Thinking of visiting Scotland 2024 (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Funsters , I would like some ideas , suggestions of recommended campsites / 5 van /cl/cs , we are members of Camping & Caravan club ,
also places to see while up there , not into stately homes or city's etc , more want places to park up with good views nice walks
not long distance as wife unable to walk to far .
Also when is the best and worst times re-midges , we would like to avoid the little blighters as much as possible .
Thinking off doing west side up to fort william then across towards perth then back down towards the Kelpies / Falkirk wheel
Thanks in advance Terry FIDGET

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
To avoid the midges, April is probably your best bet. Lots of sites and wild spots all over, route looks great too. The walking can be hard though.

Loads of the foresty Scotland stops have way marked easy walks on good tracks.

Midges will start in May through To Septemberish. They can be there, or not, but rest assured, if they are you will know.

You are only just getting started at Fort William mind. I would go there then head for Loch Ness and back down to Perth.

Kinlochleven is beautiful.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hi Funsters , I would like some ideas , suggestions of recommended campsites / 5 van /cl/cs , we are members of Camping & Caravan club ,
also places to see while up there , not into stately homes or city's etc , more want places to park up with good views nice walks
Also when is the best and worst times re-midges , we would like to avoid the little blighters as much as possible .
Thinking off doing west side up to fort william then across towards perth then back down towards the Kelpies / Falkirk wheel
If you look at the banner on the bottom of my page, there is midge advice aplenty.
Hope this helps..Robert.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Midges are a bit like sex, people worry too much about them, but if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time they'll have you scratching like hell ;) :rofl:

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Check out the Camping & caravanning club Out and About there will be plenty of rallies and temporary holiday sites listed soon, all in great places most on a bus route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Kelpies & Falkirk wheel are both worth visiting and you can stay overnight at both in their car parks. The former has a toilet open 24/7 and the latter water, showers and waste disposal courtesy of the canal facilities. Good level canal side walking at both. Maybe not on your planned route but my favourite aire is at Findhorn if you find yourself east of Inverness. A bit north of Perth, Pitlochry is a nice centre to visit, interesting shops and salmon ladder.

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We used to be members of Camping & Caravan club and used to use their site at Moffat for 1 night to break our journey from Wales to the Highlands each year and the same for the return journey. Moffat is a lovely little town it is a very short walk away. Then they changed the rules to a minimum of two nights, not much good to us as we only had 7 days for the trip. As far as I'm aware, the only C&CC site which allows 1 night stops is Dingwall which is a shame, unless they've changed the rules once more (y)

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We used to be members of Camping & Caravan club and used to use their site at Moffat for 1 night to break our journey from Wales to the Highlands each year and the same for the return journey. Moffat is a lovely little town it is a very short walk away. Then they changed the rules to a minimum of two nights, not much good to us as we only had 7 days for the trip. As far as I'm aware, the only C&CC site which allows 1 night stops is Dingwall which is a shame, unless they've changed the rules once more (y)

There’s a place next door called the ‘green frog’ or something like that which is good for an overnight stop and easy walk into Moffat.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Don’t think Moffat still have that rule, we stayed for just one night in April 👍🏻 Great site and nice town

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
May usually ok - and second half September. Avoid July/August for definite.

Where to visit so much harder - where not to visit might be easier .., try not to cover too much ground …

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Did three weeks there in June this year. Did the Millport rally, lovely aire on the island of Cumbrea. Then up to Oban stayed at North Leidig,( sea front pitch) ferry over to Mull, Stayed at the campsite ( Sheilings) by the ferry port in Mull( another sea view pitch). then drove across to Fidden Farm near Fionphort . This campsite you can park up almost on the beach, ( I thought i'd died and gone to heaven) the views , white sand azure blue sea are wonderful. its about a mile from Fionphort where you get the ferry across to Iona. We then came back to the ferry port for one night to get the 9 am ferry back to the mainland. Drove across to the Kelpies , stayed the night in the lower carpark ( £10) We were told that they have applied to have spaces in the main carpark licensed as an aire and price would go up to £15. Drove across to the Falkirk Wheel stayed the night there (£10) you also get a discount on breakfast the next day if you show your ticket. We took three weeks to do all this

May 18, 2021
Redditch, Redditch, Worcs, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Since 2017
Neist Point on the Isle of Skye is a fantastic stopover to do. Also, Loch Maree picnic site is well worth doing for the views.

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
Depending how far up you want to go. West coast up to and university Ullapool is lovely. As is Cairngorms.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
University of the Highlands and Islands 😀
You don’t say how long your trip will be. Unless you intend a driving holiday or have loads of time don’t try to see it all in one go.
Sue

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Our visit should be about 2 too 3 weeks plus journey up and back from Cornwall
Overall about a month or so .
We've been a couple of times before , done loch Ness , Skye , loch Lomond , Glencoe , fort William & the road up to mallaig . Falkirk wheel , Perth pitlochry Blair athol
Culzean castle

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Been doing Bonny Scotland for the last 40yrs and still not seen a fraction of it, and I could recommend loads upon loads of places to visit
And you will get loads of recomondationisns from folk who have their favourite places... your mind will be puggled.
My advice.. Look at a map... pick an area and come up and explore what you find..
DO NOT Try to cover too much ground..
Rmbr a motorway is totally differant to the single tracks we have up here.... Slainge....

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We have a lot of single track lanes in Cornwall , none marked 6ft6 only so satnav are useless. You've got to stick to main roads only if you've got large moho

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
On our last trip we met up with my brother at the end of September. He was hiring a van to see what all the fuss was about. We decided to start with a site. Ballater community site, lovely place on the River and short stroll into town with all amenities. They said oh my are all sites and facilities this nice :ROFLMAO: err nope, what a find (y) We then set him up on SFS as he wanted to go west and off he went. We headed North using SFS. You can't go wrong in Scotland we love the place. Anyway they have booked another van for next year (y)job done Scotland and SFS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back