TomTom threat?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This morning I received another TomTom email saying my device is now old technology and I should update it. I thus take it that they are yet again planning to withdraw the updates. It still does what I want, and works fine. I've still got a couple of outdated ones in the garage. Annoying! I don't want to have to use a phone!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The last map update I did, years ago, included NO UK updates routes at all. The whole update was for Western Europe and with our internet took 7 hours
Think about it, even new town by-passes have road signs and when did you last hear of a new major road, that you may use, being constructed.
Your current maps are more than adequate.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 12 year old snooper which I replaced with the newer model 3 years ago.
The 3 year old one is now out of warranty and has constant glitches, always at the moment you need it most!

I now use copilot on my iPad, but the old snooper is still doing its bit and plodding on despite no updates available.

It’s all a con to push their sales and profits.

Just look at Gillette razors they bring out a new super efficient and more expensive bladed version nearly every year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
I use a 10 year old Garmin motorcycle satnav, still receiving updates. A couple of years ago they opened the new Caernarfon bypass, this was opened ahead of schedule, but my Garmin had been telling me for almost a year prior to that to use it! At the moment it tells me the speed limit is 30 mph for the whole length, whereas it is posted 30mph only on the roundabouts.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What surprises me is that according to other postings, most of these mappings are based on freely available software.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Is there a special method to do that? 1 have an old 720 that I could use in the car.
I plug it into the laptop about twice a year. You open the tomtom software.. Or is it a browser page🤔 it's an icon on the home screen anyway, can't remember what it's called🤔..... You have to sign in with email and password and it then tells you there is an update of Europe Maps and usually charging stations. Tick the boxes and it updates automatically, took a couple of hours the other day 😊

DJA

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Dorwyn

If your GO720 is the 4.3" model then it is a circa 17 year old. It used to use the TomTom HOME software on your computer for updates etcetera , not Tomtom Connect, but I think you will find that the unit is now obsolete. The major problem with the old units is that they had limited internal memory which is necessary for the operating system and in some cases the maps as well. The maps these days are far more detailed with all the road and building changes and so the files cannot fit on the old devices.

Regarding the email you received it could be referring to your GO720 if it is still listed in your account with Tomtom. If you delete the device from your account then the emails might stop unless any of the other units you have are also very old. Interestingly on a review site the GO720 was reviewed in 2007 and stated that the MSRP was $499 which is more than you would pay today for a device with Lifetime World Maps. It also had RDS TMC traffic which is notas good as the Traffic data you get now from Tomtom.

Last edited:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Dorwyn

If your GO720 is the 4.3" model then it is a circa 17 year old. It used to use the TomTom HOME software on your computer for updates etcetera , not Tomtom Connect, but I think you will find that the unit is now obsolete. The major problem with the old units is that they had limited internal memory which is necessary for the operating system and in some cases the maps as well. The maps these days are far more detailed with all the road and building changes and so the files cannot fit on the old devices.
Internal memory issues is a load of ballony as well. I love my 720, still use it. It takes a memory card and has more than enough room for updates. But tom tom insist I must by a new one as my current unit is " obsolete".

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Mine is only a few years old and I’m getting those emails too. I read it as a push from them to sell new products not telling me mine may become obsolete soon. I have the phone App too but hardly ever use it. Whilst I can get the more recent ‘my places’ on it because they are in my Account I cannot get my old POI I created on my previous one and imported to my current one, which you cannot create any more. Plus the phone App does not let me see a larger map rather than the road I’m on like I can on the sat nav

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Buy a gps enabled android tablet with the latest o/s and subscribe to copilot, it will last you years and years, mine is still downloading new maps and working well on a ten year old Samsung tab s2
That's good info, my particular issue is that swmbo cannot operate anything like that so I prefer the usage of a satnav that I can program and place on the dash, and my old 720 would do in the car just for shorter trips. I haven't tried it like that tbh, I just assumed it needed updating to work. Also good info was the reference to having previous sat navs lasted on my account. I've also got one listed that went when my previous van was stolen. I wonder if it's traceable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
This is a timely thread for me. My 6 year old Garmin won't install updated maps for Western Europe. But it will update 30Mb of system data.
I have decided to carry on in Spain & France with the Garmin but keep google maps handy as backup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back