Total newbie considering full time living in a motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

LittleJason

Free Member
Aug 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hi everyone, I am a 54 year old newly single guy going through a divorce and am considering getting myself some type of motor home and living in it full time. It might only be 6 months to a year or might be longer but I wanted to find out some tips and advice about this idea and wanted to get some advice about which type of van to look for.
I’ve always loved the cool styling of say a T5 with a pop up roof so I can stand up and stretch my back out. I’m not tall at 5ft 6 but want the option of standing.
I do love the idea of the bigger homes with bed over the cabin (not sure what the terminology for this is) but suspect that may be total overkill especially for my first one seeing as it’s only me.

There will be lots of different questions I need to ask and will pester you all no doubt but if anyone has any first place suggestions to look at on here then please shout them over.

I am based in Essex and keen to know any places that people might suggest looking at a MH. I would like to budget around 15k

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Little Boy Reaction GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

T5 with a pop up roof . For full time
No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Well you are not the first one to become a 'FHL' due to divorce.

There are many things to consider, but first I'd suggest you hire a motorhome for a week or two and go for a pootle around the UK and see what type of motorhome you really want.

As others will tell you only three things matter.
Layout
Layout
and budget

Winter is not the best time to start.
I'd spend the next few months working out what you want/need with the idea of buying at the low point in the motorhome market around December/February
(Although you may not have the choice of models as no one sells mid winter!)
And then kicking off on your travels after Easter.

For the winter I'd be looking at a nice little two up/two down with a roaring log fire in a seaside town in southern England.
There are lot of holiday cottages available that are looking for the long term (max 3 month) winter tenant.
All the bills, including the cleaning and the Netflix, will be paid as part of the rent.

As a FYI "FHL"s (Furnished Holiday Lets) have tax implication rules that means they will normally only rent for a maximum of 28 days at a time, but you can often do 3 x 28 days back to back, particularly if you can put the second 28 days in a different name/address/bank account.

You may find one that will consider upto 6 months, usually 1st October to 31 March, but there will be conditions attached to that, as the heating bill etc will need to be factored into the rent.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I own a T5. With a pop top. And I wouldn't want to be living in it FT. I know some people do, and I also know some people have to live in cars, but if you have a choice not to, I'd strongly advise not to.

If you're living in it, you need enough space to stand up without messing with a roof. A fixed top van will also give you better noise and temperature insulation. What size of van you choose is a very personal decision but there will always be compromises whichever you choose.

Also, VWs are expensive and hold their value. Which is a good thing in many ways. But you're likely to get more for your money elsewhere. This van was for sale at the Malvern show at the weekend. It's a few years old but has good seating/bed space, good head height. Is light. Has a loo/shower, and decent 'kitchen' space with storage. I'm not suggesting this is the van for you, but if I were going to be going FT and had a limited budget, something like this would be a starting point in terms of looking.
DSC_4318-Western MH Show-lo.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My wife and I lived in a 5.4m Ducato for 6 months while we toured Europe. Compact, but complete bathroom, permanent bed and a reasonable kitchen. It was great for holiday use. But we were out every day and the weather was fantastic. I don't think I could return from work to it every day in the UK. Would you still be commuting? In a car?

We've switched to a 6m a-class with much more livable space. Chosen because we can fit it on the drive. We've both remote worked from it for a couple of weeks to extend a holiday. If I were to full time, I'd probably get a 7m.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Hi everyone, I am a 54 year old newly single guy going through a divorce and am considering getting myself some type of motor home and living in it full time. It might only be 6 months to a year or might be longer but I wanted to find out some tips and advice about this idea and wanted to get some advice about which type of van to look for.
I’ve always loved the cool styling of say a T5 with a pop up roof so I can stand up and stretch my back out. I’m not tall at 5ft 6 but want the option of standing.
I do love the idea of the bigger homes with bed over the cabin (not sure what the terminology for this is) but suspect that may be total overkill especially for my first one seeing as it’s only me.

There will be lots of different questions I need to ask and will pester you all no doubt but if anyone has any first place suggestions to look at on here then please shout them over.

I am based in Essex and keen to know any places that people might suggest looking at a MH. I would like to budget around 15k
If it is full time, a cab over bed might be an idea, it can get a bit tedious, having to pack up a bed every day.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You need a bed you can fall into at the end of the day not one you have to rearrange cushions and make the bed every single night.
Over-cab bed ideal, you pull it down and climb in, and you still have all the van accessible.
Proper loo and shower essential for full timing.
Comfortable seating/lounging also important.
You need a reasonable space to live in as there will be bad weather or even sickness when you won’t want to or can’t go out!
I really don’t think a VW van would be suitable.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
:hiya: w2f I agree you need a van you can stand up in without faffing around pushing the roof up, a drop down bed you can fall into anytime without having to make it up and a loo/shower room along with nice seating area for watching tv/reading etc. and an oven/grill and gas hob unless you can afford to eat out every night or takeaways. Good luck with your search and your new life.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As already said, don’t get a VW to try and live full time, the dream would soon become a nightmare and shatter the romantic illusion of living full time in a van.

You want and need some form of central heating, somewhere to stretch out, a decent bed or after a month you’ll be fed up, with back ache and feel pretty fed up. A toilet to dump in 💩 as portaloos are fine for only so long, but not full timing. A decent shower, proper cooker, lots of battery/solar power, insulation, cupboard space etc, the list is honestly pretty long.

Oh and finally…….welcome

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
No mention of where you are going to stay in whatever you buy. Are you looking to wildcamp or stay on sites? That affects what you need in the van, and also what solar/battery requirements you need depending on being independent or hooked up to the mains on a campsite.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome Jason :welcome3:

Lots of good advice in this thread already. You may not be tall, but a T5 would be very restrictive - in its facilities as well as space. Go for a 5.4m PVC or suchlike that are still small, but will provide you with better facilities (or rent a cottage/trailer home for a while).

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
So many unknowns:
Do you commute? Can you park a large vehicle at work?
Where do you think you will reside? Campsites will cost about £15-30 per night so a holiday let might be cheaper (especially in S Spain for the winter?)
If not on a campsite, how will you dispose of toilet waste?
Do you possess a license allowing you to drive vehicles over 3.5T?
Is access to medical care important? Do you have family or friends who can act as a “permanent” address?

As you are considering a MH are you looking to a traveler existence? If not, might a caravan be more appropriate? For the same money you would get more space and better equipment AND you would have somewhere to live if the motor requires work done.

You may have already considered these and a host of other questions BUT as others have suggested, your choice of a VW implies that you are still in the early stages.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Gordon

(My questions were all rhetorical 😉)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Uber Leisure in Epping are worth looking at, they advertise on eBay and auto trader. If you go, spend a lot of time going over everything as there are ' no returns/warranty' ....

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
To be honest the op of this thread hasn't been seen since Tuesday when he posted this . So we're probably all wasting our time replying now.
Well if he comes back and is serious, I would say your van is probably his best bet having seen all the love and attention you have given it and the very nice finish on the electrical system. I would be happy with that if I was in the market.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Frustrating isn’t it, but then I suppose we don’t know their commitments as such.
True, hopefully not, but maybe he has received a letter from his solicitor, and his budget will now only scrape to a Peugeot Partner and a mattress.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back