Thule Electric step problem

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
In my rush to get away, I didn't allow the electric step to fully open. When I stepped on it I heard a bang and now the step won't retract. Any ideas? We are now sitting in Canterbury Aire before we travel on Eurotunnel tomorrow. The step is tied up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
In my rush to get away, I didn't allow the electric step to fully open. When I stepped on it I heard a bang and now the step won't retract. Any ideas? We are now sitting in Canterbury Aire before we travel on Eurotunnel tomorrow. The step is tied up.

You have probably ripped a lot of teeth off the plastic gears on the motor or broken the motor driveshaft, been there, done it.
If you fancy pulling off the motor and opening up the gearbox cover and find broken teeth, then you may find that you can move the larger gear around a few degrees to section without the stripped teeth to get you by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MickandHelen
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
You have probably ripped a lot of teeth off the plastic gears on the motor or broken the motor driveshaft, been there, done it.
If you fancy pulling off the motor and opening up the gearbox cover and find broken teeth, then you may find that you can move the larger gear around a few degrees to section without the stripped teeth to get you by.
Thanks, I think there might be a bit more damage than that. When I press the button I can only hear the whine of the motor, nothing else - no sound of any crashing or banging. Do you know if you can get the parts?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, I think there might be a bit more damage than that. When I press the button I can only hear the whine of the motor, nothing else - no sound of any crashing or banging. Do you know if you can get the parts?

I found that a Bosch headlamp levelling motor and the Thule motor for the step are one and the same thing with the same part number on the motor, but £100 cheap that the Thule price.
I bought a Bosch unit from eBay which fits and works just as the original Thule one did. £38 on eBay.

If it's the drive shaft then,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
Maybe a quick drive to B&Q, Screwfix or Toolstation in Canterbury to buy a folding step would be your best option at present.
We do have a plastic step as a spare as Wifey is vertically challenged and sometimes we need both. I have attached some cord so we can raise and lower it like a drawbridge. One stop we intend has a camper place next door, we will see if they can help but they haven't been that helpful in the past. Am sure we'll manage.

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
I found that a Bosch headlamp levelling motor and the Thule motor for the step are one and the same thing with the same part number on the motor, but £100 cheap that the Thule price.
I bought a Bosch unit from eBay which fits and works just as the original Thule one did. £38 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Brilliant thanks for your help.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Try calling Steve at Weald of Kent caravan services (. Google number) he is mobile and very inexpensive. Tell him the problem. If he can help he will, he's based not too far from Canterbury.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back