Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
20240902_103425.jpg

I had a slight leak from the open/close knob last time out, so time to do a service and hopefully sort it out

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I cleaned the mechanism and replaced the blade and the main seal but the blade opener is still leaking. I've ordered a new one for £13 :eek: if I didn't already have the other parts it would have been cheaper to replace the whole mechanism. I only need the seal from the opener but that's not available seperatly. Rip off Britten again :cry:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
pssssssssssssssssssssssst!

Replaced the lip seal on ours a few months ago, dead easy job once you get the top off. Insufficient leverage using the "reversed" sliding cover so used a longer scrap of 8mm timber with the same width.(y)

Once you've cleaned it out, fitted the new bits, etc take it apart again and remove the screwdriver you left inside that's rattling about!:doh:

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had to use a length of wood to take it apart and to put it back together. I wonder how I would manage on site, after having a cassette fail in the past I keep a new mechanism in my spares kit, with the one I had before the top would come off using the slider for leverage. I used plenty of silicone grease on the seal but it was still not going back without some force. I'm wondering if I should put the 18 inch piece of wood in my toolkit. 😀😀

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I cleaned the mechanism and replaced the blade and the main seal but the blade opener is still leaking. I've ordered a new one for £13 :eek: if I didn't already have the other parts it would have been cheaper to replace the whole mechanism. I only need the seal from the opener but that's not available seperatly. Rip off Britten again :cry:
Not sure you can lay the blame on Rip off Britain, I don’t think Thetford is a UK Company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can get all the bits separately.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The part arrived yesterday but it was pissing down and as I test it by filling up with the garden tap I left it. Today it's still pissing down but, Mrs. Odd has gone to Ireland so I replaced the seal and filled it up to test in the utility room sink, I'm sure Mrs. Odd wouldn't be happy with that but she's not here ☺️☺️☺️ I filled it to almost the top and it doesn't leak. But I'm not telling Mrs. Odd how I tested it 😀😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The part arrived yesterday but it was pissing down and as I test it by filling up with the garden tap I left it. Today it's still pissing down but, Mrs. Odd has gone to Ireland so I replaced the seal and filled it up to test in the utility room sink, I'm sure Mrs. Odd wouldn't be happy with that but she's not here ☺️☺️☺️ I filled it to almost the top and it doesn't leak. But I'm not telling Mrs. Odd how I tested it 😀😀
Don't worry, she'll know on her return that you used the sink!:Eeek:

They always do! Plug left in the wrong place, if it's a swivel tap it's not lined up correctly, you forgot to put the basin back, etc!:doh:

No need to get back to confirm as we'll be able to tell when you're forced to change your name to Shoddy job!:giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back