This is the device that might persuade me back to Apple. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But I doubt it after just looking at the price. But I would love to see something similar for a reasonably priced android phone.

I miss both Nokia (N97) and the Nokia Communicator 9210. Then when Nokia died I moved to Blackberry and loved them (bit slow, but good).
The blackberry died and I was finally forced to embrace the touch screen and still to this day I hate typing on them with a passion.

Soo.....

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just looked at the price for a 14 and I will not be buying one. I do not use a phone enough to warrant that high price.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
given your profession I guess it's a joke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Karl, is there supposed to be a link/photo?
I use an Apple SE and it does all I need it to do and better priced

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
its a step backwards for me.

there are already wireless mechanical keyboards for weirdos like you grom :rofl:

Im not a fan of touchscreen type myself tbh especially that stupid "drag words" thing is it aptic or something, but does the job

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
its a step backwards for me.

there are already wireless mechanical keyboards for weirdos like you grom :rofl:

Im not a fan of touchscreen type myself tbh especially that stupid "drag words" thing is it aptic or something, but does the job
There are not wireless mechanical keyboards that are "built in". Or none that I have seen?
Carrying one separately for the rare occasion I need one would be a step too far for me.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
There are not wireless mechanical keyboards that are "built in". Or none that I have seen?
Carrying one separately for the rare occasion I need one would be a step too far for me.
can you imagine the size of that thing .
its as big as a seperate one, and needs to be carried anway.

I just cant see it making the market properly, an dit sure wouldnt entice me to Apple...
, but see your point of what suits you

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
can you imagine the size of that thing .
The size thing is not an issue for me. Practicality is. Remember I mentioned the Nokia Communicator above? That was a phone I took everwhere with me and was infinitely more useful to me than todays phones are.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Im on my 2nd samsung zfold. (not zflip)
was especially wary buying the 1st, but after the 1st one, Im hooked.

I use my phones a lot for work, and IT, this is bang on, and bonus is keyboard can be one whole side of the screen in landscape (though not clicky :) )

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
No. I rarely use a phone, and when I do I hate the touch screen. Why would my profession mean something different? I am an old fart in technology terms.
You've still got a few years to go before you're an old fart. Believe me. :LOL: :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You've still got a few years to go before you're an old fart. Believe me. :LOL: :LOL:
I understand that he's well on his way with half of that description ... so the pigeons told me based on the 'noises' they hear emanating especially from his caravan washroom! :giggle:

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Karl, is there supposed to be a link/photo?
I use an Apple SE and it does all I need it to do and better priced
Back to technology, I can see the photo you posted on my iPhone but not available on my iPad. Go figure!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Im on my 2nd samsung zfold. (not zflip)
was especially wary buying the 1st, but after the 1st one, Im hooked.

I use my phones a lot for work, and IT, this is bang on, and bonus is keyboard can be one whole side of the screen in landscape (though not clicky :) )
I really just cannot get on with touchscreens for typing. I would rather get my laptop out and use the crappy keyboard on that.
I stopped doing the latest and greatest tech about the time I went fulltiming and sold a big part of my business. Then when I sold the rest in 2015 I just sort of gave up on tech altogether.
I want the cheapest, most practical thing to get the job done.

I hate phones so avoid using them at all costs. It is basically sat next to me all the time to monitor one email account for client problems and the server monitoring system I operate.
If an email comes in, I boot up the main system or laptop and use that to reply.

I can't remember the last time I made a phone call, and I use whatsapp on my computer (browser) to do instant messaging.

Long ago I bought a Sony Mini Disk when it first came. The first iPod, The first iPhone, The Galaxy Note (first real phablet) etc etc. I had a room full of electronics that was bought but ended up never getting used because it didn't live up to it's billing.

These days. I want it as simple as possible, as reliable as possible and to cause me as little stress as possible. I also now resent paying more than Ā£150 for a phone I rarely use and if it weren't for software would use for 4-5 years.
Current phone is a prime example. Excellent budget phone I paid Ā£99 for an Honor 7c Phone back in 2018. The battery still lasts 3 days. It does everything I need it do. BUT because one bit of software for no good reason thinks that Android V8 is no longer good enough I now have to upgrade to one that has android 9 on it. In case you are wondering it was Slack who took this obnoxious step. A chat app for business and they think Android 9 is the minimum version for them to operate? Ah well you got me onto a rant there lol.

My current phone and it is fantastic for my uses. Just wish it had a physical keyboard :p
1705206887278.png

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and it wasn't the Nokia N95 I had it was the Nokia 900 which I absolutely loved.
I just remembered. When Blackberry went pop I decided to buy a bunch of 2nd hand Nokia 900 and E70 off ebay.
I managed to snag 3 Nokia E70s and I ran them for a few years Until 3G became a thing that was usable.
1705207695337.png

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I love my iphone 12 .. been using Apple products for over 20 years.. but this would Not be on my desire list.. .. a touch screen is fine for tying short messages, searching on Google and using the apps.. .. when I do any serious typing I use a laptop.. Macbook Air off course ... ;)

The iPhone, is a workhorse, it's so much more than a phone..

No. I rarely use a phone, and when I do I hate the touch screen. Why would my profession mean something different? I am an old fart in technology terms.
well, I'm probably 20+ years older than you Grom, and don't consider myself an "old fart" , I try to keep abreast and adapt and adopt new tech when it comes along.. but this is old tech.,. so I will pass on it and leave it to the "old farts" who can't use a touch screen,.. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Crazy , buttons way to small, I quite often use the microphone to write texts (if that makes sense šŸ˜Š) on my iPhone SE

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Crazy , buttons way to small, I quite often use the microphone to write texts (if that makes sense šŸ˜Š) on my iPhone SE
Likewise... Siri is my friend ..

but she did take a bit of coaching to adapt to my accent ..lol

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This was my first PDA many moons ago, battery is dead though.

IMG_2254.jpeg

I charged these two up about 6 weeks ago and they still fire up OK, I always used SPV and HTC and Jen had the Samsung,

IMG_2251.jpegIMG_2253.jpeg

I am reluctant to throw them away while there is still life in them :unsure: :LOL:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Likewise... Siri is my friend ..

but she did take a bit of coaching to adapt to my accent ..lol
I find itā€™s a shame Siri doesnā€™t work when using Bluetooth in car or Bluetooth headphones

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I find itā€™s a shame Siri doesnā€™t work when using Bluetooth in car or Bluetooth headphones
works in the car with Apple Car Play ..

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Loved my Nokia E7 with the sliding keyboard, I had three of them.

But even better was my Sony-Ericsson p910 with a flip keyboard and stylus, I could write far faster with the character recognition than any keyboard.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I really just cannot get on with touchscreens for typing. I would rather get my laptop out and use the crappy keyboard on that.
I stopped doing the latest and greatest tech about the time I went fulltiming and sold a big part of my business. Then when I sold the rest in 2015 I just sort of gave up on tech altogether.
I want the cheapest, most practical thing to get the job done.

I hate phones so avoid using them at all costs. It is basically sat next to me all the time to monitor one email account for client problems and the server monitoring system I operate.
If an email comes in, I boot up the main system or laptop and use that to reply.

I can't remember the last time I made a phone call, and I use whatsapp on my computer (browser) to do instant messaging.

Long ago I bought a Sony Mini Disk when it first came. The first iPod, The first iPhone, The Galaxy Note (first real phablet) etc etc. I had a room full of electronics that was bought but ended up never getting used because it didn't live up to it's billing.

These days. I want it as simple as possible, as reliable as possible and to cause me as little stress as possible. I also now resent paying more than Ā£150 for a phone I rarely use and if it weren't for software would use for 4-5 years.
Current phone is a prime example. Excellent budget phone I paid Ā£99 for an Honor 7c Phone back in 2018. The battery still lasts 3 days. It does everything I need it do. BUT because one bit of software for no good reason thinks that Android V8 is no longer good enough I now have to upgrade to one that has android 9 on it. In case you are wondering it was Slack who took this obnoxious step. A chat app for business and they think Android 9 is the minimum version for them to operate? Ah well you got me onto a rant there lol.

My current phone and it is fantastic for my uses. Just wish it had a physical keyboard :p
View attachment 854371

We are in agreement about this stuff. I use my old Android smartphone sparingly and prefer my laptop.

Just this week I was caught out by the Android compatibility trap. After a lot of research, I ordered a particular smart watch off Amazon (bargain offer from Warehouse saving about Ā£100) because after my 3rd bout of Covid, I wanted a watch certified to monitor SpO2 and pulse accurately, and ECG as well, that I can link to my phone via bluetooth to keep records for my GP to see if necessary. [I have Long Covid symptoms for the 3rd time, although not as bad as before, and I hope they will resolve before next summer.]

To cut a long story short I checked that the App that you need would be compatible. The downloaded user guide said it requires Android 8 or above. My phone has Android 8.1.0 so yippee, this looked like a goer. The watch is delivered and I try to set it up. Play Store says: "This App doesn't work with your phone". Can't download. Utter frustration. Watch has to be sent back for a refund. Grrr. Back to the simple pulse oximeter. :mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Old tech is still useful. Last year we sent a load of phones and old laptops to Uganda via a friend that will be used by the wildlife rangers.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gromett Karl do you not worry about the locked down ecosystem on iphones? They are an appalling company to deal with. At least with samsung and other android devices they are based on Linux so can be made far more secure and less risk of losing data "to the cloud"

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Didn't the propensity for the scams of "Rich Nigerian Prince needs your help to cash a cheque, etc" come about from some charity asking for "unwanted" pc's and laptops a few years back, to go to educate children in Nigeria and led to more nefarious uses ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back