Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Morning Funstars,

I am trying to buy a Toll Tag before our trip at the end of the month down to Italy through France & Switzerland. I want to get one which covers France, Spain, Portugal & Italy (as we are planning Spain & Portugal for next year) but am having snags with both the Bip & Go and Fulli websites. The Bip & Go just keeps saying my subscription has failed after I've entered all the details and with the Fulli site I cannot enter the country I live in as Great Britain, United Kingdom, England etc do not appear in the country drop down list. Has anyone else encountered these issues and managed to solve them?
REALLY frustrated with it all to be honest and am just about ready to admit defeat and have another round of watching Debi hang out of the window at the Peage's!!!
Grateful for any assistance anyone can provide.

Gaz

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Also with Fulli you’ll need something like Revolut or Starling Euro for payments. It’s the IBAN number on many traditional UK bank accounts that Fulli doesn’t like. They need to accept International transfers. Lloyds and Santander (ie mine) don’t work!

I use Revolut. Works really well for me.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Naturally subject to personal situation, we're retired so plenty of time to get from a to b.
Useful to have toll tag, just in case.
We set google maps/Tom Tom to avoid tolls and have had no issues getting to/from and around Portugal/Spain.
I believe you also see more of the countries when not using toll road (motorways).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I found Fulli easy - as Steve N Tracy said above, think French!

I then just put in the IBAN number for my Natwest account and everything worked perfectly. Used it in Italy and France March/April, and going to Spain/Portugal in autumn - never any problems and monthly invoice taken from bank account automatically.

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Many thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom, especially Steve n Tracy for pointing me to the correct French spelling of United Kingdom - I should've Googled it!! Luckily the Fulli site accepted the IBAN number too, so now just need to wait for delivery and then join the nervous first time user club when we get over there in a few weeks.
Happy and safe travels All 👍🏻👍🏻

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Many thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom, especially Steve n Tracy for pointing me to the correct French spelling of United Kingdom - I should've Googled it!! Luckily the Fulli site accepted the IBAN number too, so now just need to wait for delivery and then join the nervous first time user club when we get over there in a few weeks.
Happy and safe travels All 👍🏻👍🏻
Well done. Took about a week for my tag to come.

Next steps - have you got a Critair and Angles Mort stickers for France and your vignette for Switzerland?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just looking to see if any offers on at the moment for free delivery for Fulli. I think both carolyn and I signed up when an offer was on.
Couldn’t see one but did see that if one has a disability badge, the Fulli monthly charge free and I think it also implies tolls are free - well in France anyway.
Just smiffy

Having read what little there is on the subject it appears the tag is free but you still have to pay for the toll…

No use to me anyway as I don’t use tolls..

But thank you for thinking of me Annie…🙂

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Well done. Took about a week for my tag to come.

Next steps - have you got a Critair and Angles Mort stickers for France and your vignette for Switzerland?
Hi Brize,

Yes have got Critair stickers for France and Germany and the hideous Angles Morts, I’ve downloaded the Via app for Switzerland so will pay for the Swiss vignette using that.
Think the main thing I need to research now is the cost for going through the tunnel in Switzerland en-route to Lake Como.
Scrub the above - I’ve just looked and it’s seems the tunnel cost is include in the vignette!!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Gaz,

Which tunnel/route are you thinking of?

What is your starting point?

Where on Como are you going?

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020

Gaz,

Which tunnel/route are you thinking of?

What is your starting point?

Where on Como are you going?
Hi Brize,

We will be travelling from Colmar to a site called Camping La' Vedo which is nearly half way up the west coast of the lake.
Just searched the route on both Google Map and Via Michelin and both are routing through the Gotthard Tunnel, fingers crossed the traffic's not too bad the day we travel!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Brize,

We will be travelling from Colmar to a site called Camping La' Vedo which is nearly half way up the west coast of the lake.
Just searched the route on both Google Map and Via Michelin and both are routing through the Gotthard Tunnel, fingers crossed the traffic's not too bad the day we travel!
If you can then time it to go through on a Sunday. I could not believe the difference. Hardly any queue at all. The previous year it had taken over 2 hours which is pretty normal in Summer. Remember cliffanger ?

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hi Brize,

Morning Gaz N Debz,

You threw me with 'the cost of the tunnel'. I came down the route 2 in Switzerland a couple of months ago through the Gotthard, and there was no cost - it was included in the Swiss vignette.

I take it you are going to come off the 2 at Lugano (nice town to stop awhile) onto theSS340 to Menaggio. Be careful just before Porlezza, there is a very narrow 2-way tunnel (quite short), but tricky if there is anything big oncoming. You will enjoy the twisty decent into Menaggio, and the views going down are quite breathtaking.

Enjoy!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you can then time it to go through on a Sunday. I could not believe the difference. Hardly any queue at all. The previous year it had taken over 2 hours which is pretty normal in Summer. Remember cliffanger ?
We got caught twice! Once on our own and once with the Mousy s!

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Use this site to plan for the Gotthard traffic: https://www.gotthard-traffic.ch/forecasts?lan=en
If you do have to travel on a busy day, then either plan on a lengthy queue, or time it so you go through either early morning or late at night.

If you end up travelling at an unsociable hour, there's a good stop half an hour from the south portal at Rodi: https://maps.app.goo.gl/s3kJFVxdotbJ5UJG7 Can't remember how much it was, but we also saw people parking for free on the road at the back (between the sosta and the railway line).

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Has anyone used Eurotoll specifically intended for HGV's, it pretty much covers the whole of Europe, if your van is over 3.5 tonne or 3 mtrs high this might be an option.

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the heads up, we are due to travel through on Monday 1st July, hopefully early to mid morning - we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that it's not too bad! 🤞

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Use this site to plan for the Gotthard traffic: https://www.gotthard-traffic.ch/forecasts?lan=en
If you do have to travel on a busy day, then either plan on a lengthy queue, or time it so you go through either early morning or late at night.

If you end up travelling at an unsociable hour, there's a good stop half an hour from the south portal at Rodi: https://maps.app.goo.gl/s3kJFVxdotbJ5UJG7 Can't remember how much it was, but we also saw people parking for free on the road at the back (between the sosta and the railway line).
Thanks DangerMousy,

I'll save that to my favourites, although we're booked into the site for a 14:00 arrival so that pretty much dictates when we can attempt to travel - an early start looks like it is on the cards!

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Morning Gaz N Debz,

You threw me with 'the cost of the tunnel'. I came down the route 2 in Switzerland a couple of months ago through the Gotthard, and there was no cost - it was included in the Swiss vignette.

I take it you are going to come off the 2 at Lugano (nice town to stop awhile) onto theSS340 to Menaggio. Be careful just before Porlezza, there is a very narrow 2-way tunnel (quite short), but tricky if there is anything big oncoming. You will enjoy the twisty decent into Menaggio, and the views going down are quite breathtaking.

Enjoy!
Hi again Brize,

Many thanks for your words of wisdom 👍🏻. Really looking forward to the views - and the driving too.
Any advice for Austria? We are planning on travelling back up via Austria and Germany from Lake Garda.

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Has anyone used Eurotoll specifically intended for HGV's, it pretty much covers the whole of Europe, if your van is over 3.5 tonne or 3 mtrs high this might be an option.

Thanks ChrisL,

I did look at this site, but went for the Fulli tag in the end as it covers France, Spain, Portugal & Italy, and there is a special offer on at the moment so it's only cost €4.90

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Any advice for Austria? We are planning on travelling back up via Austria and Germany from Lake Garda
We've done that route several times... most recently southbound just over a week ago. It's a very easy journey on the Brenner motorway, though there are a lot of roadworks on the Italian side.

For Austria, the main thing to know is your weight. If you're 3.5t or under then you just need to stop and buy a vignette at one of the service stations before the border and you'll have to pay a special toll on the Austrian side just outside Innsbruck.

If you're over 3.5t then you'll need a Go Box....its a little more complicated, but not difficult.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks DangerMousy,

I'll save that to my favourites, although we're booked into the site for a 14:00 arrival so that pretty much dictates when we can attempt to travel - an early start looks like it is on the cards!
Did you have to specifiy an arrival time? I've never heard of a campsite like that....most of them you can arrive any time after 14h and before evening closing time.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hi again Brize,

Many thanks for your words of wisdom 👍🏻. Really looking forward to the views - and the driving too.
Any advice for Austria? We are planning on travelling back up via Austria and Germany from Lake Garda.

Hi,

Depends if you are stopping awhile or just going through Austria.

We mostly go through, Brenner Pass / A12 motorway / then up the 189 & 179 to Fussen area. Nice place Fussen, and you have Neuschwanstein, Garmish and Oberammergau all within striking distance. The 7 & 8 autobahns then take you up to Karlsruhe (Black Forest nearby, lovely walking), and from there you can cross into Metz/Nancy if you are heading back to France, or carry on with the 8 into Luxembourg and Belgium.

Just some thoughts. Have a good time - we are about to leave on Thursday for Scandinavia, so your weather will be better, but maybe our scenery will be more spectacular!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
We've done that route several times... most recently southbound just over a week ago. It's a very easy journey on the Brenner motorway, though there are a lot of roadworks on the Italian side.

For Austria, the main thing to know is your weight. If you're 3.5t or under then you just need to stop and buy a vignette at one of the service stations before the border and you'll have to pay a special toll on the Austrian side just outside Innsbruck.

If you're over 3.5t then you'll need a Go Box....its a little more complicated, but not difficult.
Thanks DangerMousy,

We're 4.25t so will have to go with the Go Box option, I'll look at the process required to get this.
With respect to the campsite, I think that maybe there was a bit of a breakdown in communication between English and Italian translation, I'm sure you are right in that check in is FROM 14:00. We will aim to be there for then though as we only have the one night there so we want to have a bit of a look around. Unfortunately we only have a 2 week break as we are both still working so have a quite a hectic schedule, the idea is to get a feel for Italy on this trip with a view to going back in the future at a much slower pace!

OP
OP
Gaz n Debz
Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Hi,

Depends if you are stopping awhile or just going through Austria.

We mostly go through, Brenner Pass / A12 motorway / then up the 189 & 179 to Fussen area. Nice place Fussen, and you have Neuschwanstein, Garmish and Oberammergau all within striking distance. The 7 & 8 autobahns then take you up to Karlsruhe (Black Forest nearby, lovely walking), and from there you can cross into Metz/Nancy if you are heading back to France, or carry on with the 8 into Luxembourg and Belgium.

Just some thoughts. Have a good time - we are about to leave on Thursday for Scandinavia, so your weather will be better, but maybe our scenery will be more spectacular!

Enjoy!
Hi,

We're undecided on whether to stop overnight (in / near Innsbruck) or carry straight on and go into Germany. Thanks for the German recommendations, I'll take a look - I would like to stop at the Bastogne military museum in Belgium which will take us through Luxembourg (and topping up with cheap(er) fuel!!) en-route.
Again thanks for your advice, always good to hear from people that have experience and can point us in the right direction. 👍🏻

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks DangerMousy,

We're 4.25t so will have to go with the Go Box option, I'll look at the process required to get this.
With respect to the campsite, I think that maybe there was a bit of a breakdown in communication between English and Italian translation, I'm sure you are right in that check in is FROM 14:00. We will aim to be there for then though as we only have the one night there so we want to have a bit of a look around. Unfortunately we only have a 2 week break as we are both still working so have a quite a hectic schedule, the idea is to get a feel for Italy on this trip with a view to going back in the future at a much slower pace!
We're also in the still-working-and-only-have-two-weeks club 😉 If you're willing to use motorways then northern Italy is well within reach. We're just on our way back from there. Our route was Nuremberg, Innsbruck, Lake Garda (Sirmione), Lake Maggiore (Arona), and now Alsace.

For the Go Box, you cab search for a retailer here: https://www.asfinag.at/en/toll/sales-outlets/ my main tip us to make sure you have all your paperwork ready (V5 and CoC are the important ones), and also make sure you also have scans of all of them as you'll have to email or upload them to ASFINAG.

The Go Box costs a few € and you'll have to top up with €75 credit. At first your Box will show an expiry date 2 years in the future, at which point you need to return it and get any remaining credit back. But (as we recently discovered) each time you top up it extends the lifetime for another 2 years from that date. Hope that makes sense 😉

If you decide not to stop in Innsbruck, just over the border is Garmisch Patenkirchen which makes a nice stop for a night or two.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We're just on our way back from Lake Garda (Sirmione),
Where did you stay at Sirmione please? Can you take bikes into the old town/city?

Thinking of visiting tomorrow and then onto Verona and Pisa ...

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Where did you stay at Sirmione please? Can you take bikes into the old town/city?

Thinking of visiting tomorrow and then onto Verona and Pisa ...
We stayed at Camping Village San Francesco (ACSI)....a nice campsite right on the lake, and cycled in.

There are 100s of bike racks just outside the old town and we've always parked up there. Some cars are allowed into the old town ZTL, so I guess bikes would also be allowed, but unless you were planning on using them to cycling out to the very end of the peninsula I wouldn't bother taking them in. Its very crowded so you'd have to push them and there's no bike racks inside the old town (that we saw anyway). We considered taking them with us, but decided they'd just get in the way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back