Touring Ireland

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
Since 2021
Hi all
For the last four years we have toured France and Spain extensively and have never made any plans, just followed the bonnet, never booked any sites in advance and never had any problems just turning up at sites and always got a pitch. Next year, April May and June we are going over to Ireland for a change, never been before so looking forward to it. The question is, do we need to book sites in advance over there, or are there always pitches available? Also does it count towards your 90 days? is anyone stamping passports and checking as we are entering into northern Ireland first from Scotland. We hope not as we would like to go back to France later in the year.
Cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Take wellies and raincoats and you will be fine. Don't know about sites we just wilded when we went but I think it's a bit more difficult now but still doable.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Main season in Ireland is shorter than England /Wales so some sites may not have opened in April. Apps like P4N useful. May and June most places except really popular areas unlikely to be full but I tender to check websites or similar if I wanted a site to book ahead by say a day. But could often take a chance.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Did Wild Atlantic Way April/May this year. Paid for parkup once in 6 weeks, rest all beaches and car parks etc plus a few pub stops. They have a very relaxed attitude to campers over there, unlike England! Weather was incredible, 2 wettish days in 6 weeks, the rest was sunny but cool.
No border checks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If you are using sites some weekends could be busy but chances are that you will always get in somewhere. As suggested above perhaps phone ahead the day before to check availability. Mon to Thu night won’t be a problem. Note - Easter is in April next year and popular sites will be busy then. No passport required and no checks at the border. Still plenty of places to wild camp but getting fewer each year due to height barriers and no camping/ no motorhomes signs.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
since 2006
Hi all
For the last four years we have toured France and Spain extensively and have never made any plans, just followed the bonnet, never booked any sites in advance and never had any problems just turning up at sites and always got a pitch
Done Ireland ,north and south a few times and as yourself never plan or very rarely use sites, north is uk but no need for passport to either , I am a member of the main Irish forum (craic) and friends with many members and have attended their meets over there which helps. Did do a tour using stopping places provided by the site but unfortunately it doesn't now exist although Ally the owner is working on a new version.
i have shut down my website which had a few links but here's a couple of blogs which still exist.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We took the car last May and included the far north of the South, around the Donegal area...... couldn't understand a word anybody said. Just nodded and smiled politely at what seemed the appropriate moment.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back