Thatcham S5 Tracker Recommendations (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
LWB VW T6.1
Hi Everyone
Again this is all new to me.
We have a PVC on order and I am looking for insurance.
Caravan Guard seem very reasonable, but have requested that the van has a category S5 tracker fitted.
It comes with category 1 alarm and immobiliser.
And will be stored behind locked gates, parked outside our bedroom window.
It will also have a steering lock fitted at all times.
And the house has CCTV and is alarmed.

It is a minefield on the internet, so many different products and prices and big variations in annual fees.
Anyone any recommendations for the S5 tracker or a different insurer?
Thanks

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We delayed picking up our new MH by 5 weeks, as that was the earliest time we could book our van into Vanbitz down in Taunton, as it could not be insured without an active tracker, plus alarm.
I know we are not the only ones that consider The Strikeback Growler Alarm, with Non Start, and Meta Active Tracker the best on the market, not cheap by any means, but expertly fitted, fully monitored and excellent after sales support by the Vanbitz Team. There is a discount for a 3 year Meta Tracker subscription, but your van will be almost impossible to nick with the non starter added in the mix, check it out.
If I were to buy another van, I wouldn't hesitate in doing the same again, their technical expertise, on everything electrical on a Van/MH is second to none, their Alarm is truly unique, plus you can stay on their lovely campsite for free when booked in for work, with a WC block that is hard to better.
Don't forget you get a Funster discount of 10% but you have to mention it when you book your appointment.
Give Ash a call, talk through your needs & desires, they will do all they can to give you what you need and not oversell.
LES

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We went with NFU insurance as they didn't insist on a tracker. We then got an alarm and tracker fitted at Vanbitz... NFU have still always been cheaper.

Sep 21, 2021
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
Just shopping around and came across the thattcham requirement for the first time
Now I have an immobilizer and i think there is tracker equipment but it would be no longer active

How much does a tracker cost per year?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
We had a Scorpion tracker fitter fitted by the dealer cos we thought we would need it for insurance. It has a feature to make your phone act as a security tag so you dont need to carry another fob around. It has been a right royal pain in the a*rse. Their system phones up with a warning about every time we set off because it doesn't recognise that the phone is present with their app active, which it invariably is 🤬
Not recommended!
And LV weren't interested in whether we have a tracker or not 🤬

May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
We have a PVC and had the meta trak S5 deadlock. And we pay a subscription. We figured we spent our savings on the van; therefore, spending a bit more on the immobiliser and tracker was worth it. The web link gives quite a lot of information including settings zones. E.g is the van goes outside those zones, contact us etc. We've had the call centre ring us a few times over the years. All my fault where I didn't replace the keyfob battery.
We would install it again if we got a new van.
1727357855665.png

1727357864222.png

1727357891670.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I had a Scorpion S5+ tracker fitted at the dealers before I picked up the new van. So far very pleased with it.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Got a Smartrack S5 fitted, monitored by Global Telemetrics, comes with a decent app for monitoring position and vehicle battery. Still getting used to having to switch on/off card when using vehicle but all very straightforward. Insurance happy with the product.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I had a Scorpion S5+ tracker fitted at the dealers before I picked up the new van. So far very pleased with it.
Do you use the phone tag or the physical tag? As above I have had loads of trouble with the phone tag. I am on android and it seemed that all their techs use iphones and weren't familiar with android use.
I have given up and ignore the calls and texts warning me the van may be stolen, mainly cos I'm invariably sat in it.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Another vote for Vanbitz here, I have a Growler and non starter, it has been extremely reliable with no false alarms and it will send you a text message if your alarm is triggered, the non starter also has a self monitored tracker in it however for insurance requirements I think you will need the monitored subscription which is an option.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Do you use the phone tag or the physical tag? As above I have had loads of trouble with the phone tag. I am on android and it seemed that all their techs use iphones and weren't familiar with android use.
I have given up and ignore the calls and texts warning me the van may be stolen, mainly cos I'm invariably sat in it.....
We have our iPhones set as tags but I always have the supplied tag too so no idea whether they work. I have had the occasional message to say one has been detected but no erroneous messages about it being stolen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back