Thule 12v Step "Chattering" (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
Since 2021
Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been posted before.

We have 2014 Auto Sleeper Stanton

(Nuevo on a Mercedes Sprinter) fitted with a Thule 12v step, operated by a push button. It auto retracts when you start the engine, and there is an alarm that sounds when this happens, which suggests it has the relay fitted for this purpose.

Recently it has developed a "chatter" at the end of each stroke (see video) but otherwise seems to work ok.

The other day when I started the engine with the step retracted, and the van in every other sense ready for the road, the step started chattering and the alarm sounded, suggesting the step was extended when it definitely wasn't. I silenced the alarm but had to turn the engine off and restart it to clear the fault.

Any ideas anyone? I feel it could be the relay as everything else looks fine, but where have Auto-Sleeper fitted the relay? That is one of life's mysteries I need to solvešŸ˜„

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If your Autosleeper has a Sargent habitation PSU system there could be a Sargent separate EM50 interface fuse/relay box fitted which controls the step operation (along with other items) and it could be the cause of your problem , if the step linkages etc are ok .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smallfluffydog
Jun 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
Since 2021
If your Autosleeper has a Sargent habitation PSU system there could be a Sargent separate EM50 interface fuse/relay box fitted which controls the step operation (along with other items) and it could be the cause of your problem , if the step linkages etc are ok .
Thanks. There is an EM50 fitted to the van. What am I looking for in terms of a fault and/or what action do I need to take please?

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You could try checking the connections on the rear of the EM50 but It would also be worth talking to Sargent technical as they are normally very helpful and should be able to advise you if the EM 50 could be causing the fault and if it needs replacing/repairing www.sargentltd.co.uk 01482 678981

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back