Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
For those who use Toll Tags on there Vans, bought my first Toll Tag today for Euroland Toll roads, had enough of getting over to the other side of the Van to pay tolls. I note in the 'placement' instructions it states for Campervans (MH's) it may not be read correctly if placed in the high position in then centre of the windscreen and that it can be placed lower down near the Dash?
So I ask what works well on your Vans?
Its a stick on and I can do without the bother of it not working correctly first time out this coming week.
Thanks

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Centre of windscreen high up works for us.
A class moho. I think the problem is for vans with overcab bed area coachbuilts, ie the bubble top i call them for want of the correct name. The overhang over the cab may block the signal .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have PVC put it by the mirror where there should be a dark patch. This patch is designed for tags. This works on our PVC.

Problems can arise with MHs with an overhanging bed over the cab.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
On our van conversion it is top centre just to left of the dotty bit (from inside) I don’t think it sticks too well to the dots.

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
Ours is Center top ish of windscreen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Also just got a tag,Fulli. Top centre of windscreen behind mirror is solid black rather than dots. Will this block signal?

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
From Emovis tag site.

Screenshot_20240821_081452_Chrome.jpg

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've always placed ours bottom centre of the windscreen and they've worked perfectly every time in France and Italy (on a low profile and two A Classs). I know its not where the instructions say to put it, but I guess it's roughly equivalent to where it would be (how high from the ground) if it was on a car so the sensors easily detect it.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
For those who use Toll Tags on there Vans, bought my first Toll Tag today for Euroland Toll roads, had enough of getting over to the other side of the Van to pay tolls. I note in the 'placement' instructions it states for Campervans (MH's) it may not be read correctly if placed in the high position in then centre of the windscreen and that it can be placed lower down near the Dash?
So I ask what works well on your Vans?
Its a stick on and I can do without the bother of it not working correctly first time out this coming week.
Thanks
Ours is in the shaded area next to the rear view mirror as per the mounting instructions and it works well in both France and Spain. It even worked on the M6 toll the other day, giving a "Tag not recognised" message whilst we were paying the exorbitant £16 demanded for a distance that in France would have been about €3 . . . .

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the reminder. We would have gone off with ours still in the glove compartment! Bit of a pain as I think I’m going to have to take it off every time we close the premise can blinds in this van. Very tight fit. Might just about do it but don’t want to risk the blinds.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the reminder. We would have gone off with ours still in the glove compartment! Bit of a pain as I think I’m going to have to take it off every time we close the premise can blinds in this van. Very tight fit. Might just about do it but don’t want to risk the blinds.
You don't actually need to stick it to the window - we found it also works perfectly well just laying in one of the indents on the front of the dashboard (the ones closest to the window). Means you can just leave it there and it doesn't get in the way of the blind. If you do this though, just make sure you put it the right way up.....if its upside down then it won't work ;)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Also just got a tag,Fulli. Top centre of windscreen behind mirror is solid black rather than dots. Will this block signal?
No.
If you read the instructions, that is where they want it fitted, as long as it's on the glass.

Basically where they want all these RDF tags fitted is what should be behind the windscreen mirror (if you had one), on what would normally be the driver side (if you were left hand drive).

The provisos' are of course most motorhomes don't have a windscreen mirror.
And most UK registered motorhomes are right hand drive.

The other big issue is those with Luton tops which overhang the top of the windscreen, which means that the scanner, mounted on a gantry over road, can not 'see' your tag.
In which case the best place is the bottom of the screen in the centre, just above the the wipers.

1724239782497.png

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Top centre, as most have said.

20 years with no problems.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
With reference to my question in post #8, the Fulli instructions show placement with dotted central section whereas my windscreen has a solid black panel as attached photo. Sorry it’s on its side. Fitted behind this the unit would be completely masked and I wondered if the signal would be blocked and dropping it to just below the panel is the best way forward

IMG_0332.jpeg

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
With reference to my question in post #8, the Fulli instructions show placement with dotted central section whereas my windscreen has a solid black panel as attached photo. Sorry it’s on its side. Fitted behind this the unit would be completely masked and I wondered if the signal would be blocked and dropping it to just below the panel is the best way forward

View attachment 938341

I have something very similar. I have put it just to the side (and near the top) of the black panel and it works fine.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Many thanks for that. Have a sort of fear of arriving at barrier and having machine say ‘no’ as happened to a friend with Epass. Fortunately the Danes are quite patient

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years

View attachment 938341
We put ours at the edge of the black panel left of the mirror. It works well but I did try just holding it in that position first just to be sure.

Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
From the Bip & Go instructions that came with ours:

If your vehicle has a windscreen with a black dotted area, which is not athermic, the badge must be positioned there to be detected. For optimum use of your electronic toll payment badge, it must be fitted to the windscreen.

I just asked the question 'What is Athermic?'
How can you tell if you have an athermic windscreen? There are various features by which you can recognise an athermic windscreen with the naked eye:
  • By the violet, blue or petrol blue reflection characteristic of this type of glass;
  • By noting the thermometer icon usually placed above the windscreen wiper, in a corner of the athermic windscreen;
  • By noting the dotted lines which indicate the untreated part of the athermic zone of the windscreen, through which radio waves and infrared can pass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back