The cloud is not a backup. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well got to bed about an hour ago only to be woken up by a client. Urgent they said.. Then leave me hanging while they go find the charger for their laptop. Grrrr.

Anway, checking up on tech news while I wait and found this pearl.

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Horryfying thought of what could be lost. With such important files you would want more than one back up :unsure:

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
This is a bit of a non problem for any bona fide business who must have even basic DR policies. Even as an individual I store across more than one cloud provider.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is a bit of a non problem for any bona fide business who must have even basic DR policies. Even as an individual I store across more than one cloud provider.
Make sure that one cloud provider isn't relying on another for infrastructure. Or that they don't operate the same billing service provider etc.

I personally had a case where my servers were shutdown and formatted due to a billing system error at their end. I had no warning and the accounts were in credit.
It affected one of my other suppliers who I didn't know were using the same provider.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I use software that dates back to 1995. I upgraded from Concurrent DOS (multiuser dos ) to DOS on Novel servers.

Went over to windows, XP being the best.

Software company ended support for windows over 5 years ago and went to a cloud based system.

I won’t risk almost 30 years of data to a cloud system.

Sticking with what we have and it limps along.

But I swear they wrote bugs into the system to try and get users to switch .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2022
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 3019
Exp
20 years +
Ouch, that's not good, that wouldn't have been a good day for the system admins!
I was always wary of automated patching breaking processing in a way that wouldn't be noticed until data had been published.. All of our infrastructure was built using terraform and data backed up to multiple destinations so we were covered for AWS/GCP auto delete, fat finger problems.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Ouch, that's not good, that wouldn't have been a good day for the system admins!
I was always wary of automated patching breaking processing in a way that wouldn't be noticed until data had been published.. All of our infrastructure was built using terraform and data backed up to multiple destinations so we were covered for AWS/GCP auto delete, fat finger problems.

Perfect… DR, HA, BC and data governance/persistence thought about and designed in, as opposed to an afterthought! ✔️

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I back up my files to a usb drive and once month I back everything up to a remote harddrive, I use cloud folders in order to be able to access from different places, I wouldn't trust everything to the cloud

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Dare I ask how many try to restore their backup ? Known more than one instance where afer a crash the backup could not be restored. As ever, never assume !

As for cloud storage, I keep all my data and sensitive files on local storage, multiple drives and in different places.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I find it horrifying how many people do not backup their data, whether it is important stuff relating to finance or (equally) important stuff such as treasured pictures of someone who has now died. Whilst you might be able to rebuild all your financial info with a bit of effort, you can never take those photos again.

Like Odd job I have a few (half a dozen) files on a secure Cloud location just so I can access them whilst away. Everything else is backed up daily via Apple's Time Machine (which I don't trust any more than the built-in hard drive), then weekly to my own USB drives, which are kept in a different location, in a fireproof & waterproof case.

Paranoid? moi? Yes - I've had hard-disk meltdowns at work and know what it is like to have data disappear. It takes very little time and not much effort to set up a backup system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Dare I ask how many try to restore their backup ? Known more than one instance where afer a crash the backup could not be restored. As ever, never assume !

As for cloud storage, I keep all my data and sensitive files on local storage, multiple drives and in different places.
Ive retrieved files from my cloud backup but as I don't backup the software / disk images, Ive not tried a full restore.

It is true that no backup is worth anything until you have successfully recovered something from from it!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had a customer once who had had a server crash, he said they were able to restore from the backup but it was read only so they couldn't update it. I don't know what the outcome was as I didn't go back.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Well got to bed about an hour ago only to be woken up by a client. Urgent they said.. Then leave me hanging while they go find the charger for their laptop. Grrrr.

Anway, checking up on tech news while I wait and found this pearl.

No thank you to the Cloud. Back up to a OMV Server in the Garage (separate building) via a Fibre line.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back