Three questions about GO box for Austria (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Seems like a terrible faff to negotiate the GO box system. How much do they cost and is there money back when you leave Austria and hand it back? Secondly, where do I find a reliable map that shows what routes are chargeable? Last, we are 3850 kg GVW. Do we need the box regardless of what routes we use? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’m 7.5t and used this website:

Completed the pdf for motorhome and took it along with relevant documents to a go-box outlet just as we entered Austria and all was completed and box given and not been a problem at all. I use my Revolut account to settle the bills.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
It’s expensive too and we had to send them a letter from Fiat confirming our Euro emissions class, which cost us about £35. Otherwise they said they would fine us. Maybe the system has changed now, but we’ll never find out. Switzerland is mush easier and cheaper if you’re just transiting through

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They are a real pita.
You load the thing with credit and get a refund on leaving for any balance remaining.
In Austria motorways signs are green, A roads are blue so a reverse of what we're used to. I think you need the gobox for the green signed roads.
I think you can go and plan to use just the blue routes but some have been directed onto green routes, motorways, by police and then fined for not having the box.
This may happen more often if snow blocks some routes ? so in summer you should be ok.
If I go Austria again I think I'd take and chance and not get one, just stick to side roads and hope for the best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We give Austria a wide berth, we once travelled along the free roads to avoid getting a Go box for the 12 kilometres section from Switzerland to Germany and it was a pain in the BS. This used to be free.
Later we went from Slovakia to Germany which was interesting but we couldn't work out if we needed to prepay the tunnels or if they were paid on entry so we avoided them resulting in some steep mountain roads.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I’m 7.5t and used this website:

Completed the pdf for motorhome and took it along with relevant documents to a go-box outlet just as we entered Austria and all was completed and box given and not been a problem at all. I use my Revolut account to settle the bills.
How much did the box cost?

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
It’s expensive too and we had to send them a letter from Fiat confirming our Euro emissions class, which cost us about £35. Otherwise they said they would fine us. Maybe the system has changed now, but we’ll never find out. Switzerland is mush easier and cheaper if you’re just transiting through
£35 for a day transit?

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I wouldn't bother personally. We mainly avoided the motorways to enjoy the scenery and only used them for a couple of short links late in the day. We were over 3.5T but not immediately obvious from the look of the vehicle.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I wouldn't bother personally. We mainly avoided the motorways to enjoy the scenery and only used them for a couple of short links late in the day. We were over 3.5T but not immediately obvious from the look of the vehicle.
Happy to avoid motorways but not sure if our route is doable that way. Is it the A numbered roads that are motorways? And what about expressways?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
How much did the box cost?
Can’t remember, think it may have been something like €10 for the deposit and nothing else as they bill you monthly if used, was very easy and I prefer to have the box rather than worrying what if’s

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Can’t remember, think it may have been something like €10 for the deposit and nothing else as they bill you monthly if used, was very easy and I prefer to have the box rather than worrying what if’s
Was it easy to return the box and get the deposit back?

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
its not, it covers any 10 days however you use them up to a year so you can use it both ways and even for a second trip if it works
If you're only there for 1 day, it's still £35......

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
On leaving Vienna, I took the side roads and couldn't find anywhere to return the gobox :mad:
I ended up bringing it home then posting it back.
Eventually I got a refund, about 3 euro 🤬🤬🤬

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you're only there for 1 day, it's still £35......
How are you getting back then?

I'm pretty sure Gobox will cost more and you DO need to take something with your emissions class on it or theyvwill fine you as well . For whatever reason they're not happyvwith the V5.

There are a few go box related threads on here with the routes taken to avoid motorways. I've been though by Innsbruck onto the brenner pass, from trieste to Munich via plockenpass and Grossglockner ( tolled but easy without gobox)

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Been through Austria a number of times but only once using the Go Box toll roads. That was with a tag axle Burstner and it worked out very expensive.
I loaded it with god knows how many euros, as we got nearer to where we were going it started bleeping like mad and kept doing so. Think I probably went over our prepaid credit but it wasn’t getting anymore.
Seem to remember it accidentally ended up in a river never to be seen or heard again.

Always stick to the “A” roads after that and never had a problem.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
£35 for a day transit?
No. The charges are in the photo below. £25 or so for a one day transit or £31 or so for 10 days in a year. I think you’ll find that Austria at around 1 euro per 4km, plus the go box is a tad more expensive and you need to prove your emissions. Also the Austrian traffic police are very keen on checking you’ve got the correct vignette or go box, particularly at service stations.
6A74F841-6347-49EB-A0B8-F349BFC9D3DC.png

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've used the Go Box for the past seven years.
Not too much of a hassle
Take proof of euro status to the office - they are well signed in German autobahn service stations as you approach Austria.
Prepay around 150 euros (Would get you East to West easily in Austria).
The toothless east European lady had trouble with my address being just a house name, no number, no street name.
Follow the instructions.
I keep mine for the next ski trip.
nearly caught out by C19 as they have a two year life span - reentered with a few weeks to spare.
This year they swapped for a new smaller box (no extra charge).

ping ping ping

Might not use for summer trip, but winter ski trip Autobahns suit better.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
No. The charges are in the photo below. £25 or so for a one day transit or £31 or so for 10 days in a year. I think you’ll find that Austria at around 1 euro per 4km, plus the go box is a tad more expensive and you need to prove your emissions. Also the Austrian traffic police are very keen on checking you’ve got the correct vignette or go box, particularly at service stations. View attachment 731502
Quite.

I find It ironic that sub 3500kgs costs more on the same basis but hey Ive never worked out Austrian logic :unsure:

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
What a shambles! If they want our money, why don't they make it simple. (Talking about Austria). Stuff it. I'll just keep off the motorways. I think it should be easy with the route I intend.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We went Salzburg to Slovenia non toll in our 7.5t van and it was a lovely drive up over the mountains😁
There was some big hills that made the van grunt a bit but worth it.
Still snow at the top of the mountain ski resorts🥶🥶

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What a shambles! If they want our money, why don't they make it simple. (Talking about Austria). Stuff it. I'll just keep off the motorways. I think it should be easy with the route I intend.
They dont. There are always threads complaining about go box. So I emailed the Austrrian tourist board and suggested that maybe they should treat motorhomes differently to trucks as it was having a detrimental effectvon tourism?

Their response was a link to the toll people. :banghead:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back