The EV Motorhome is a reality and here

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
There are 6 places to fill up in the whole country. Unless it's got a 3000 mile range, it's going to be less convenient than BEV.
Sure more will come on line as its the only way for HGVs to be powered with zero emissions.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sure more will come on line as its the only way for HGVs to be powered with zero emissions.
It's looking like the filler nozzle for hydrogen for cars isn't suitable for HGVs as it's not quick enough. They've developed a different standard. So you aren't going to be able to fill up a hydrogen motorhome at a truck stop.

And anyway, there's an increasing number of trucks that are electric. With some very high capacity charging systems to make them viable. The main driver being that they cost about a third to run per mile compared to hydrogen. And even less if your depot has some solar panels on the roof.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
This is interesting. Adding electric motors to the rear wheels of front wheel drive motorhomes ...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'd hate to see the price .ID Buzz starts at 64k in the UK .
The ID Buzz price includes the retro VW tax. A cynical marketing ploy by VW. I heard VW themselves are going to sell their own Cali-style conversions of the ID Buzz. I expect the price to be much higher than that of their T6 Calis. £100k+ possibly? In terms of interior space it's similar to a Mazda Bongo with electric elevating roof, which you can buy for a bag of chips nowadays. ID Buzz camping is for VW poseurs with loadsamoney.

BYD has just launched the E-Vali large van, 4.25t, 80.64 kWh, with claimed WLTP range of 136-160 miles. That large van might appeal to converters and price-wise will probably undercut the European competition.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This is interesting. Adding electric motors to the rear wheels of front wheel drive motorhomes ...

Adding 25k Euros to the price. I would prefer the Knaus technology approach that seems to be a true self-charging hybrid conversion on the Ducato. But for now there is no indication of the extra cost or whether it will go into production.

A drivetrain that keeps the front wheels driven by an electric traction motor would be my ideal kind of long range hybrid PVC/MH, only using the ICE for charging the smallish HV battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back