The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I have a Citroen Berlingo in Spain. Had it for more than 10 years. It failed it's itv(mot)
as brakes out of balance. Fitted new wheel cylinder as slight weep. On bleeding fluid looked like brand new.
How is moisture supposed to get in without fluid leaking out?
Well that's always been my thoughts too. They claim moisture can get in everytime you take the cap off the reservoir etc or in through the pistons . Like you I can't see how it can enter the system if no fluid has left the system. I've certainly never had an issue with fading brakes on anything other than these 2 iveco motorhomes. Now it could be said I don't have vehicles long enough to have these issues often but it could also be said I've had more vehicles than the average person too so you'd think it would be more likely.

Who knows. But I can't say it's something that was done often by the people I had in my circle . Can't recall anyone ever saying they'd had their brake fluid changed

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
they might have a reception area where you could sit with the dogs whilst the job is done to save you all getting soaked, although I imagine the dogs will need a walk anyway for peeing and such..
Aye no such luck I'm afraid .. just 2 chairs I in there and very small , blu work create havoc.

They need walked anyway just no the nicest place for a walk and a nightmare when they get soaked. I'm quite lucky in some ways as they don't like going out in the rain either ... ela often refuses lol.

But needs must on this occasion

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
Well that's always been my thoughts too. They claim moisture can get in everytime you take the cap off the reservoir etc or in through the pistons . Like you I can't see how it can enter the system if no fluid has left the system. I've certainly never had an issue with fading brakes on anything other than these 2 iveco motorhomes. Now it could be said I don't have vehicles long enough to have these issues often but it could also be said I've had more vehicles than the average person too so you'd think it would be more likely.

Who knows. But I can't say it's something that was done often by the people I had in my circle . Can't recall anyone ever saying they'd had their brake fluid changed
Brake fade will normally affect heavy vehicles or fast cars due to heat, the better the ventilation the less issues with prolonged use, when brake fluid boils due to over use and poor ventilation it starts to brake down causing brake fade, sometimes it’s best to use a higher DOT fluid, DOT 4 boils at around 200c as DOT6 is around 250c, age and contamination can dramatically lower the breakdown temperature.🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Boiled the fluid on my Moby when a handbrake jammed on descending the Pyrenees - pedal went to the floor a few times - scary!
Don't recall the fluid being changed when it was fixed though.....

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Brake fade will normally affect heavy vehicles or fast cars due to heat, the better the ventilation the less issues with prolonged use, when brake fluid boils due to over use and poor ventilation it starts to brake down causing brake fade, sometimes it’s best to use a higher DOT fluid, DOT 4 boils at around 200c as DOT6 is around 250c, age and contamination can dramatically lower the breakdown temperature.🤔
I can't see a dot 6 fluid

I've read all the bumph online about different types but it also says to stick with the manufacturer recommended fluid. Think this is dot4 lv

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Lost my brakes coming down an Italian mountain pass on a motorcycle with wife on back a few years back. After a couple of very hairy bends a couple of punches to the kidneys from the wife I finally got it stopped. Once cooled down they came back sort of. I nursed it down till I found an Alfa Romeo garage and explained my plight. Boss whistled up a couple of mechanics who changed the fluid like an F1 pitstop!
Boss looked at the bottle and said 2 euro for the fluid! I gave his mechanics 10 each!
Very scary experience!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
After agreeing a price with premium motorhomes for my motorhome as a trade in I'm getting brake warning lights and a fluid level warning lights, typical it could have lasted a few more weeks. It's probably just sensors.
Off to the garage tomorrow.
Bloody ivecos are so sensitive especially the newer ones, mind the new one is going to be an iveco as well.
If it’s that sensitive you shouldn’t have let it hear that it was being replaced, got the sulks now.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Lost my brakes coming down an Italian mountain pass on a motorcycle with wife on back a few years back. After a couple of very hairy bends a couple of punches to the kidneys from the wife I finally got it stopped. Once cooled down they came back sort of. I nursed it down till I found an Alfa Romeo garage and explained my plight. Boss whistled up a couple of mechanics who changed the fluid like an F1 pitstop!
Boss looked at the bottle and said 2 euro for the fluid! I gave his mechanics 10 each!
Very scary experience!
Yes I lost them on a mountain pass with moby in Greece last year. And then this one did it a little bit on a much smaller hill in cheddar hence me getting the fluid changed now as if it did it on that wee hill it would do it again on much bigger ones. Hopefully it sorts the problem out.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
I can't see a dot 6 fluid

I've read all the bumph online about different types but it also says to stick with the manufacturer recommended fluid. Think this is dot4 lv
Sorry should have put DOT4 class 6🤔
The major difference between standard DOT-4 (CLASS-4) and DOT-4 CLASS-6 is the viscosity. DOT-4 ISO 4924 CLASS-4 fluid has a viscosity of 1,800 cSt, a dry boil temp of 230°C and a wet boil temp of 155°C. DOT-4 ISO 4925 CLASS-6 fluid has a viscosity of 750 cSt, a dry boil temp of 250°C and a wet boil temp of 156°C

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our IVECO went in for service at the main dealer earlier this year and they said brake fluid needed doing at 4 years. We have Telma retarder as a get out of jail free card (actually it was far from free😉) but a great bit of kit all the same.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Our IVECO went in for service at the main dealer earlier this year and they said brake fluid needed doing at 4 years. We have Telma retarder as a get out of jail free card (actually it was far from free😉) but a great bit of kit all the same.
Yes I'll bet the retarder helps on the mountain declines. There was one on the vario .

It's scary when the pedal goes flat to the floor in a 6 tonne van lol . Don't think the handbrake would do much either .

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Let’s hope the fluid change fixes it.

Back in my misspent youth I remember buying different grade brake pads for rallying. Softer and wear out quicker but designed for the tougher hotter rallying environments.
Maybe that might be a possibility? No idea if they do different quality for Iveco’s as I’ve never had one!

Obviously designed for better stopping power!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I had it on moby and I've got it on this one too. Hopefully it is just the fluid being old.

But I was discussing this with Just smiffy the other day . Neither of us have ever made a point of having brake fluid changed in our vehicles, I've never done it as far as I recall. I've bled them for sure but never completely replaced it. And the price of cars etc I've always ran I can't see them having had it done by previous owners either.

Google now advises a change every 2 years lol.
i was concerned about the age of the brake fluid in my van and asked garage to change. they said they had equipment to check for moisture and would change if neccessary.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Let’s hope the fluid change fixes it.

Back in my misspent youth I remember buying different grade brake pads for rallying. Softer and wear out quicker but designed for the tougher hotter rallying environments.
Maybe that might be a possibility? No idea if they do different quality for Iveco’s as I’ve never had one!

Obviously designed for better stopping power!
Yeah hopefully it sorts it.

i was concerned about the age of the brake fluid in my van and asked garage to change. they said they had equipment to check for moisture and would change if neccessary.
This one is unlikely to have had it changed in at least the last 12 years but possibly not ever . The pads that were in it were still the originals so it could be doing with being changed anyway.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012
I
Yeah the beauty with moby was it didn't have any sensors...or very few anyway. The newer the vehicle the more it has and often its the sensor itself that goes faulty and causes issues. And often so many you can't pinpoint which one it is.

The fiat's are not much better though , loads of sensors on them too.
I have the fiat based Arto with the iveco engine I'm fecked😅

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012
Aye and it's a different engine too lol.
I need to investigate it more ,don't know exactly what engine it is ,it's got a fault code up for the egr valve 🙈so it's in garage for a check over on Monday will be picking the mechanics brain , it's a commercial garage near Carlisle so hopefully get good info from them .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I need to investigate it more ,don't know exactly what engine it is ,it's got a fault code up for the egr valve 🙈so it's in garage for a check over on Monday will be picking the mechanics brain , it's a commercial garage near Carlisle so hopefully get good info from them .
Yours will have the 3.0 litre I'd imagine as its newer than mine and it will be the same engine as the newer ducatos . Mine is the 2 8 litre but its different from the fiat 2.8 engines of the same era .

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO
Exp
Since 2012
Yours will have the 3.0 litre I'd imagine as its newer than mine and it will be the same engine as the newer ducatos . Mine is the 2 8 litre but its different from the fiat 2.8 engines of the same era .
Ye it's the 3.0L but never had an iveco before so need to learn a bit about it now.
Got a few tips from all the stuff you have done with Doc and all the info put on so I'm learning 😁.
Might have to get my brake fluid changed now😅.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back