The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Right slight change of plan .

I was going to head east after dropping off this scooter carrier

But

I've noticed lately that my eyesight has definitely deteriorated, and I'd had a text from specsavers the other week saying my 2 year eyetest was overdue ... really struggling with things upclose at the minute so because I'm heading over the water next month I don't want to take the chance of getting worse.

So because I suspect I'm going to need new glasses and those take about a week to get sorted I've phoned the specs avers branch in worthing and made an appointment for Friday 25th October for an eye test. That'll give me time to order and receive new specs before I go.

So I gotta figure out somewhere to park down there next week and a way to get in to worthing High Street.

So instead of heading east I'll stick to this side and check out a few places on route back south .
Check out Asda Tam, they are a lot cheaper and good quality - my varifocals only cost me £45 with anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings, same for hubby who has very, very bad eyesight with a high level prescription, same cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My mechanic that I used years back had a machine that used to screw onto the brake reservoir tank, it was like a header tank that you keep topping up. Compressed air is then connected to it to force the new brake fluid out of the bleed nipples. He used to start at the furthest wheel open the nipple until new clear fluid came out, then do the same all arround the vehicle. Simple system really but saves all that clutch pedal pushing and holding down that I remember doing with my girlfriends many years back.
"Push it down love, hold it!....now let it up, and repeat, and repeat" then stop for a fag, all done(y).
LES
You're still talking about brakes I take it? :LOL:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
You're still talking about brakes I take it? :LOL:
Talking about brakes they definitely seem better , but till I do some long hill descents again I won't know if still fading but the peddle is definitely firmer. Just that light to sort now which I'll look at the first good dry day I get so I can get under it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check out Asda Tam, they are a lot cheaper and good quality - my varifocals only cost me £45 with anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings, same for hubby who has very, very bad eyesight with a high level prescription, same cost.
Asda specs are good BUT the opticians are not at all emergency friendly. I had a torn retina and ASDA told I could only have an appointment in 2 weeks even for an emergency. I ended up in the eye hospital for emergency surgery the same day an independent optician saw me within an hour.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Asda specs are good BUT the opticians are not at all emergency friendly. I had a torn retina and ASDA told I could only have an appointment in 2 weeks even for an emergency. I ended up in the eye hospital for emergency surgery the same day an independent optician saw me within an hour.
From experience they don't always have opticians 'on duty' every day, it depends on the store as to how many days a week they do tests. As for an emergency, personally I wouldn't expect a supermarket chain one to be able to cater for them, that's not what they're set up for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I also have a frogstar 230 , on the app the dial in the middle is often wrong , sometimes showing 95% when it is down at 12.9v , I think if the power is taken out the battery slowly it does not register in the amp dial or amp volume so can go into cut out still showing high amps

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I also have a frogstar 230 , on the app the dial in the middle is often wrong , sometimes showing 95% when it is down at 12.9v , I think if the power is taken out the battery slowly it does not register in the amp dial or amp volume so can go into cut out still showing high amps
The BMS can't detect drains under 1 amp, in the case of my Fogstar 230 it doesn't detect anything less than 1.5 amps.
Also until you reach around 5-6 cycles the BMS isn't properly synced with the battery and readings can be well out.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
From experience they don't always have opticians 'on duty' every day, it depends on the store as to how many days a week they do tests. As for an emergency, personally I wouldn't expect a supermarket chain one to be able to cater for them, that's not what they're set up for.
Not much use when you are told by 111 to see your usual optician as it is an emergency if you don't know the system and are panicking.

I now use the independent optician as he takes far longer with the examination, he has picked up other long standing issues that ASDA have missed over several years and different opticians. Of course you pay for that with the cost of the glasses from the independent.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I might give the one in Stafford a call tomorrow see what they say.

I don't wanna hang around anywhere up here though to wait for them being made.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Not much use when you are told by 111 to see your usual optician as it is an emergency if you don't know the system and are panicking.

I now use the independent optician as he takes far longer with the examination, he has picked up other long standing issues that ASDA have missed over several years and different opticians. Of course you pay for that with the cost of the glasses from the independent.
I too use an independent who is more thorough. But you don't have to buy your glasses from them. They'll give you the prescription and you can get the glasses from anywhere. I've done it both ways to try to compare cheap and expensive varifocals.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
I too use an independent who is more thorough. But you don't have to buy your glasses from them. They'll give you the prescription and you can get the glasses from anywhere. I've done it both ways to try to compare cheap and expensive varifocals.
Anyone want to recommend where to get specs made up other than the national (usual sus-specs) chains please? Cheers.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just caught up. I get my eyes tested by a trusted optician then buy my specs from asda
Hope all is sorted and up and running in time for your ferry.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This ^^^^^^^^^Jac & I both use them.
Tam, if you get your Eyes tested here just get the cheapest pair because you’ll definitely get cheaper in Spain or Morocco
Never found anything cheap by way of glasses here in spain?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Tam, if you get your Eyes tested here just get the cheapest pair because you’ll definitely get cheaper in Spain or Morocco
Gotta try and fit in some dental work in Spain this year. Not seen my own dentist in two years now as couldn't get an appointment last year ..

Need a few fillings done.

So if I can get my specs sorted here that's one less thing to sort out

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!