really helpful, I use staysure as I’m in remission from a blood cancer and the annual renewal process is painful!
12 months after Mrs Emmit went into the remission the Insurance Co. said they were not taking any notice of her previous Lymphoma.

They said that, because she had been clear for a year, it was as if she never had it in the first place.

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
12 months after Mrs Emmit went into the remission the Insurance Co. said they were not taking any notice of her previous Lymphoma.

They said that, because she had been clear for a year, it was as if she never had it in the first place.
Our travel insurance company, a packaged Barclays account has done exactly this with the cancers, and other illnesses that my wife and I both have.

If we have had no treatment for over a year, and are not awaiting further investigation for any illness, then they will cover us.

I have, within the last month, updated Barclays travel insurance with an up to date list of ailments that we have had treatment for.
The letter that we subsequently received from them was 4 sides of A4 and it listed every question that they asked, and every answer that we provided
The letter makes it very clear what illnesses that we are covered for (nearly all) and what they wont cover.

All was pretty straight forward, and the phone call took about 45 mins for the 2 of us (not each)

I hope this helps someone

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
All insurance is gambling. If you don't take it out you're gambling that everything will be okay and you foot the bills. If the insurance company offer a quote they're gambling on the average payout being a lot less than premiums as they have a buisness to run with overheads and need to make a profit. Travel insurance isn't compulsory and I find it strange that people who clearly don't want to carry the risk themselves are surprised that it's expensive for someone else to carry the can if things go wrong. On the not covering pre existing conditions when something else is discovered I suspect it's because when one condition is treated it's quite likely to affect lots of other things as the poster having problems with blood clots post treatment has found and if someone has been covered for a condition stable under treatment it's quite possible it might not be.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Travel insurance isn't compulsory and I find it strange that people who clearly don't want to carry the risk themselves are surprised that it's expensive for someone else to carry the can if things go wrong.
Not sure I understand what you mean here ?

Fully agree with the rest though!

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer, awaiting Radiotherapy start date, but have been refused travel insurance through my normal brokers options

They have sent me the above link with government linked suggestions , before I start has anybody here used any of them , or have any other suggestions 🙏
Try Insure and Go. Rock insurance. We got travel cover last year with a diagnosis

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Our current insurers will now only offer me 35 days cover in one trip whilst abroad because I'm over 70yrs.
How stupid is that, they said older people tend not to travel as much so don't need it though a 69 yr old gets 66 days cover, as the song says, "What a difference a Day Makes".

Isn't that ageist? How can they discriminate against you simply because of your age?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Isn't that ageist? How can they discriminate against you simply because of your age?
Are you saying that old and young people have the same number of health issues? It would seem one of the main factors in deciding terms and premiums on travel health insurance

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I guess that's exactly what it is, but insurance companies aren't bothered about that unlike all the other institutes in this crumbling country of ours.

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Are you saying that old and young people have the same number of health issues? It would seem one of the main factors in deciding terms and premiums on travel health insurance
I know one thing young people suffer from far more trauma and anxiety issues than the older population.

Reactions: HKF
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I know one thing young people suffer from far more trauma and anxiety issues than the older population.
Maybe those issues don't affect travel insurance claims. As much as we'd all like to think we're going to live forever in perfect health it's not the reality. Unless you're going on a holiday where health insurance is compulsory it's shop around and either accept the risk of going uninsured or pay up.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Awaiting delivery
Exp
Since 2005
We are with Nationwide on their Flex Plus Account that gives travel insurance. I declared my Prostate cancer diagnosis and radical prostatectomy in 2020, still clear with 6 monthly PSA monitoring for 5 years, no exclusions imposed.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Quite possibly, with all the younger people dying now. Perhaps we'll see their deciding parameters start to change soon?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Quite possibly, with all the younger people dying now. Perhaps we'll see their deciding parameters start to change soon?
It depends on if the people dying are affecting claims. Which ones do you mean? Someone in the local U3a recently died on a cruise ship I'd have thought that a pretty big claim.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It depends on if the people dying are affecting claims. Which ones do you mean? Someone in the local U3a recently died on a cruise ship I'd have thought that a pretty big claim.

I was thinking straight away of all the young, fit sports people, who seem to be dying from heart problems. There are also increasing reports of younger people being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, without a prior diagnosis. Then there are all the reports of people dying as a result of Covid vaccinations. There just seems to be a general big shift. Or maybe there are just more cases being reported. I'm not sure but one thing I am sure of is that the underwriters will use any excuse or reason to increase premiums and decrease or deny cover.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was thinking straight away of all the young, fit sports people, who seem to be dying from heart problems. There are also increasing reports of younger people being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, without a prior diagnosis. Then there are all the reports of people dying as a result of Covid vaccinations. There just seems to be a general big shift. Or maybe there are just more cases being reported. I'm not sure but one thing I am sure of is that the underwriters will use any excuse or reason to increase premiums and decrease or deny cover.
I think in all those cases it's very unlikely they would be on holiday at the time and they get reported a lot because they are very rare .
It's the same with the COVID jabs the death rate is reckoned to be less than 10 per million ( compared to the overall death rate for COVID of 3000 per million in the UK).
I doubt there'll be any significant change in mortality for youngsters the biggest cause by far is suicide unlikely to affect travel insurance I suspect excluded.
Contrast that with someone in an older age group.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The statista link doesn't appear to work but basically you are 20 times more likely to die if you're in your early 80,s than your 30,s 50 times more likely in your late 80,s. You can see why insurers are likely to charge a lot more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back