Towing (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Rapido
Exp
since 2018
Hi All, can you flat tow an automatic aygo behind a motorhome.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our ‘automatic” Aygo was a robotised manual so we could tow it. The Aygo X is a CVT transmission so not sure about that.

Check out which one you have.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The Owners Manuals for my son's auto Smart car and my auto Fabia give guidance about being towed. Maybe the Aygo manual does as well?

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Yes. Same for the Citroen C1 & Peugeot 108, they're the same car. We tow a 2017 Citroen C1 auto.

1725570661658.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We towed a Suzuki Ignis with electric ignition and roboticized gearbox.
Dunno how, but it turned on and a mile down the M25, it blew a hole in the engine block. About four grand later, we put the A Frame into the shed where it still sits today.

So, less the gearbox and more about the type of ignition.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
We towed a Suzuki Ignis with electric ignition and roboticized gearbox.
Dunno how, but it turned on and a mile down the M25, it blew a hole in the engine block. About four grand later, we put the A Frame into the shed where it still sits today.

So, less the gearbox and more about the type of ignition.
The Ignis automatic (automated manual) has a wet clutch design and should not be flat towed. The clutch does not receive its lubrication and heats up to critical levels.

The Aygo/C1/108, Smart, and Fiat 500 automatics have dry clutches that do not need lubrication, and can be flat towed.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
.... or get a trailer.

It will last 25-30 years.
It has a resale value, or can be bought second hand.
You can reverse with a trailer,
(reversing with a Toad is very difficult/impossible)
No modifications needed to the Toad.
You swap the Toad as often as you like with no cost penalty.
You can legally take the Toad on holiday anywhere in the rest of Europe.
If storage space is an issue, then folding trailers are available that are suitable for Smart car size vehicles.
A trailer can be used to carry other items, stuff for the tip, furniture, etc. when required.
A trailer can go on the back of any vehicle with a tow bar, including the Toad.

Other than the possible storage issue, I am unable to see a single advantage of getting a A frame fitted to any car

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
We have just bought a brand new Aygo X manual with keyless entry and push button stop/start. I was very concerned that the push button stop/start would lock the steering column when we “toad” it. However after a quick internet search I discovered a fantastic company in Stoke on Trent called Towtal, their technicians installed an over-ride switch for the stop/start and fitted the electrics for the lighting system, (brake lights, indicators etc.) for just under £200, it took them 45 minutes to fit and their fit and finish is just like original equipment. In short, outstanding!

Cheers!

Russ

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
The Ignis automatic (automated manual) has a wet clutch design and should not be flat towed. The clutch does not receive its lubrication and heats up to critical levels.

That's what the garage said, as well!
As they removed and replaced the engine.

What made me livid was that we specifically asked the A Frame converters, whether the Ignis automatic was suitable for toading, and they said yes, no problem. Bloody crooks.

However, we did A Frame it to C Wicklow Ireland without any problems, so I don't know.
Anyway, we did the sensible thing and got a trailer so we could use it abroad; which would be my advice to anyone considering fitting an A Frame.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
That's what the garage said, as well!
As they removed and replaced the engine.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way (expensive way).

When we were choosing a toad we preferred the Ignis - nice little car - but I remembered reading something about different automated manuals and did some research, that's why we ended up with the Aygo auto.

Trailer is the only sensible option if you want to go abroad. Suggest you put a towbar on the Ignis because abroad they sometimes want the trailer stored elsewhere, and Ignis can do this easier. You also want a security wheel and hitch lock for the trailer. 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Sorry you had to find out the hard way (expensive way).

When we were choosing a toad we preferred the Ignis - nice little car - but I remembered reading something about different automated manuals and did some research, that's why we ended up with the Aygo auto.

Trailer is the only sensible option if you want to go abroad. Suggest you put a towbar on the Ignis because abroad they sometimes want the trailer stored elsewhere, and Ignis can do this easier. You also want a security wheel and hitch lock for the trailer. 👍

Should have said. After the fracas over the A Frame, we had a Woodford lwt 072 twn axle and we pulled the Ignis round Europe. Got rid of it because it was unmovable when loaded and the bloody ramps were long, heavy and noisy to fit. And, yes, we fitted the Ignis with its own towbar so it can maneuver its own trailer. It is a removable jobby, and most of the time, lives in the boot.

Great minds think alike!!

We sacked the Woodford and didn't take a car these last two years, but this year, the chaos trying to find motorhome parking at Punta Sabbione for the boat to Venice, has decided us to start again with a trailer, secure in the knowledge that we have made every possible mistake that can be made with a small car in Europe!

I will be asking a couple of questions elsewhere in the forum.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
.... or get a trailer.

It will last 25-30 years.
It has a resale value, or can be bought second hand.
You can reverse with a trailer,
(reversing with a Toad is very difficult/impossible)
No modifications needed to the Toad.
You swap the Toad as often as you like with no cost penalty.
You can legally take the Toad on holiday anywhere in the rest of Europe.
If storage space is an issue, then folding trailers are available that are suitable for Smart car size vehicles.
A trailer can be used to carry other items, stuff for the tip, furniture, etc. when required.
A trailer can go on the back of any vehicle with a tow bar, including the Toad.

Other than the possible storage issue, I am unable to see a single advantage of getting a A frame fitted to any car
With the new 'smart' A Frames reversing is quite easy. We tend to use both a trailer or a car depending on what we're doing.

Upvote 0

HGVPete161

Free Member
Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2006 Fiat Ducato cus
Hi All, can you flat tow an automatic aygo behind a motorhome.
I don't think you can tow an automatic, as it will do the gearbox in, it may be different with the newer motors but I wouldn't risk it if it was me. I would get a small trailer or a towing dolly and suspend the drive wheels

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I was asking Jonno1103, so if you have nothing sensible to offer, please don't bother.
The braking etc is electronically controlled, there's no physical connection to the brake servo etc. Braking is proportionate so however light or hard you apply the brakes in the motorhome the tow car does the same. If the tow car becomes detatched the stopping process is also controlled.

Towbars2towcars has online videos demonstrating their ease of use & manouvreability.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
The braking etc is electronically controlled, there's no physical connection to the brake servo etc. Braking is proportionate so however light or hard you apply the brakes in the motorhome the tow car does the same. If the tow car becomes detatched the stopping process is also controlled.

Towbars2towcars has online videos demonstrating their ease of use & manouvreability.

That's not new. TB2TC fitted that to my Aygo automatic toad 6 years ago.

On top of that, the toad gets wired up through a 13 pin socket in the front grill to work all the lights, so you don't need a lighting bar.

Works very well - but not cheap!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Ah! I thought you had found something new ... I agree that Towbars2Towcars setup does everything you say regarding braking but apart from that they are no easier to reverse.
I have been using T2T A frames for almost 10 years.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Ah! I thought you had found something new ... I agree that Towbars2Towcars setup does everything you say regarding braking but apart from that they are no easier to reverse.
I have been using T2T A frames for almost 10 years.
I reverse ours up the angled driveway and turn it towards our garages easily enough?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back