Toilet Question from a newbie (sorry) (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
We've just had 2 days in our new MH to test everything. After reading all the toilet threads on here, we decided that we'd use bio wash liquid. However, the dealer had already 'helped' us out by putting most of the sample bottle of fluid in our loo.

So, do we just have to rinse that out & put the bio in, or do I have to add anything to actually try & wash the chemical out first. We have had one emptying session already 😷

Also, how much water goes in the cassette with the bio liquid after emptying?

Does everthing break down into a liquid? and how long does it take? (we're putting paper in a nappy bag & bin). just wondering how long after 💩 goes in, can the cassette be emptied in a liquid form.

Thanks all

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When you open the hatch to expose the hole in the cassette there is a visible square that protrudes from the bottom of the cassette. Do not fill with water above this square after washing out after emptying the cassette - about half an inch at the most.

You don't wait for it to break down! When the loo is full and the light comes on just go and empty it - a bit of a shake to loosen up the solids from the bottom will help as you tip it all away! Some bits are more reluctant to break down than others and that depends on what you eat, your digestive system etc. Lots will have broken down including paper. We do not separate paper - it all goes down into the cassette - far too complicated and messy trying to keep the paper separate IMHO!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just chuck out whatever’s in there, rinse and empty and that’s it. I don’t waste the space by adding any water. I add the wash tab and it gets broken down with the first piddle. Also, never flush after a tiddle, but just use a spray bottle with a mild solution of thetford loo cleaner or something and mist spray it after you pee. I use bowl liners for 💩 as they’ll slide down the hole and no skiddies to wipe.

As to the 💩 breaking down, it’ll depend on the 💩. If it’s soft and fluffy and like an instant whippy, it’ll break down really quick, but if it’s compacted like an Arnold Schwarzenegger bicep, then it’ll take a bit longer, in which case a good shake at the black water hole, should see it dislodged and free.

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_0167.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Empty when you get the opportunity.... If it's every day that isn't an issue, you'll soon work out when it's best to empty. Have a look at other threads on SOG ....

And NEVER, NEVER apologise for starting a toilet thread, sometimes we have to wait for days before one comes along ....

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
And don't forget to press the button to stop a vacuum being created when you empty out.
Make sure you have the tank tipped towards the drain before pressing the button, else wet smelly hand!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We have just converted to Solbio..
Excellent product..We empty loo when full, usually every 3rd day.. toilet paper (cheap tesco loo roll) goes in loo.
Turned to Liquid when we empty.... and we don't put water in at start.. or rinse when emptying, tip contents out and leave any remains to pre bacteria next lot..👍👍

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Empty when you get the opportunity.... If it's every day that isn't an issue, you'll soon work out when it's best to empty.

Don't know how old you are, or if you've got any health 'stuff' going on, but do not under-estimate the weight of a full cassette. Water weighs 1kg per litre . . .

I empty my loo every single day if I'm away not because it needs it but because if it is too heavy then my increasingly elderly body and not very strong back can really struggle to life the cassette and hold it at the right angle for emptying.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
A couple of rinses should suffice to clear out the chemicals.
For my part you are doing it right bagging the paper. You end up with just a slurry in the tank.
If the opportunity arises we empty every day and obviously you then use less additive.
Ps . Don’t expect sweetcorn to breakdown 😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
In Greece an Turkey last year we were told to bag the paper. I asked Nick if he wanted us to carry on doing that but he didn’t reckon it made any difference. We do use chemicals though. Currently on Green bags. Thetford. Have tried the bio liquids and didn’t get on with them despite diligently washing cassette first.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
We've just had 2 days in our new MH to test everything. After reading all the toilet threads on here, we decided that we'd use bio wash liquid. However, the dealer had already 'helped' us out by putting most of the sample bottle of fluid in our loo.

So, do we just have to rinse that out & put the bio in, or do I have to add anything to actually try & wash the chemical out first. We have had one emptying session already 😷

Also, how much water goes in the cassette with the bio liquid after emptying?

Does everthing break down into a liquid? and how long does it take? (we're putting paper in a nappy bag & bin). just wondering how long after 💩 goes in, can the cassette be emptied in a liquid form.

Thanks all
Wash the other stuff out. If it’s SolBio you only need 60ml - EDIT 40ml is enough - and no extra water. Just make sure to ‘swill’ the SolBio slowly around the whole inside. It really does work! No I have no loyalty to them except as a happy paying customer. We found it took a second thorough rinse to get rid of the Blue/Green stuff. Bag the paper - it just makes life a lot easier - but SolBio does chew it quite well.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Wash the other stuff out. If it’s SolBio you only need 60ml and no extra water. Just make sure to ‘swill’ the SolBio slowly around the whole inside. It really does work! No I have no loyalty to them except as a happy paying customer. We found it took a second thorough rinse to get rid of the Blue/Green stuff
Indeed.. when I converted to solbio i put a good dash in and filled with water then left 48hrs..
Rinsed out and repeated...
Incidentally they recommend 40ml/ 20 litre cassette... not 60ml👍👍

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Indeed.. when I converted to solbio i put a good dash in and filled with water then left 48hrs..
Rinsed out and repeated...
Incidentally they recommend 40ml/ 20 litre cassette... not 60ml👍👍
Actually poppycamper you are correct. I got carried away! No need to spend more than absolutely necessary. We had a Blue/Green period when the 6-monthly deep-clean out took a lot of work to get get rid of the ‘tide’ line and the **** in the over-complicated mechanism. 3 months of SolBio and the interior looks brand new! We have taken out the fiddly white float mechanism (just look down the bowl to judge when to empty) and we bag the paper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back