Tips for preventing condensation in a motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
This morning my campervan had loads of condensation in the windows. I'm sure there must be loads of ways of managing this. I don't store it with hook up so I can't run a dehumidifier. What else can I do?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO the ventilation is not circulating therefore the damp can settle in pockets not reached by the direct vent, just saying.
That would depend on the construction of the van, in ours all the lockers are spaced off the wall, there are vents to allow air circulation between the hab area and the double floor & garage so not a problem.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
£34.99 in Lidls from Sunday 19th November.
Bought our beldray version from Robert Dyas for £19.99, curved windscreeen presents a minor challenge but effective reliable device. Excellent battery life in the cupboard. Seems much better value than karcher

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Rapido
Exp
since 2018
This morning my campervan had loads of condensation in the windows. I'm sure there must be loads of ways of managing this. I don't store it with hook up so I can't run a dehumidifier. What else can I do?
Hi Gavin,
We use dishwasher salt in Tupperware containers, we use about 5 to take out the condensation out of our MoHo it works really well. When they get water in the bottom and the salt gets moist in the containers we tip the salt out into an oven dish put them in the oven when cooking to dry out then reuse. We have done this for 4 years with no problems. Put new salt in this winter, a cheap way of keeping the MoHo dry. I hope that helps. regards,
Crazygran dad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Interesting to see how many ideas there are. I have an extractor fan in the ceiling, which is on every morning, when I use the van. Even with natural ventilation this helps a lot. Also dehumidifiers are a great help. You can buy small ones from Robert Days. When not using the van make sure it is emptied for anything that can attract humidity, such as clothes.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I recently bought a small compressor dehumidifier for the shed, it's compact and is only about 100w
Screenshot_20231126_100517_Opera.jpg

It really works keeping the condensation off the bikes, you can see it switching on and off on the graph..

Screenshot_20231126_122937_Sensor Blue.jpg

I've sealed the shed up as much as possible, as I don't want to dehumidify Derbyshire 😊 with the van it will only lower the humidity to the same level as outside unless you can close all the vents and gas drop outs

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The opposite doesn't seem to reliably happen as evidenced by condensation which stays on the inside of windscreens even as things dry out outside?

For condensation to occur you need two things:
  1. moisture in the air
  2. a cold surface onto which the moisture can condense
The only way that you’d get condensation on the outside of the window would be if you were able to refrigerate the interior of the MH to such an extent that the windscreen ended up cooler than the external ambient air temperature.

This is what’s happening when you get condensation on the outside of (around the door seals typically) a fridge/freezer.

Ian

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
There is absolutely no point in putting dehumidifiers, salt, or rice in a Motorhome or caravan.
Motorhomes & caravans have perminant ventilation, what's the point of trying to dry out the atmosphere.
This is why MHome fun, is so fun😁😁😁🙈. Every Everyone offers all their advice and your left pulling your hair out😭😀😀😀😀 wondering which way to go.

I have up until now, when parked up at home, never used anything, 4 yrs and Hab checks been good. Management keeps advising me to put heating on because MHomes cold but I think that's OK.

Did worry the other day bit of condensation on a mirror so I've opened up for a bit of ventilation. The atmosphere has been extremely damp just lately.

I tend to leave thermostat on 10 degrees just in case and would have difficulty in persuading management to go any lower.

Do you leave your thermostat at a low temperature Lenny HB just in case?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There is absolutely no point in putting dehumidifiers, salt, or rice in a Motorhome or caravan.
Motorhomes & caravans have perminant ventilation, what's the point of trying to dry out the atmosphere.
Oh come on where is the fun in that........many of us also like to boil the ocean ;)

Upvote 1

Gyro

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleep KemertonXL
Exp
since 2003
For condensation to occur you need two things:
  1. moisture in the air
  2. a cold surface onto which the moisture can condense
The only way that you’d get condensation on the outside of the window would be if you were able to refrigerate the interior of the MH to such an extent that the windscreen ended up cooler than the external ambient air temperature.

This is what’s happening when you get condensation on the outside of (around the door seals typically) a fridge/freezer.

Ian
Why then condensation on the outside of our double glazing when toasty inside? (Rhetorical)

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
If you get condensation, you get condensation so you have to try combat it. If somebody shares they experience of not having condensation but believes it doesn't exist in everyone else's van, well ignore and deal with your own real condensation. Condensation is real and if it doesn't happen in your van well goody you, but don't preach it doesn't happen in other people's van.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I recently bought a small compressor dehumidifier for the shed, it's compact and is only about 100w
View attachment 837860

It really works keeping the condensation off the bikes, you can see it switching on and off on the graph..

View attachment 837861

I've sealed the shed up as much as possible, as I don't want to dehumidify Derbyshire 😊 with the van it will only lower the humidity to the same level as outside unless you can close all the vents and gas drop outs
Looks to me like it's reducing the humidity from 62 to 58% but as soon as it's off the humidity rises again. I'm not sure if that's a big enough effect to actually acheive much.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Looks to me like it's reducing the humidity from 62 to 58% but as soon as it's off the humidity rises again. I'm not sure if that's a big enough effect to actually acheive much.
Yeah, actually I should have said that graph is from a little Bluetooth gadget in the shed that is probably not very accurate but shows the up down trend. The dehumidifier's tank does need emptying about every week though so it works.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Perhaps a dealer might be able to advise as to how they winterise the fleets of vans on their forecourts?
I'd be doubtful if it involved anything other than perhaps opening a door on a dry sunny day, and even that's unlikely.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yeah, actually I should have said that graph is from a little Bluetooth gadget in the shed that is probably not very accurate but shows the up down trend. The dehumidifier's tank does need emptying about every week though so it works.
But does it? It works in getting moisture out of the air in the shed but is there a reduction in the moisture enough to reduce any effect and is the moisture just being replaced constantly from equalising with the atmosphere outside the shed.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
But does it? It works in getting moisture out of the air in the shed but is there a reduction in the moisture enough to reduce any effect and is the moisture just being replaced constantly from equalising with the atmosphere outside the shed.
If it's any help, ;) it's dry today here in Surrey. ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
As I said, I've sealed the shed up as much as possible, it's not air tight of course but the new air entering is kept to a minimum. The dehumidifier is 100w so 10 times more economical than a heater.

When I go in I feel the engine sump for moisture and it's always dry now, the engine sump is the second coldest peace after the dehumidifier's evaporator 😎✌️

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I leave the roof vent in the shower area open and prop the door open. (Any rain that bounces in drops into the shower tray). That, plus the front heater and 'fridge vents keep the air moving enough to keep the inside /outside temperatures the same, so no condensation. If you've been working inside with a heater on, open all the doors and let the heat out before you close up.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Perhaps a dealer might be able to advise as to how they winterise the fleets of vans on their forecourts?
I'd be doubtful if it involved anything other than perhaps opening a door on a dry sunny day, and even that's unlikely.
Mike.
Which, as long as no one is breathing and there are no water leaks is not a problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Which, as long as no one is breathing and there are no water leaks is not a problem.
Are we discussing the same topic? An occupied motorhome will almost certainly need proactive measures, but an unoccupied motorhome shouldn't need any special measures, the essential requirements have been built in at the construction phase, roof vents, spaces behind cupboards, et al.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
We've used the Karcher Vac since day one, however since fitting the expernal reflective Windscrren/Side side window cover, the problem as all but gone away. Keeps the ice off too :)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Are we discussing the same topic? An occupied motorhome will almost certainly need proactive measures, but an unoccupied motorhome shouldn't need any special measures, the essential requirements have been built in at the construction phase, roof vents, spaces behind cupboards, et al.
Mike.
Yes

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mike.
You would hope so. Certainly a good idea to remove cushions etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back