Think my Motorhome days may be over (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
As already mentioned above, first things first: everyone is fine.
Don't give up, it's just bad luck, same thing happened to me a few years ago.
Try to be positive and see what can be done with the van.
Good luck.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Sorry to hear about it, it always shakes you up when that happens but don't rush into any decisions bout the van.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
So sorry to read your news.

I admit it is a small dread I have also.

Firstly I'm so glad no one was hurt, that is of most importance but it is the aftermath that I think would affect me.

Again I can imagine it happening to me. I'm not a good driver and so do not drive fast. I do not like the reshuffle of the payload that heavy braking brings, so slow, steady and plenty of braking distance gaps.

That get double compromised by mister fast and light car, cutting into my 'safe' space and braking hard to slow themselves in the gap with no idea or care of the difference in breaking distance of him modern lightweight wheels and my 3500Kg leviathan.

OK, it's their fault but I've yet to experience vehicle insurance every paying enough to completely reinstate your pride and joy, also I would not bank on a total write off paying enough for what my van is worth to me and street value!

So I could easily see it becoming the end of enjoyable motorhoming.

Anyway let's,

oddballkellysheroes2t11.jpg

Take Oddball's advice and wish for the best.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Looks like the “crumple zone” did its job well.

If that is the case it may well have protected the vital bits and be repairable. Regardless, it obviously did its job of protecting you.

A very unpleasant experience but it’s good to hear that you were unhurt.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A shame if that lovely Laika is a write-off. I hope it can still be repaired even if insurers don't want to foot the bill.

Thank goodness nobody was hurt, except of course the trauma will last a while. So sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
It can be repaired.
Weather that makes economic sense is a different matter.
If the insurance write it off, you can buy it off them and pay the rest yourself.
I'd not let a 'little' accident like this get in the way.

If you need to replace it, the good news is modern motorhomes come with ABS breaking and dash cams!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Easily done and I suspect I might well have been caught out in a similar situation although everyone should really be travelling at a distance from the vehicle in front that allows them to stop if they suddenly do
And then you find the vehicle behind you can't stop and pushes you into the vehicle in front of you.

Thank goodness for dash cams......

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Had a similar accident so I can empathise, but…
Hitting the car in front means you didn’t leave enough stopping distance and the front car that left the scene, why should they stay , they weren’t involved and didn’t collide, they were able to stop safely for whatever reason
Tough love I know, but …

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Bit of T-cut and duck tape glad your all.ok.

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
Travelling down the A46 this morning, 1 lane closed for grass cutting, so driving reasonably slowly when a car about 4 in front of us suddenly stopped so we all slammed on our breaks but the weight of the Van meant I couldn’t slow down quickly enough. The car in front of us hit a lorry delivering caravans in front of him and well rear ended the car in front of us. Lucky we’re both OK which is the main thing but to add to our misery the first car just drove off. View attachment 937476View attachment 937477
David, I feel for you.
I too, have a Laika (Kreos 3007) and it might be our first van, but it is my pride and joy. I do hope that this can be repaired cos they are a lovely build quality, inside and out.

I was on the A46 last night running up to Royal Mail at Coventry from Exeter, as I do that run quite often, and those a**eholes are STILL cutting the bloody grass.
Doing it all again tonight!
Good luck my friend 👍

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Judging from your photograph, the car in front of you hasn’t come out of it as well as your motorhome.
I hope you will be pleasantly surprised and the insurance company and a good body shop will get you back on the road again.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Depends whether he actually had a reason to brake.
If they did or did not, they would make one up as required 😑
My two sons were out , one as a learner the other as the instructor, the learner moved and stalled , stopping unexpectedly. The third car behind, rear ended the second car. They drove off as they had not been involved the collision
Right or wrong 😑

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they did or did not, they would make one up as required 😑
My two sons were out , one as a learner the other as the instructor, the learner moved and stalled , stopping unexpectedly. The third car behind, rear ended the second car. They drove off as they had not been involved the collision
Right or wrong 😑
It's the fault of the car that hit the second one. There are very few situations in which if you drive into the back of someone it's their fault

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Depends whether he actually had a reason to brake.
I had a worrying incident in my new VW car. Trying out the cruise control on a quiet dual carriageway, it decided to brake fairly quickly, as it thought I was approaching the roundabout above the road. Fortunatly there was nothing near me and I accelerated quite quickly, but I'm nervous about using it again now!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had a worrying incident in my new VW car. Trying out the cruise control on a quiet dual carriageway, it decided to brake fairly quickly, as it thought I was approaching the roundabout above the road. Fortunatly there was nothing near me and I accelerated quite quickly, but I'm nervous about using it again now!
That's very worrying, I'm not suprised your aprehensive about using it again.
Can you report it to VW ?

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
the A class, well they are quite different now aren’t they! 🤔
No idea. I would have thought that they would meet certain standards for accidents, though what that is compared to a coach built I wouldn't know. Interesting.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
No idea. I would have thought that they would meet certain standards for accidents, though what that is compared to a coach built I wouldn't know. Interesting.

I think you’ll find that they aren’t tested whatsoever! 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back