Toad Insurance (2 Viewers)

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
I have just bought a fiat 500 toed (lovely car off fellow funster)

Could you recommend insurance companies that will insure the toad with A frame fitted. My current insurer wants £150.00 to change without knowing about the frame.
According to the Compare the Meercat I can insure the car from £200.00

Recommendations will be appreciated :giggle:

Cheers Colin

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The third party risks will be covered by the towing vehicle but there is a big ? about whether they are covered comprehensively whilst being towed. I just live with that risk and don’t tow anything too expensive.

OP
OP
W
Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
The third party risks will be covered by the towing vehicle but there is a big ? about whether they are covered comprehensively whilst being towed. I just live with that risk and don’t tow anything too expensive.
Hi Pausim
You could have replied a bit quicker 5min's is too long to wait in this techie age we all inhabit :giggle:

Seriously though, thanks for the prompt reply, and yes I agree there is a ? the insurer will possibly use to get out of making a payment.
My question is about insuring the toed as my wifes daily runaround and having to declare the A frame as modification to the car

Cheers
Colin

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pausim
You could have replied a bit quicker 5min's is too long to wait in this techie age we all inhabit :giggle:

Seriously though, thanks for the prompt reply, and yes I agree there is a ? the insurer will possibly use to get out of making a payment.
My question is about insuring the toed as my wifes daily runaround and having to declare the A frame as modification to the car

Cheers
Colin
I told NFU about the modification but it shows up on the paperwork as a tow bar because they don’t have an A frame box to tick.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not to do with A frames but just a towbar on my car. Just renewed my policy and found now a lot of companies refuse to quote if you have any mods at all.
What was interesting going through a comparison site one of the cheaper companies gave a good price including the declared towbar. So I thought I would try a quote direct on the insurance companies site, refused to quote with any mods, so I took it out via the comparison site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pausim

Cheers
Colin
I have my motorhome and toad on a joint policy, saves a few quid but mostly because if something does go horribly wrong it is likely to be easier to resolve issues of liability.

Jul 2, 2023
Macclesfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
I have just bought a Smart Fortwo and had it adapted by TAF in chesterfield, I have told the car insurance company and they said it’s covered. However when I told caravan guard they said they do not accept a-frames, only trailers!! So now I’m not sure if I should try another company? Attached is the reply from them

IMG_6437.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have just bought a Smart Fortwo and had it adapted by TAF in chesterfield, I have told the car insurance company and they said it’s covered. However when I told caravan guard they said they do not accept a-frames, only trailers!! So now I’m not sure if I should try another company? Attached is the reply from them

View attachment 890125
Always a bit of a grey area. As long as the third party risks are covered it is best to assume that the car is not comprehensively covered whilst being towed.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Mrs O just renewed her car insurance for the VW Up toad. Best quote was from Admiral but before accepting she phoned for clarification on cover while being towed. As with most car insurers, Admiral doesn’t have an A-frame box to tick but only a ‘tow bar’ box. The person she spoke to had no idea what towing with an A-frame was so had to speak to someone else while Mrs O hung on. The answer came back that Admiral does not regard the A-frame as a ‘modification’ (despite the physical alterations to the car and the electronic braking system being carefully described to them). They said that the car will have the same comprehensive cover while being towed. The reply didn’t fill us with confidence so Mrs O made a note of the date and time of the conversation, which had been recorded ‘for training and monitoring purposes’.

The MH is insured with Comfort and I believe they once told Mrs O that the toad is covered TP only on their insurance. So the toad would appear to be doubly insured. I wonder what the implications of that might be at claim time?

It seems that motor insurers really do not understand toads and don’t have any clear internal guidance on covering them.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Correction on my last post. The company Mrs O insured with was Churchill, not Admiral. I wasn't able to edit that last post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Lv insured our aygo toad, after consulting with the underwriters they confirmed that it is classed as a trailer whilst hitched up to the van , no increase in premium

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back