To Victron XS or not to Votronic that is the question? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Im about to pull the trigger on a two Varta LA95's Lead acid to single Fogstar Dirft 230Ah LiFePO4 upgrade on my 2017 Fiat based Burstner Ixeo complete with a Votronic 12/12/30 B2B so I dont need to upgrade the existing EBL99K wiring but now thinking I should buy the new Victron XS and initally dial down its output until/if ever I can/might upgrade the wiring to cope with the extra current?
I would like to hear other members opinions if this is a good idea or should I stick to my original plan?
I understand that it would depend on how we use the motorhome but I do like to keep my options open for future changes because the wife changes her mind so often the more options the better.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Having replaced two such batteries for lithium and installed the same Votronic unit I see issues, but I do think the Victron looks very interesting. Funsters Roger Ivy at Offgrid Solutions offers 10% discount and the unit is discounted anyway for pre order.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry should have said no issues with what you propose but as above very interested in the new Victron unit.

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Having replaced two such batteries for lithium and installed the same Votronic unit I see issues, but I do think the Victron looks very interesting. Funsters Roger Ivy at Offgrid Solutions offers 10% discount and the unit is discounted anyway for pre order.
I am taking into account that the Victron is being discounted so its aproximately £100 more than the Votronic, just trying to justify the extra cost against the future proofing etc. I do have a Victron Smart Shunt in my present set up so the additional functionality of the Victron is a bonus.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you're talking about the existing wire from the starter battery to the EBL, it has a 50A fuse and would be perfectly capable of taking 40A or so as it is. So you could take advantage of the extra amps from the XS straightaway. Then upgrade the wire when you can. One possibility is to double up the wire, no need to scrap the old wire. It's the total wire cross-section that matters, it can be two separate wires next to each other.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I am taking into account that the Victron is being discounted so its aproximately £100 more than the Votronic, just trying to justify the extra cost against the future proofing etc. I do have a Victron Smart Shunt in my present set up so the additional functionality of the Victron is a bonus.
The Victron can form a bluetooth "smart network" with the shunt which is handy because it will share the leisure battery voltage and so take into account any voltage drop to provide an accurate charge profile without needing a sense wire, added to the opportunity to adjust the input/output to match your existing cables and being on the same app as the shunt it's a nice option. A no brainer if you also have Victron solar and other kit.....

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm in a similar boat. I've bought the Votronic 30A... but not yet fitted it. The Votronic just goes inline with the existing wiring because it's only 30A, so should be easy to fit.

I originally planned to get a smaller lithium battery. But I got carried away and squeezed a 280Ah FogStar under the seat. So 30A is a little weedy. And now Victron have brought out the 50A Orion XS, which would colour match all the rest of my blooo gizmos... But it will make the wiring more complicated. I've got no idea how to disable the 12v alternator feed into my Elekroblock.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've got no idea how to disable the 12v alternator feed into my Elekroblock.
Pull the 50 amp fuse by the starter battery.
If only using a 30 amp B2B disconnect the input from the starter battery at the back of the EBL then you can use that cable for the input to the B2B.
The output of the B2B you have two choices either straight to the leisure battery or you can connect it to the starter battery input on the EBL. I prefer to bypass the EBL.

OP
OP
Reboot
Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
The D+ is separate. It presently feeds the EBL so Im planning to connect it to the XS in the same manner as I planned to do it to the Votronic. The only difference would be to dial down the Victron output so it doesn't over load the existing cables until I get around to upgrading them. I would be happy with 40 amps of charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
We have a non smart alternator, normally shows a 14.2 output once the starter batt is back up to full. Our standard fit cables are 16mm², but the run is around 8.5m, and with the current Orion we see about 0.9v drop on the input side, meaning the B2B gets 13.3ish when on full chat.

I'm going to set the XS up using the existing 16mm² cables (because I can't change them just yet) which has a 50amp fuse, doing a bit of maths if I set the input to 40amps and absorbtion charge to 14.2v (cant go lower want to ensure cell balance) I will get 35.2 amps, with the input set to 45amps (which may mean a warm fuse if not changed) I should get 39amps out, and at 50 amps (definitely need a new fuse!) I will get around 43amps out.

That'll do until I'm fit enough to grovel around changing the cable

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I ordered mine from Offgridpowersolutions this morning and it was £273.09 including p&p with the Funster discount.
I ordered one also mate. A dam good price. Have you seen what others are wanting for it 😳👍 a big thanks to Lenny HB For all the questions I have asked him and he pointed me on this direction. Thanks lenny. . 🌟

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Could anyone PM the code for Offgrid Power Solutions please as I've been to discount page but can't find any code

Many thanks for replies
Go to the Offgrid Power Solutions website and click on the line at the top of the page to get your unique Funster code.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back