The Motorhome we are thinking of buying has no oven! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
The van we are thinking of buying has no oven! How do manage to cook nice meals without an oven? I would be interested to hear of sensible recipes you may use. Also it has only two burners.
Mrs Colyboy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lots of vans come without ovens these days, especially continental ones. Siân refuses to buy a van without an oven, but cooking is something she loves. That said, we were living full time in an RV with a broken oven for about 3 months. But she coped with a combination of a double skillet, Remoska, and a £20 halogen oven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Another vote for Remoska - on our 4 th van, first 2 had an oven, 3rd one didn’t (a Carthago) but the Remoska was great. Having said all of which, we are enjoying having one in our new van, but it’s certainly not a deal breaker for us.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've not had an oven in any of our motorhomes and we've been motorhoming since 1994!

We try not to cook inside much anyway, but we live and travel mostly in Spain. We have a Cadac for outside, and cook on that when possible.

This present motorhome had a small oven and microwave on shelves in the garage when we bought it. That's an option if you have a good leccy supply. They were the first things to go!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The van we are thinking of buying has no oven! How do manage to cook nice meals without an oven? I would be interested to hear of sensible recipes you may use. Also it has only two burners.
Mrs Colyboy
European spec?
Never had an oven in four vans we owned, however did have one in two caravans...made great pan storage...
Can cook a vast amount of different food ...on stove top or outside use of Cadac...
We do have an oven in our Apartment....that's never been used...but we do have an Air fryer..

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Our first 2 vans had ovens in and we only looked for vans with them as we considered them essential, but we ordered our current van without one as we wasnt using the oven enough so we enjoy the extra cupboard space without one. We use a 400w Remoska ( infact we now use it indoors too ) and I fitted a microwave. This combination is perfect for us.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This is our first van without an oven and we don’t miss having one, the tectower oven in previous van wasn’t great anyway. There are other options out there as already mentioned (Remoska, BBQ with lid, air fryer etc), besides the joys of embracing one pot cooking.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve got an oven (tech tower thingy), use it for storing packets of biscuits, bread and pasta.
Lit it once, when bits inside it started getting hot (in a wooden framed MH) we turned it off, never used it since

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The gas oven we have is not good, we have a glass halogen oven as long as we have ehu

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The Catering Department decided that our new van should not have an oven because:
1) they take up far too much kitchen storage space and
2) the previous oven was pretty useless.
We now use a Remoska when on mains and the 2 hobs when not. I remain very well fed and neither of us are missing the oven. Ditching the oven option has worked out well for us.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On our new van we ordered without an oven. 480a batteries with 2kw inverter we use small air fryer, remoska, slow cooker and we got a 1 ring gas hob for outside that we use a ridged pan for BBQ type stuff.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We don't have an oven didn't like how or where they fitted so the £1000 saved when towards the Lithium install & we use an air fryer.

You had Lithium in your last van so if you have it in the new van you should be able to use an air fryer.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mrs Colyboy
Always a compromise! What van are you buying? Do the pros outweigh the cons? If the new van without an oven, is so much better than the existing one,don’t let a missing oven hold you back.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our first 2 vans had ovens in and we only looked for vans with them as we considered them essential, but we ordered our current van without one as we wasnt using the oven enough so we enjoy the extra cupboard space without one. We use a 400w Remoska ( infact we now use it indoors too ) and I fitted a microwave. This combination is perfect for us.
Oh yes the small Remodka is 400w, we’ve got the large as well which we used to use at home as an overflow when all the family were home. Now with the fancy new kitchen I should sell it. I’d quite forgotten it!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We never use ours - it’s the useless/dangerous tech tower.

Another vote for lithium, solar panels and an airfryer.

I don’t use our oven at home either!

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Cadac, and and external gas connection.

Ps the kobi side deflectors are a great help.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We have the Tec Tower that’s attracted a few negative comments but having had it for over nine years we’ve got used to it and know its limitations and wouldn’t be without it now.
Cooking method is max for as long as it takes for everything.
We modified it with a faux ceramic insulation layer and it’s certainly improved its performance.
I don’t understand the “dangerous” comment from cliffanger regarding it, though if the door is open it’s the perfect height to bang your forehead on. Nor is it useless, just not quite as useful as it could be. The most annoying thing about it for me that the grill uses up valuable oven space.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Take a look at the spec/layout of the van and see if they do one with an oven.

Then work out the cost of buying the oven and getting it fitted.
If it does not make financial sense, then don't buy that van, buy one with an oven.

We had a long list of 'must/must not' have when looking for our van.
An oven was on that list, if no oven we did not even consider it.

As many have said, the continental version of many vans do not come with an oven.
Ovens are a very British thing for the UK market.
Same as the Italian vans mostly come fitted with a proper café level coffee machine

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Most the answers on here seem to involve electricity, so needs EHU or a re-jig of battery system and inverter.
A lot of vans new and not so new now have a decent lithium and solar install so are independent of EHU, but there is always a campsite if you are desperate ;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the Tec Tower that’s attracted a few negative comments but having had it for over nine years we’ve got used to it and know its limitations and wouldn’t be without it now.
We modified it with a faux ceramic insulation layer and it’s certainly improved its performance.
I don’t understand the “dangerous” comment from cliffanger regarding it, though if the door is open it’s the perfect height to bang your forehead on. Nor is it useless, just not quite as useful as it could be. The most annoying thing about it for me that the grill uses up valuable oven space.
I think the "dangerous" comment comes from the oven (hot stuff) being at head height when you remove it, we do have oone though and use it occasionally for cooking and more often just to warm plates.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We've had our van for nearly a year, used the oven just once, the hob is useful for a kettle when not on EHU, if we travel without the dogs we eat out, if we travel with them we have takeaways and we also have an air fryer. The only thing inside our oven is a teatowel to stop the shelf from rattling and while we could take the shelf out we may need to use it in the future...

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dangerous as in having to lift hot pans (possibly filled with boiling liquid) out of the oven at arms length above my head, so I can’t see what I’m doing, whilst trying to keep it level, then having to turn around to put pan/oven tray onto a surface.

Then if it needs to go back in for longer, doing the whole process again in reverse! :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back