To buy or not to buy (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
This is all new to us but very exciting. My wife and I have just decided on and agreed to buy a Mercedes auto trail Mohican , 2002 plate. Auto, 68k on clock. Just trying to get some extra advice regarding any experiences with this vehicle … thank you in advance.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Whilst you are correct, that’s only a consideration IF you can afford or can justify the expense of a 2016 or newer van. Others, like me, may have to accept some restrictions on ability to drive into urban centres and plan accordingly
I understand that, I was only making him aware of an issue which could affect him in many different ways.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
This is all new to us but very exciting. My wife and I have just decided on and agreed to buy a Mercedes auto trail Mohican , 2002 plate. Auto, 68k on clock. Just trying to get some extra advice regarding any experiences with this vehicle … thank you in advance.
We have a 2003 Burstner, we have never had any problem getting insurance or travelling anywhere. You do need to check whether you will be liable for congestion charges in some places.
The biggest issue will be does a 20+ year old van have any rust issues. Commercial vans are designed to do high miles in relatively short periods of time before ending their working lives.
Motorhomes tend to function in the opposite direction. Relatively low mileage over longer periods.
We looked at several mohos before buying the least rusty ones each time.
You'd be surprised how bad they can get and how shameless the owners are charging 'market' price for something with several £££s of welding in the not too distant future.
Also check in with owners of the same make or model. Some brands tend to have specific problems, others are built to a price. There is sooo much to learn at the start but as long as you are happy with your purchase it doesn't really matter what others think.

Reactions: CJK
Upvote 0
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
We recently sold our 22 year old cheyenne and as regards rust was ok but a lot of damp was starting to appear in "hidden" places like behind the oven and the toilet. We'd never really noticed it till the dealer we sold it too pointed it out. Worth getting a damp meter if you buying one that old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Thanks all for your input- all very helpful
and appreciated.
I took the plunge and bought my first MH/she’s orite to be fair.
Steve, the seller/ nice chap- , looked after the merc Mohican as far as the eye can see.
I’d organised a HAB CHECK which thankfully came up clean.
Couple of hundred miles from hove to Cardiff, she didn’t miss a beat.
I think my wife,my three year old and my 5 year old are going to be very happy with our new addition to the family.
We drove up in our old ish 59 plate xc90 and the MH probably drank less juice - that was a pleasant surprise.
Anyhow, thankyou all again.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thanks all for your input- all very helpful
and appreciated.
I took the plunge and bought my first MH/she’s orite to be fair.
Steve, the seller/ nice chap- , looked after the merc Mohican as far as the eye can see.
I’d organised a HAB CHECK which thankfully came up clean.
Couple of hundred miles from hove to Cardiff, she didn’t miss a beat.
I think my wife,my three year old and my 5 year old are going to be very happy with our new addition to the family.
We drove up in our old ish 59 plate xc90 and the MH probably drank less juice - that was a pleasant surprise.
Anyhow, thankyou all again.
So where are you going on the weekend ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
I’m really open to some suggestions/not too far to start off- apparently there’s lots of lovely sites in our native wales but I’m happy to venture across the bridge.
Everyone Barr none has said it’s a life changer and how thoroughly we will enjoy M HOMING.
I think having you guys for guidance and advise gives me confidence .
Cheers all.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Whilst you are correct, that’s only a consideration IF you can afford or can justify the expense of a 2016 or newer van. Others, like me, may have to accept some restrictions on ability to drive into urban centres and plan accordingly
It depends how deep your pockets are. Theres another thread where a secondhand older motorhome is the same price as a cheaper new one also a lot buy older secondhand motorhomes when they could buy a smaller 2016 on one. It's going to depend on how much you value a well known posh make older van with more space and payload over a newer smaller more basic one. As more emissions zones set up it could well be one choice becomes more popular.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Can you spend a night in your own drive to make sure you can set it all up and get everything to work ...

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I’m really open to some suggestions/not too far to start off- apparently there’s lots of lovely sites in our native wales but I’m happy to venture across the bridge.
Everyone Barr none has said it’s a life changer and how thoroughly we will enjoy M HOMING.
I think having you guys for guidance and advise gives me confidence .
Cheers all.
This is a nice site especially for the kids vertually on the beach with a decent pub opposite and you can walk round to Saundersfoot. Or plenty of nice sites around the Gower.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
From Cardiff there are lots of places to go within an hours easy drive. Lots around Monmouth and the forest of Dean, also both Ross on wye rowing club and Hereford rowing club have camping fields. Also recommended are the Caravan and Camping Club weekend and temporary holiday sites (usually somewhere local most weekends) which you can use at very little cost if you join.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
It depends how deep your pockets are. Theres another thread where a secondhand older motorhome is the same price as a cheaper new one also a lot buy older secondhand motorhomes when they could buy a smaller 2016 on one. It's going to depend on how much you value a well known posh make older van with more space and payload over a newer smaller more basic one. As more emissions zones set up it could well be one choice becomes more popular.
I’m in the older camp through necessity. We spend all of our time away on the continent and there are a large number of older motorhomes about. I’m banking on the French Campingcaristas getting exemptions when the time comes. They have a much stronger voice with their government than we do in the UK!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
From Cardiff there are lots of places to go within an hours easy drive. Lots around Monmouth and the forest of Dean, also both Ross on wye rowing club and Hereford rowing club have camping fields. Also recommended are the Caravan and Camping Club weekend and temporary holiday sites (usually somewhere local most weekends) which you can use at very little cost if you join.
Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Yes lorger, that’s helpful and gives me some positive news with regards to the gear box .
Unfortunately I may have opened up a can of very large worms-let me explain.
Besides the worrying comments with respect to the sprintshift,I thought I’d ask a young ish merc machinic that I know about the Mercedes part of the Mohican , lots of rust and suffers from the Black Death ,injector problems according to him.
I’m really less than a novice all things MH and quite and dare I say it/ not put off with most things but this is doing my swede(head)in!
🥵🥵
The 316cdi is an awesome engine in these👌🏻
We had a sprinter based van many moons ago and other than rust on the body due to thin paint, it was one of our favs. It had done over 200k when we sold it and never missed a beat.
I see you’ve bought it now, looks great value - enjoy👍🏻

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Very kiddie friendly and they do some good offers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Great idea MR B, unfortunately we don’t have our own drive, but our intentions are to do exactly wot you’ve suggested-don’t want to look like a complete idiot on our maiden outing.
Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
The 316cdi is an awesome engine in these👌🏻
We had a sprinter based van many moons ago and other than rust on the body due to thin paint, it was one of our favs. It had done over 200k when we sold it and never missed a beat.
I see you’ve bought it now, looks great value - enjoy👍🏻
Yes Sidders,we’ve taken the plunge at middle age/ hope it’s not a crisis!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Yes Sidders,we’ve taken the plunge at middle age/ hope it’s not a crisis!
She’s done 68k, mint condition inside, no signs of rust anywhere,colour of upholstery not my bag but not the end of the world,will change bits and pieces on inside like the faded gold cupboardpush button catches, and the gold light fittings.
Everything else seems good- I reckon 3/5 years and we will upgrade, perhaps.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
She’s done 68k, mint condition inside, no signs of rust anywhere,colour of upholstery not my bag but not the end of the world,will change bits and pieces on inside like the faded gold cupboardpush button catches, and the gold light fittings.
Everything else seems good- I reckon 3/5 years and we will upgrade, perhaps.
Sounds and looks a good un…..and they drive fantastic, which lets face it is meant to be part of the fun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Very kiddie friendly and they do some good offers
Thankyou/ just the ticket!

Upvote 0

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
Bit worrying re emissions-and associated restrictions that may happen.
Haven’t actually purchased the 2002 merc Mohican as yet, only put down a deposit pending a habitation report.
I’m not sure where to go with this now/ the emissions and inability to resell and the nightmare sprintshift gearbox everyone is complaining about.
Its not even 6am, I should be sleeping but guess wot!
🥵🥵
You need to pass the sleep test to know it’s right.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sajad

Congrats on your purchase, I didn’t see the thread while you were still considering so didn’t share your anxst 🤔🙏

I didn’t see an answer to the C1 queries and really hope you haven’t overlooked it , with young children you are likely to be too young to get the C1 entitlement that us oldies have, you definitely need it to drive it legally due to weight

Hope you have that covered and enjoy your new found family adventures , both of my daughters have done the same thing, but stayed smaller 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
You need to pass the sleep test to know it’s right.
That may be happening this weekend- fingers crossed !!
Wife is threatening to follow in car/ she really struggles to sleep away from her bed!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
sajad

Congrats on your purchase, I didn’t see the thread while you were still considering so didn’t share your anxst 🤔🙏

I didn’t see an answer to the C1 queries and really hope you haven’t overlooked it , with young children you are likely to be too young to get the C1 entitlement that us oldies have, you definitely need it to drive it legally due to weight

Hope you have that covered and enjoy your new found family adventures , both of my daughters have done the same thing, but stayed smaller 👍
Yes David/good point -for better or worse I’ve had two amazing boys later on in life , my only two I hasten to add- 3 and 5 years of age, so the C1 is covered but thankyou.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
The benefit of the Motorhome for your wife is that it will be her bed! She can have it just how she likes it, & it will always be the same for her! I sleep as well in my bed in the van as I do at home!

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Join the caravan and motorhome club, their certified locations (small independent sites) are quote a bit cheaper, around £25 per night instead of £40 or £50(!)
Congrats on your purchase, hope you have lots of fun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
The benefit of the Motorhome for your wife is that it will be her bed! She can have it just how she likes it, & it will always be the same for her! I sleep as well in my bed in the van as I do at home!
Cheers stonemags-that’s reassuring

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Join the caravan and motorhome club, their certified locations (small independent sites) are quote a bit cheaper, around £25 per night instead of £40 or £50(!)
Congrats on your purchase, hope you have lots of fun.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back