The Hymer MLT motorhome that rolled over ! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My original comment was regarding BOATs in the UK (and chemins in France) If the road/track they took in Spain was a legal 'route' like a BOAT...it is irrelevent whether there is a 'better route to travel'. I presume you live in Spain...what is the legal status of the myriad of dirt tracks that locals drive and ride motorbikes on? (Genuine question...not after an argument or internet oneupmanship)

Some of the tracks in Spain (pistas) are classed as dirt roads. The ones through the "Badlands of Gorafe" I don't know. I do know that we had to be very careful riding some of them on our full suspension emtbs, and avoid the water washed channels, and we needed full boost to climb up some of the very steep hills.

We've taken our motorhomes off road many times, as participants in Spanish Orienteering competitions, and having to drive to the parking areas, but we wouldn't choose to drive some of the tracks we've seen some people attempting.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Does that mean that you need a fully legal vehicle and driver ?

If you're considering driving off road in Spain I suggest you find out for yourself the status of those particular tracks and make sure your insurance covers you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The satnav also tells me my mothers and my brother houses, both down long un-tarmacked roads are dangerous locations.
Have you upset your family? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
If you're considering driving off road in Spain I suggest you find out for yourself the status of those particular tracks and make sure your insurance covers you.
I'll leave this thread now. My point (echoing what Brains had said in post no 3) appears to have been missed

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think we should but some of these assertions by the insurance companies into context.

The initial decision is often made in the Claims Dept. and possibly by somebody with little experience and training in interpreting legal wording.

It is always worth the insured appealing against the decision. If the denial by the inured is based on an Exclusion Clause then the onus of proving that immediately shifts to the insurer. At this point most insurers would refer the matter to their legal department as any decision to defend the claim denial in Court would rest with them.

The lawyers would have to make a decision about whether the their chances in Court are worth the cost, not only of losing the case but also of paying the claimant's costs, plus their own departmental costs in preparing the case for Court, and possibly briefing an outside Solicitor Advocate or Barrister.

If a case is based on dubious interpretation of wording that may not have been tested before they are unlikely to take the risk and would advise that the claim be paid, or at least negotiated.

To some great extent threatening legal action on a disputed claim puts the insured in quite a strong commercial position vis a vis the insurers.

In essence it is worth taking a denied claim, particularly in the case of MHs where the money involved can be considerable, through a Solicitor to the point of issuing a Notice before Action, which immediately puts the matter into the Insurers' Lawyers' hands.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Have you upset your family? :LOL:
No, but I have upset 'Kate' the GPS on many occasions.

I've called all the names under the sun, included threats of violence, or being ejected forcibly through the window at high speed when the stupid bint has directed me down one way systems the wrong way, across fields and for not given enough warning about turns!

As for her geographic knowledge, it's dreadful!
I know there is a place called Boston in the USA, but if I'm in Lincolnshire, take an educated guess which Boston I want to go to!

I'm amazed she is still talking to me!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm amazed she is still talking to me!
Sometimes our satnav goes silent for a while, I think it's just having a quick kip to recover from the stress of trying to get hubby to follow directions! 😄

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If they were 'out of days' on insurance cover how could they continue?

Presumably the current insurance company cancelled cover and it's not always possible to get fresh cover if you are outside the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
If they were 'out of days' on insurance cover how could they continue?

Presumably the current insurance company cancelled cover and it's not always possible to get fresh cover if you are outside the UK
I think in most cases if you run out of your ‘premium’ insurance cover it resorts to the minimum required in the country you are in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think in most cases if you run out of your ‘premium’ insurance cover it resorts to the minimum required in the country you are in.
As they paid for insurance it would automatically default to third party cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back