TomTom threat?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use the built in sat nab in our car but the traffic network it uses has been discontinued so we use Google maps when going any significant distance so we can route around the jams. The roads don't move but accidents roadworks and traffic jams do! Our new car has a different operating system so we'll compare it to Google maps and see if there's any difference

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
This morning I received another TomTom email saying my device is now old technology and I should update it. I thus take it that they are yet again planning to withdraw the updates. It still does what I want, and works fine. I've still got a couple of outdated ones in the garage. Annoying! I don't want to have to use a phone!!
I get those emails from Tom Tom saying my device is old tech.
I don't even have a Tom Tom, so it's just marketing

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
The last map update I did, years ago, included NO UK updates routes at all. The whole update was for Western Europe and with our internet took 7 hours
Think about it, even new town by-passes have road signs and when did you last hear of a new major road, that you may use, being constructed.
Your current maps are more than adequate.
We have two tomtom camper/caravan sat navs that are over 10 years old and still keep updating. One in the Motorhome and one in Rosemarie's car for pulling her 2700kg horse trailer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
This is a timely thread for me. My 6 year old Garmin won't install updated maps for Western Europe. But it will update 30Mb of system data.
I have decided to carry on in Spain & France with the Garmin but keep google maps handy as backup.
My four year old Garmin 890 started doing the same thing. A GPS without maps is pretty useless despite many time-consuming attempts to reinstall. As for Tom-Tom announcing that the models they were still selling very recently aren’t fit for purpose, words fail me.

I’ve been using Waze on an iPhone for a decade and covered tens of thousands of miles. It does have the irritating habit of looking for rabbit hole sized short cuts but that encourages situational awareness (know where you are and where you’re going). Side by side with the Garmin or Tomtom it wins hands down for ease of use. I do keep Co-pilot for the downloaded maps but haven’t used it this year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Although TomTom is very good it’s outdated technology when compared to Google maps or Waze connected via my phone. No updates required and always bang up to date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+
In France recently for 2 wks, I down loaded Sygic, for Truck. Motorhome, and Caravan version, First week free trial. After inputting vehicle dimensions, Height width length and weight. Worked extremely well, had a few diversions because of height and weight.. The trial is for premium+ you get all the usual good stuff, lane assist, fuel + food stops etc. Liked it so much paid for the full version for 3yrs, about 50euros at the time because it was on offer at the time. Much better than any of the others I've tried. Using the car version now in my taxi, brilliant updates for road works. busy traffic etc. Can use either app on Ipad or iPhone but not at the same time, just have to sign in to activate on one and it deactivates on the other.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
I have a Tom Tom and a Garmin. The Tom Tom has always been reliable with updates and especially reliable when I have been in remote places without a phone signal. BUT, the battery no longer holds significant charge so I sent it to get the battery replaced. However, the company I sent it to came to the conclusion that the battery cannot be replaced by a third party battery but only with a tom tom original which is no longer available. (TomTom doesn't offer dairy for such an old device). So no battery replacement. It still works when plugged in but only when connected to power. Grrr

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
The last map update I did, years ago, included NO UK updates routes at all. The whole update was for Western Europe and with our internet took 7 hours
Think about it, even new town by-passes have road signs and when did you last hear of a new major road, that you may use, being constructed.
Your current maps are more than adequate.
To name but three, A487 near both Caernarfon and Machynlleth in North Wales have been substantially reworked and the M25/A3 Junction will be very 'exciting' without a map update (and if you want to go to the RHS Wisley which is next to these works and don't know about the changes you will have a few miles added to your journey). Arguably the bigger issue with Motorhomes is that they ARE bigger - my TomTom knows my moho weights (including axle weights) and dimensions, so when road changes affect size restrictions it helps to know before getting stuck.

That being said, TomTom does have a rather 'aggressive' approach to pushing upgrades (they have had to apologies once or twice for going too far on this point).

The time to update is a fair point, but I just plug it in and start the updates a couple of days before a trip - so nothing a little planning won't sort.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
This morning I received another TomTom email saying my device is now old technology and I should update it. I thus take it that they are yet again planning to withdraw the updates. It still does what I want, and works fine. I've still got a couple of outdated ones in the garage. Annoying! I don't want to have to use a phone!!
When they did that to me I bought a cheap sat nav for £35 it has been great

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I get these from time to time. On delving more deeply I realised I still had my old TomTom One and another registered. These were out of date but my other two still update. Since I removed the very old ones the emails have stopped.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I get these from time to time. On delving more deeply I realised I still had my old TomTom One and another registered. These were out of date but my other two still update. Since I removed the very old ones the emails have stopped.
You could be right. But maybe I could use the very old one for the car!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi royandsharont

A little surprised as it works in my VW Taigo via Apple CarPlay using the Apps switch middle right.
The App works DJA i just can’t tap the car screen to see full route and couldn’t even get it up from the phone screen which was strange. I thought it would just duplicate what was on the phone screen. Perhaps if I had a longer route it would be noticeable but I didn’t see it change at all. Thanks gor the help though 😊

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I bought the TomTom app for our Android radio. Regular map updates.Works just great. We have Search Forsites also installed.This also works very well. Choose a destination,scroll down to navigation, choose TomTom (or others are available!) TomTom opens sets the route, off we go. Simples!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I bought a TomTom GO off EBay about fifteen years ago. The maps at the time were a few years old already. Keep it in our runabout car. Still works satisfactorily. Most of the roads in towns have been there for years anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back