Trackers. (2 Viewers)

Feb 12, 2023
Merthyr Tydfil, UK
Funster No
MH
Giottivan
Exp
I was just reading the thread about the stolen motorhome. Was wondering how much does a tracker save on average when renewing insurance? I am aware a good tracker with lifetime contract would be approx £1200.

I have a non insurance recognised tracker that cost £4.99 for tracking a month, connected to my peugeot boxer campervan battery. A Cobra/Vodafone alarm and factory fitted immobiliser. And a galaxy tag hidden in the van.

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
I'm not sure if it's about saving money on premiums by fitting a tracker that's Thatcham approved. It is more like you will not get insured for theft by the insurance companies without one being fitted.
There are plenty of cheap non subscription devices, however most insurance companies will insist on the latest Thatcham tracking devices.
I have a one of these S5 tracking and 2 stage immobiliser plus the original vehicle manufacturer's immobiliser.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
It's more about stopping the van going missing and the ability to get insurance than saving dosh. Our vodafone s5 has remote engine immobiliser so vodafone can liaise with police to stop engine when safe. We get an alert if van moved without my tag being present.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
LV weren't interested that we'd had a tracker fitted when they insured our new Globecar last year. No effect on premium. Mind you, they didn't want to know how much we'd paid either......

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been getting quotes ready for the new van when it arrives, current insurer Comfort £1000 not allowed to drive of the forecourt without tracker & alarm.
LV & NFU both £755 no tracker or Alarm required & no discount for them if fitted. Insured value £130k.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
LV weren't interested that we'd had a tracker fitted when they insured our new Globecar last year. No effect on premium. Mind you, they didn't want to know how much we'd paid either......
Really, surely they need to know the value as all car policies do and especially high value MH

Upvote 0
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Really, surely they need to know the value as all car policies do and especially high value MH
That's what I thought, but apparently not! Other funsters have reported the same. They have it down as a Fiat Motor Caravan and will want to see invoices etc if we make a claim.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Same here. Asked LV a couple of times.
They only ask the questions if you make a claim and what is the current market value.
They said ( nothing in writing) that all accessories fitted were also covered.
HTH
Cheers
Sid

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Interesting info about the tracker. The tracker is only of interest to the insurer. The annual fee is significant. If I can save that, moving to another insurer I might well do. The efficacy of the alarm and non starter is of more significance to me.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting info about the tracker. The tracker is only of interest to the insurer. The annual fee is significant. If I can save that, moving to another insurer I might well do. The efficacy of the alarm and non starter is of more significance to me.
But tracker helps if its moved say onto a low loader without being started, if it moves however much it triggers the alert or if battery is disconnected etc.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
T
That's what I thought, but apparently not! Other funsters have reported the same. They have it down as a Fiat Motor Caravan and will want to see invoices etc if we make a claim.
Hats the issue, making a claim has anyone had one?

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Our van has Thatcham approved alarm and tracker with remote immobiliser, the tracker being 24-hour monitored by a control centre. Our insurers, Comfort, were happy that we had them but offered no discount on the premium because we already had an 'old codgers discount' or words to that effect.

For us the initial outlay and ongoing cost of a 24-hour monitored tracker is worth it and on a few occasions the control centre has proved that it's really on the ball. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back