Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 2008
A relative of ours has offered us his Smart Carfor2.
Its a 2016 Auto and immaculate.
We were wondering if this can use used as a Tow Car?..being Auto?
( with correct A-frame/electrics of course)

Cheers in advance
Clemmo

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Yes.
We do that.
2010 Smart convertible, auto.
So long as it’s the servo type auto, you’re ok.
Auto, 1234 left. Neutral middle, reverse right.

Enjoy it.

Tony

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph75-4
Exp
I tow a Smart Car with the Auto Box with no issues. The only very slight problem I very occasionally have is the steering on the Smart rocks side to side if I take a turn too sharp. A typical example is on small mini roundabouts that can be very tight. The remedy is simple, pull to a stop and then drive off very slowly for a few yards and all ok again.
This has happened on a very few instances. The first time it happened in a Sainsbury’s car park when negotiating out of a tight space. I honestly thought I had a puncture but a chap walking by said it was weird that the steering wheel was going side to side.
I drove on and all was fine. It is a very occasional occurrence but now I am aware what it is I know to be on the lookout for it on tight turns to catch it as it happens.
It can be many trips before it happens and now I’m aware of it I take particular care in car parks etc when carrying out tight turns.
Other than that it’s a great little car, ideal for towing behind the MH and does about 70 to the gallon. I did read somewhere that Smarts run better on Premium Petrol so that’s what I use.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back