This is the device that might persuade me back to Apple. (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Didn't the propensity for the scams of "Rich Nigerian Prince needs your help to cash a cheque, etc" come about from some charity asking for "unwanted" pc's and laptops a few years back, to go to educate children in Nigeria and led to more nefarious uses ?
It probably did but the equipment we sent out was forensically wiped reformatted and prepared. Then handed directly to the wildlife rangers personally

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett Karl do you not worry about the locked down ecosystem on iphones? They are an appalling company to deal with. At least with samsung and other android devices they are based on Linux so can be made far more secure and less risk of losing data "to the cloud"
I said I was considering the iPhone but then I saw the price. Before I even look at other issues the price barrier needs to be passed. In this case they overshot by some considerable margin.
Just looked at the price for a 14 and I will not be buying one. I do not use a phone enough to warrant that high price.

But to be honest. The iPhone would likely exceed my expectations with respect to security.
1) Apple have a pretty good reputation on this front. Not perfect but better than any chinese company.
2) I presume you could turn off cloud features and tracking on an iPhone?
3) Apple support the hardware for much longer with software updates. So rather than running on Android 8 which is no longer supported, with Apple I would still be getting support for my 5 year old phone I believe?

People think I am anti Apple specifically. It is more I am anti any large company as their sole motivation is profit. I much prefer open source software which is why I am ALL in on Linux. (Desktop and laptop).

There is nothing I would love more than an open phone and tablet platform so I could have my own version of linux installed on both. But sadly those products although available are niche and not well supported.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back