The Motorhome we are thinking of buying has no oven! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I love cooking and have always felt that a combi grill/oven is a "must", but I'm gradually changing my mind. We mostly use the MH in the summer and when its hot outside we don't really cook much inside so we probably only use it a handful of times each year. If we go away in the winter we tend to be on sites with EHU so we'd probably easily be able to substitute an air fryer.

I think the "dangerous" comment comes from the oven (hot stuff) being at head height when you remove it, we do have oone though and use it occasionally for cooking and more often just to warm plates.

Dangerous as in having to lift hot pans (possibly filled with boiling liquid) out of the oven at arms length above my head, so I can’t see what I’m doing, whilst trying to keep it level, then having to turn around to put pan/oven tray onto a surface.

Then if it needs to go back in for longer, doing the whole process again in reverse! :rofl:
Just shows how something that suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit another....as a tall person I find the Tec Tower oven the perfect height and much prefer it over the previous under-counter ones we've had, but I can see that it might not be such a good fit for someone shorter or with shoulder mobility problems.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We have a full size oven, grill, hob 3 gas rings 1 electric in the van absolutely great at soufflé so I have heard 😁 apart from that air fryer and microwave all off grid oh and don't forget the toaster 😋

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Have had ovens in vans, barely used them. Before we changed to this van, just two burners, we thought long and hard about no grill, no oven, no microwave. We realised most of what we cook in van can be easily done on two burners, and we do have a Remoska as well. Have had this van three years now and have not missed the oven once. As others have said have a look at the other thread for more detailed discussion. There is also a Facebook site for cooking on two burners.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I love cooking and have always felt that a combi grill/oven is a "must", but I'm gradually changing my mind. We mostly use the MH in the summer and when its hot outside we don't really cook much inside so we probably only use it a handful of times each year. If we go away in the winter we tend to be on sites with EHU so we'd probably easily be able to substitute an air fryer.

Just shows how something that suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit another....as a tall person I find the Tec Tower oven the perfect height and much prefer it over the previous under-counter ones we've had, but I can see that it might not be such a good fit for someone shorter or with shoulder mobility problems.
Crikey how tall are you? :wink: :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We are 99% on hook up when touring , we are using the oven less and less . I’m an enthusiastic air fryer convert .

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thank you all for very useful comments. If possible I would like some help with following.

IF we buy this van without an oven . What sort of battery bank should we look at and inverter . (Hopefully we can do a deal with the dealer) As we like to spend most of our time of grid. Thoughts are that we will buy a 400w Remoska a low watt air fryer . ( There are only two of us)

Thanks again any other suggestions you make I would be grateful.

Mrs Colyboy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thank you all for very useful comments. If possible I would like some help with following.

IF we buy this van without an oven . What sort of battery bank should we look at and inverter . (Hopefully we can do a deal with the dealer) As we like to spend most of our time of grid. Thoughts are that we will buy a 400w Remoska a low watt air fryer . ( There are only two of us)

Mrs Colyboy
For starters I will say LiFePO4 at least 300-400ah and again at least 400watts of solar but more would be better, the inverter needs to be at least 25% over what you think you are going to run, the Remoska at 400watts is pretty low but a kettle, hair dryer, microwave or even air fryer would all be more, inverter wants to be pure sine wave of course.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
For starters I will say LiFePO4 at least 300-400ah and again at least 400watts of solar but more would be better, the inverter needs to be at least 25% over what you think you are going to run, the Remoska at 400watts is pretty low but a kettle, hair dryer, microwave or even air fryer would all be more, inverter wants to be pure sine wave of course.
By the time you’ve added all that you would wish you had just bought a van with an oven:LOL:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Mrs Colyboy
Or buy an oven and find a decent chippy to fit it

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Solar power, a B2B, Lithium batteries, a decent inverter and an air fryer is a brilliant substitute.

Deffo. We also installed a microwave and use a double skillet (or at least SWMBO does 😁).

And can now use an electric kettle and hairdryer (not that I needed one 😬).

We did have an oven in one of our vans - it was useless and took up a lot of space (and weight).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
as a tall person I find the Tec Tower oven the perfect height
It is a bit but height depends on the Carthago fit them very high.
Our previous 3 vans had TEC towers never found them much of a problemmy wife is 4'10".
Also they work quit well after a couple of simple mods.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't cook nice meals, even at home!!!! opps hope Mrs Brummie64 doesn't read my posts!!!
"Butterflies"? Do you have to play musical cars too? 😄

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd Just get a Thetford gas oven fitted, ours is great 👌☺️
You can keep things in it so it's also a cupboard, and it heats the whole van up which is good for the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd Just get a Thetford gas oven fitted, ours is great 👌☺️
You can keep things in it so it's also a cupboard, and it heats the whole van up which is good for the UK.
... and ... on a cold morning when making toast you can stand over the open grill door and pull out the bottom of your t-shirt so the lovely hot air from the grill wafts up it and warms you up ... Lovely! 😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back